CECIL HURT: Sooner or later, things have to change for Alabama basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Alabama was serious about basketball then Pearl would be here and not Auburn. Alabama basketball is just a tax write off. I honestly think Bama is actually more behind softball and golf than basketball for spring sports, and if Bohannan continues to improve baseball then baseball will also overtake them.
Bill Battle wasn't about to hire a guy with a show cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Yet the man just won the SEC yesterday and has owned the coach we did hire. Auburn took a gamble and it has paid off.
With Pearl's history, that's way premature. He has repeatedly shown the ability and the willingness to do damage to an institution that trumps anything he accomplishes on the court.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yet the man just won the SEC yesterday and has owned the coach we did hire. Auburn took a gamble and it has paid off.
All true.

Also true - he has had two assistants on his last two staffs associated with bribery cases.

The gamble paid off yesterday, but the end result could be drastically different in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
All true.

Also true - he has had two assistants on his last two staffs associated with bribery cases.

The gamble paid off yesterday, but the end result could be drastically different in a few years.

Also, define "paid off". Winning the SEC in MBB is not worth risking the ire of the NCAA. IMO, it only pays off in the make it to a final 4 or better.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Bill Battle wasn't about to hire a guy with a show cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And that is definitely not something you do as a short-timer as everyone knew him to be when Mal Moore passed. You gotta be there to own it if it goes sideways. To be honest, I don't think Byrne would've pulled the trigger either.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
All true.

Also, define "paid off". Winning the SEC in MBB is not worth risking the ire of the NCAA. IMO, it only pays off in the make it to a final 4 or better.
And that is definitely not something you do as a short-timer as everyone knew him to be when Mal Moore passed. You gotta be there to own it if it goes sideways. To be honest, I don't think Byrne would've pulled the trigger either.
But y’all are also forgetting that Battle hired a baseball coach that was a known one to straddle the line with compliance just because we could get him cheap and actually got NCAA compliance on campus his first year and only year. Granted Byrne fires him, but Battle hired him. So really what’s the difference between Battle’s decision to hire Goff when fans are calling for Gaspard’s head and not jump at the chance at Pearl when your fans are calling for Anthony Grant’s head?

I just think it screams Alabama isn’t as serious about basketball as Auburn and 3/4ths of the SEC is. But then again 3/4ths of the SEC don’t care as much as us about football

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But y’all are also forgetting that Battle hired a baseball coach that was a known one to straddle the line with compliance just because we could get him cheap and actually got NCAA compliance on campus his first year and only year. Granted Byrne fires him, but Battle hired him. So really what’s the difference between Battle’s decision to hire Goff when fans are calling for Gaspard’s head and not jump at the chance at Pearl when your fans are calling for Anthony Grant’s head?
I don't think that Goff was doing the kind of things that get a program in real trouble with the NCAA, but maybe more happened than I read about.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think that Goff was doing the kind of things that get a program in real trouble with the NCAA, but maybe more happened than I read about.
Getting NCAA Compliance on campus isn’t real trouble???

Goff threatened to take away scholarships and practiced players atleast an hour longer than the NCAA allowed. Both are major violations. There was a lot of evidence of him doing this same kinda crap at Montevallo but Battle hired him anyway.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Getting NCAA Compliance on campus isn’t real trouble???

Goff threatened to take away scholarships and practiced players atleast an hour longer than the NCAA allowed. Both are major violations. There was a lot of evidence of him doing this same kinda crap at Montevallo but Battle hired him anyway.
Yeah, I wouldn't want that happening at Alabama or OSU, so I get your point.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
When you mention Pearl in conjunction with 'Bama, you can't help but talk about his personal shucked oyster, Gottfraud, who brought Pearl's name to prominence when 'Bama lost to his Wisconsin-Milwaukee team in a first-round tournament game 15 years ago.

Luckily, when things with the basketball program are going from bad to reverse, 'Bama can always enjoy a little retro-schadenfreude at Gottfraud's expense, or at the expense of the AD who hired him at NC State to leave another program if not in ruins, then in misery - yes, another one. Also worth noting there may be more to come (apart) from Gottfraud, since his first UC-Davis team just went 11-20...

People keep mentioning Pearl, but Pearl was NEVER a realistic option for us. 1) He was hired at Auburn the year before we made a change. 2) Even if we would have made a change Pearl was still under show cause when the barn hired him. There was no way in Haitis that we were going to hire someone that the NCAA was going to be keeping a close eye on.

This is also just my opinion and an educated guess, but I think Pearl, very well, could be the next coach at UCLA.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The reality is if Byrne were to make a change, he'd have done it with the women's program which was and is still in bad shape. if he didn't get rid of her, he sure isn't making a move on Coach Johnson who will cost athletics millions to fire. He get at least 1 more year for sure. I really thought this year would be our year, but we never seemed to be focused. We were in game 33 or 34 and we still don't have a set rotation.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
First of all, I apologize if I don't respond back to this thread, I assure you I am not ignoring the comments. I may be in the minority, but I think Avery needs to get another chance with the team next year, and he needs to start with his staff, figure out what needs to be changed. He needs to add someone who can create some point on offense and get maximum efforts out of the players. I'm not sure if we have that on the staff. I think there is a disturb pattern going on with Avery though. When he was coaching Nets... That team couldn't play defense to save their life. I often wondered if it was the players or the coach's inability to communicate with the players. Look back to when Mavericks fired him after players threated to call mutiny on the team if Cuban didn't fire Avery... There is a pattern there. Johnson can coach like nobody else, but I often wonder if he learned his lesson about relating to the players and communicate in an effective way. He has control issue and that doesn't always sit well with young players.

Should he come back and I think he will, he needs to make major changes... related to his strategy overall. I'm talking about practices, in game subs, know his rotations, etc. Make some adjustments... and get players to buy in and we would be okay. I don't think bringing in a new coach will solve anything. we would be right here in same spot in 3 years with same results.

A change in staff will solve few things. Avery has to make changes within himself as well.

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
I keep seeing Bama fans mention Donovan. What makes anyone think he would come here? He’s doing well with the Thunder, and I highly doubt he would have any interest. Donovan could have his pick of college jobs if he ever wanted out of the NBA. This isn’t football.Hoiberg and Matta would be more realistic.
I hope you're not in sales. :)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If he does come back I think it’ll be a big help not having Jr on the team. That was a distraction and turned into something weird this season. Jr regressed and I’m sure it was tough for Avery to cut or limit his PT..

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
Avery has PROVEN he can't do the job. Make Pelphrey an Interim while you plot your next move.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Avery has PROVEN he can't do the job. Make Pelphrey an Interim while you plot your next move.
Enormous "No confidence" vote putting the kibosh on that notion. Pelphrey's the least assuming head coach material, or assistant for that matter, since Red Klotz of the Washington Generals.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
When Auburn hired Bruce Pearl they were bigger jobs open nobody beating the door down to get him if we had hired him NCAA would been our doorsteps. NCAA is like the IRS. they come when you don't expect it.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The reality is that Alabama basketball will continue on its downward spiral until the athletic dept quits treating it like a red head step child. We've allowed our facilities to become woefully outdated, we won't spend the money necessary for it to be perceived as a top level program. We've spent more money on baseball than we have on basketball in the past 10 years in terms of facilities. I've heard AD after AD say the same line. Let spend 200 million on football and if we have any left over, we'll spend a few bucks on an Coleman again. It is well past time to replace Coleman. If we want a basketball team that will make us proud ,we'll have to let Greg Byrne know. It is our program we have supported and we deserve better. LETS get a new coach and give him the tools to make us a perennial contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.