CECIL HURT: Sooner or later, things have to change for Alabama basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
Wow they were monumentally bad!!! They were playing as if they didnt care at times šŸ˜¬ They certainly werent moving as fast as that other team. I for one am suprised they didnt play alittle peppier at home

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We'd have better off not taking the NIT bid. The worst effort I've seen in a while. Our big guys simply didn't show up. We lost the game inside. I have no idea what is going to happen, but this is simply unacceptable.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
We'd have better off not taking the NIT bid. The worst effort I've seen in a while. Our big guys simply didn't show up. We lost the game inside. I have no idea what is going to happen, but this is simply unacceptable.
Frankly, if taking the NIT bid led to a loss and having AJ gone, it was worth it.

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
There is no excuse for they way this team played the second half of the season. They gave up. "Buckle Up" I guess that is so you don't fall out of your seat when you fall asleep watching a team that does not care or play hard.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I really donā€™t want to lose Juwan Gary, Jalen Forbes, or Jaden Shackleford. I wonā€™t be upset if a change isnā€™t made this year. Iā€™m fine with him getting another year if we can get these guys on campus, along with Trendon. None of them are one and done. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surely these guys and/or parents can see the state of the program. If Avery is retained, I can't imagine it would be that fun of a year for them.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Put yourself in Greg Byrne's shoes. It's easy to say, "fire Johnson." Cecil's article says that the buyout goes from $9 million to $8 million in a few weeks.

My feeling is that another year of Johnson would do more than $1 million damage to the program, and you'd end up with no choice but to fire him in March of 2020, with high school level talent for the new guy to work with. So that would indicate a change now.

But then what? Or more properly, then who? I don't have a good answer for that one.

Here's my suggestion: Bite the bullet, demolish Coleman, and build a new 8,000 seat arena. Move the start date up to 2020. Pay $4 million for a new coach, and put in his contract that if the new arena doesn't start at that time, he is free to leave with his buyout.

I think those terms would attract someone we couldn't normally get.

The obvious downside is the cost. It would be expensive. But how expensive is having a basketball program in the doldrums for nearly two decades? I believe the donor support would respond to the commitment, and offset a lot of it.

OR

We decide we are perpetually a .500 team (.333 in the SEC), come to terms with that, and keep Johnson.
totally agree. We have effed up twice with "renovations" to Coleman. We need a MUCH smaller and intimate arena that resonates and looks like a "real" basketball palace, instead of a depressing, ugly, aircraft hangar. We can't stand going. It's awful.

BUT, if the admin doesn't decide to do the deeds and make the commitments, then how can we as fans (and players) be expected to make the commitment to buy tickets, show up, play hard, and support these teams. The cess pool is getting deeper, and the quicksand is becoming more and more inescapable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!ā€></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.