Per Finebaum-Rift between Coach Saban and smart:link

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The fact that he and Saban may no longer be close, and the fact that Smart may never be welcomed back in Tuscaloosa is moot since he has his dream job at his alma mater. I do think what Smart did was classless.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
https://thespun.com/college-football/kirby-smart-nick-saban-rift-recruiting-paul-finebaum

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so Ill leave this here.
Finebaum has his own opinions on how Saban did things last season
with hiring great recruiters vs great coaches. I don't agree with
everything he says but it is an interesting idea.
This has been known for several years and discussed at length on the recruiting board. Kirby is the enemy and needs to be treated that way totally.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The fact that he and Saban may no longer be close, and the fact that Smart may never be welcomed back in Tuscaloosa is moot since he has his dream job at his alma mater. I do think what Smart did was classless.
While it may indeed be moot right now, my seven decades on the planet have taught me that you should be VERY judicious in determining the bridges that you burn.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This has been known for several years and discussed at length on the recruiting board. Kirby is the enemy and needs to be treated that way totally.
Yep. This is the worst kept secret in college football.

I’ve said in other threads that I didn’t know how CNS could be somewhat cordial during side by side interviews the last 2 years....(Other than his general professionalism of course).

Kirby’s not just a Tool.... he’s the the whole Shed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ve not ever been on the “Kirby is the heir apparent” bandwagon when he was here, and after talking to several defensive players from 2011-2016 I really started to be adamant against it. They basically said the outside opinions of Kirby and Pruitt are actually the opposite from what they really are. Kirby is the egotistical hothead that thinks he is God’s gift to football and Pruitt is the guy you want to run through a wall for.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Watching Kirby jump up and down, before every snap, trying to outmaneuver the other team's maneuvers got old. And seemingly led to a lot of "3rd and Kirbys".

Pruitt just told 'em what to do, and let them play. At least that is how it looked from 600 miles away.

The rest of what you stated doesn't sound surprising.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Watching Kirby jump up and down, before every snap, trying to outmaneuver the other team's maneuvers got old. And seemingly led to a lot of "3rd and Kirbys".

Pruitt just told 'em what to do, and let them play. At least that is how it looked from 600 miles away.

The rest of what you stated doesn't sound surprising.
I was referring to how Kirby is often viewed as that “ good country boy” and Pruitt is viewed like a “ propst clone”. From what heard it’s the opposite.

FWIW I’ve always seen Kirby as a typical barn coach even when he was here. He an over glorified position coach that got blessed with a crazy amount talent.

But to be fair I’m kinda surprised Pruitt has changed the Tennessee mentality as fast as he has. They have a long ways to go but they seem to have more fight in them as a whole than they have had since Kiffin.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Exactly. Thought something new had come up but read the article and it was the same thing from 3 years ago..

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Exactly. Thought something new had come up but read the article and it was the same thing from 3 years ago..
I don't see anything new here as well. It looks like to me to be Finebaum trying to dredge up old stories. I guess Paul doesn't get enough attention in the off season.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
While it may indeed be moot right now, my seven decades on the planet have taught me that you should be VERY judicious in determining the bridges that you burn.
One of my first bosses after I passed the Bar exam once said to me, "Don't be too mean to people. You never know when you might end up working for them."

I've always tried to keep that tucked in the back of my mind...

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Smart showed his true colors when he walked out the door. I don't think anyone cares if he and Saban get along or not at Alabama. Lets just keep beating him like we do all of the other Saban disciples.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Kirby is perfectly suited for a program like UGA. They will eternally come up short, sometimes JUST short, as we have all seen and been grateful for. They are always a tough out, and having to play Alabama in two straight high stakes, national title on the line games, and coming up lame, just adds ONE MORE SCHOOL to the growing list of people who call themselves "rivals to Alabama". Frankly, it's getting old. And now that they have worked a deal to move the Auburn game in the schedule, they are clearly trying to position themselves for plenty of rest before potentially playing the Tide in Atlanta every season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.