CECIL HURT: Sooner or later, things have to change for Alabama basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
At the risk of sounding like a Texas fan..... Money isn't an issue for us (U of A)

It's way past time we open up the wallet and get a Top Tier Established College Basketball Coach.

Let's put a Top Five offer out there and see who bites.... I'm talking $4.5-$5 Million+ a Year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Marty, from what Cecil writes, the Advertiser was wrong about the buyout dropping to six million. I'd bet on Cecil, any day...
Just looked again. Cecil has made a change to the article to indicate the drop to $6 million on April 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
there is also 2 coach ,s available Matta or Hoiberg both averaged 20 + wins a season but I would take Billy Donnavan nothing with Grant being fired.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I would let him coach 2 more years then recruit another coach coming into a new arena.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
The last paragraph pretty much summed it up for me. I am not going to watch more of the same from Alabama basketball any longer. I had been a fan of the Atlanta Falcons from childhood; but after the loss to the Patriots in the Super Bowl, I got fed up with their choke jobs. Haven't watched a game since. I'm at that point with Alabama basketball.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm not up to speed on all the financial and budget details of your athletic program, so please forgive my ignorance.

It "seems" to me that since your football program has been so fantastic over such a long period of time, you would have adequate funds to do whatever is needed to revamp your basketball facilities.

From what I read in this thread - am I right that decisions are being made due to factors other than just whether funds are available or not?

I'm not sure what you do about that, I guess.

Back to the coaching discussion though - what if Coach Avery stays for another year and you guys get to the sweet 16 or further? With the returning players and new ones coming in, doesn't next season look more promising? Or is that idea just a 'rinse and repeat' of the past 3 years?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
No way we're going to be a sweet 16 team... I don't care who we bring in with one of the worst ball-handling teams I've ever seen for Alabama basketball... sadly I see more of the same next season.. fighting to be first 4 in or first 4 out

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm not up to speed on all the financial and budget details of your athletic program, so please forgive my ignorance.

It "seems" to me that since your football program has been so fantastic over such a long period of time, you would have adequate funds to do whatever is needed to revamp your basketball facilities.

From what I read in this thread - am I right that decisions are being made due to factors other than just whether funds are available or not?

I'm not sure what you do about that, I guess.

Back to the coaching discussion though - what if Coach Avery stays for another year and you guys get to the sweet 16 or further? With the returning players and new ones coming in, doesn't next season look more promising? Or is that idea just a 'rinse and repeat' of the past 3 years?
We could prioritize being more competitive in men's basketball but the plan and/or commitment doesn't seem great to me. Avery Johnson was a higher profile gamble. Anthony Grant was considered one of the up and comers. We haven't hired bad coaches given the market the last two times but it just isn't working. The arena is bad for basketball. It is one of those multi-purpose facilities that fails in some way for each sport it houses. Accordingly, fan interest just isn't there for going to a bad venue to watch a mediocre product.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
No way we're going to be a sweet 16 team... I don't care who we bring in with one of the worst ball-handling teams I've ever seen for Alabama basketball... sadly I see more of the same next season.. fighting to be first 4 in or first 4 out
Worst FT shooting teams, Worst at running plays, Worst at Smart Shot selection... etc etc you name it.

I mean we had the same record and type of team last year with a legit NBA Lottery pick running the show.

Sexton is a BEAST. He’s averaging 16ppg for a horrible Cavs team as a rookie and he’s really broke out the last 4-5 games scoring 23-28 ppg....

We should have been a Sweet Sixteen team AT LEAST last year if not Elite 8.

CAJ just can’t coach kids....and by that I don’t mean he doesn’t know the X’s And O’s.... I’m saying he can’t relay that info to them and teach it and get them to do it.

He’s GOT to GO.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Hate to say it but I agree. Not to mention atrocious free throw shooting which burned the team several times this season.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Obviously I think some coaching could have been better... but at the same time I think you have to also take a look at the assistants... we have recruited well from a star standpoint but in my opinion horribly from a needs standpoint... a team lacking ball-handlers yet we recruit guys who aren't good ball-handlers.. just so many negatives.. I'm an Avery Johnson fan but I just don't see a scenario where we can dig out of this hole anytime soon

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
As I have said Hoiberg and Matta are available both average 20+ wins a season or would it be worth the wait for Billy Donnavan and please NO Steve Prohm.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
As I have said Hoiberg and Matta are available both average 20+ wins a season or would it be worth the wait for Billy Donnavan and please NO Steve Prohm.
Unfortunately, I don’t think Hoiberg will be an option. STRONG rumors that Bill Self is going to make a jump to the NBA, and Hoiberg will be the top candidate at Kansas. UCLA is also a big possibility for Hoiberg, although I think Chris Beard will be their hire. Now UNLV is open, which is a pretty attractive job because of its history. Billy Donovan isn’t a realistic option IMO. (Although, most people said that Coach Saban wasn’t a realistic option for us back when) for the record, I called the Saban hire (I wasn’t on tidefans then lol)

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
This is what I believe, imo and I know I might be wrong.. is that it is more on the players this year. Now I know a Coach is supposed to make them better but there’s also so much a coach can do with certain individuals. I’ve said this in a previous thread but I think our minutes next year will be a lot more productive with different guys this year. I’d go into detail but I’d rather not bash players. If he doesn’t come up with a productive lineup/season next year then I’ll reevaluate. I feel like we overachieved with this roster earlier in the year and came back down to earth later unfortunately. Our preseason predictions were not great based on our roster for this year. And yeah Sexton is a beast and lighting it up, but he’s still learning to make his team better and be a teammate instead of an individual, which was a problem here too and probably more magnified because of our talent level besides him. Coach is just as aggravated as most of us and I think he’s a guy that hates failure and will keep adjusting until he gets it right. Give him 1 more year and see what he does with all of his guys

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Obviously I think some coaching could have been better... but at the same time I think you have to also take a look at the assistants... we have recruited well from a star standpoint but in my opinion horribly from a needs standpoint... a team lacking ball-handlers yet we recruit guys who aren't good ball-handlers.. just so many negatives.. I'm an Avery Johnson fan but I just don't see a scenario where we can dig out of this hole anytime soon
This is one of the things I said he would need to change if he stays. Two true assistants and one recruiter instead of one assistant and two recruiters.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
I keep seeing Bama fans mention Donovan. What makes anyone think he would come here? He’s doing well with the Thunder, and I highly doubt he would have any interest. Donovan could have his pick of college jobs if he ever wanted out of the NBA. This isn’t football.

Hoiberg and Matta would be more realistic. One thing to keep in mind with both is that Hoiberg hates recruiting, and Matta had some health concerns prior. Hopefully, those are behind him.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It is well recognized that Cecil pretty much has his finger on the pulse of the temperament of the Alabama fan base. And Cecil isn’t a knee jerk reaction kind of guy. He is always rather deliberate and measured in both what he writes and says.
When you lose Cecil, you’ve lost the fan base. And Byrne can’t take a chance on another 18-14 .500 team in the SEC next year. Fans are already “unbuckled”
I certainly wont be making the trek down to Tuscaloosa next season if CAJ is still there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.