CECIL HURT: Sooner or later, things have to change for Alabama basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Enormous "No confidence" vote putting the kibosh on that notion. Pelphrey's the least assuming head coach material, or assistant for that matter, since Red Klotz of the Washington Generals.
I’m not a fan of the idea, but Pelphrey is the only logical choice when considering the current staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'd prefer to keep being mediocre, or worse, than to ever have Pearl as head coach. Character counts with me and he doesn't have any.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I'd prefer to keep being mediocre, or worse, than to ever have Pearl as head coach. Character counts with me and he doesn't have any.
Never wanted the snake oil selling, carnival sideshow barker Pearl anywhere near our program. The guy never has been able to recognize the truth going back to his days as an assistant at Iowa. He and Rick Pitino probably vacation together and spend their free time playing “hold my beer and watch this”.
UT was willing to “go to the mat” for him over the BBQ violations and his lying to the NCAA until they realized he had continued to lie to them about other violations.
My choice was Rick Barnes when Texas cut him loose. I thought he would be a good choice for the program. He had spent a year here on Wimp’s staff in the mid 90’s prior to moving to Providence as an assistant, and later, head coach.
I’ve heard from different people different things. Both with pretty good knowledge of the happenings in the athletic department. One says “the money isn’t there. It ain’t happening for another year if then”. The other says “Byrne has the green light. When the NIT is done for the team, Byrne will talk with Avery about the “state of the program” and make a decision”.
However, nothing is going to happen until his buyout drops next month.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Is the reason for waiting until 2021 related at all to seeing how long CNS stays in place in Tuscaloosa? Everything at our Alma mater revolves around football. If it's continuing to perform at a high level with CNS in place, sure, why not, spend the money, build the arena, hire a legend at basketball. If he's gone by then, or about to announce, then enrollment, performance, attendance, etc, will wane. Football supports the world in Tuscaloosa.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Is the reason for waiting until 2021 related at all to seeing how long CNS stays in place in Tuscaloosa? Everything at our Alma mater revolves around football. If it's continuing to perform at a high level with CNS in place, sure, why not, spend the money, build the arena, hire a legend at basketball. If he's gone by then, or about to announce, then enrollment, performance, attendance, etc, will wane. Football supports the world in Tuscaloosa.
Yes, football rules the roost in Tuscaloosa, but mens basketball brings in substantial money from the viewership on the SEC network and the ticket revenue. It is not a non revenue sport. The metrics are there to build a new arena if there was some thought put into it. I believe fans would pay more in Tide pride revenue and ticket prices with a new arena. You could have concerts, (which UA hasn't had in Coleman in close to 30 years), you could also have conventions which could help pay for it. Right now no one at UA wants to think that far in advance. You have to eventually replace a 50 year old building simply due to the age of the building itself. That does not take into account the excitement you'd have from the fans that would help rejuvenate the program. Basketball is in a rut and until UA realizes this and decides they want to compete, it will continue to slide. Look at the problem from the point of view of a donor. Would you contribute to renovate a 50 year old building or would you be more likely to give money to build a state of the art basketball facility?

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Ryan Brown said this morning on the JOX Roundtable; that his sources are telling him that Greg Byrne wants to make a change, but there are a few obstacles. 1) The huge buyout is an obvious one. 2) Avery has been a good ambassador for the program, so they want to find some way of not firing him. This is going to be an interesting few weeks.

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
Ryan Brown said this morning on the JOX Roundtable; that his sources are telling him that Greg Byrne wants to make a change, but there are a few obstacles. 1) The huge buyout is an obvious one. 2) Avery has been a good ambassador for the program, so they want to find some way of not firing him. This is going to be an interesting few weeks.
Saban could make him an analyst.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

If that’s the case, pull the trigger and worry about the money later UNLESS the contract requires a large chunk be paid within a certain timeframe.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Part of the issue is also that I believe Pelphrey will be owed a pretty large chunk of cash as well. I think he makes well over 1 million a year. I wonder if Coach Johnson could go back to ESPN if he choose to so. I suspect he doesn't not want to stay here if he isn't the coach. A mutual parting would be best for all involved.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

This is the first indication this may happen (assuming Brown has some decent connections). Really wish Avery would leave on his own without it coming to firing him. Obviously, this would mean that both parties make some kind of deal.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
I really don’t want to lose Juwan Gary, Jalen Forbes, or Jaden Shackleford. I won’t be upset if a change isn’t made this year. I’m fine with him getting another year if we can get these guys on campus, along with Trendon. None of them are one and done.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I really don’t want to lose Juwan Gary, Jalen Forbes, or Jaden Shackleford. I won’t be upset if a change isn’t made this year. I’m fine with him getting another year if we can get these guys on campus, along with Trendon. None of them are one and done.

I completely understand and it is a good class coming in, but do you believe this class will be better fundamentally three years down the road? Or will they be like the last couple of classes which have been pretty decent classes coming in, but never really progressed much.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I've thought all along this is probably what will end up happening (CAJ getting one more year) but Brown's comments may signal Byrne is about to make a mark.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This is the first indication this may happen (assuming Brown has some decent connections). Really wish Avery would leave on his own without it coming to firing him. Obviously, this would mean that both parties make some kind of deal.
This would really be the best scenario. Avery lands on his feet with another opportunity elsewhere while we give a few extra dollars to “cushion” that landing.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009

I completely understand and it is a good class coming in, but do you believe this class will be better fundamentally three years down the road? Or will they be like the last couple of classes which have been pretty decent classes coming in, but never really progressed much.
Even if it doesn’t workout next year and we have a coaching search those guys are here on campus. They aren’t one and done players, but I think they are already better skilled wise than our 2017 signing class (outside of Sexton).

With them not being one and done’s they will likely be here and get coached up under someone new if it doesn’t workout with CAJ after one more year. Chess not checkers my friend lol.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
I trust Greg Byrne too with the recruiting class coming in and get Watford wonder if we get Billy Donavan which is likely to happen and of course nobody we thought we would hire Saban right now say either Billy Donavan or bust.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I trust Greg Byrne too with the recruiting class coming in and get Watford wonder if we get Billy Donavan which is likely to happen and of course nobody we thought we would hire Saban right now say either Billy Donavan or bust.
I've seen you mention BD multiple times. You think it "is likely to happen." Can you explain this or is this just your pipe dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.