The Rocket 8

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Wasn't E.B. Hamner on that '56 squad also? He became a friend in later years and died tragically young. By '57, I was playing intramural and Lambert came around recruiting players. That's where the point-shavers came from...
Yes, Hamner was a member of the 56-57 team, more of a rebounder than a scorer I believe. Of course I'm pretty safe in saying that since Kubiszyn and Fulmer did the bulk of the scoring.

I remember the nationwide point shaving scandal and that Kaplan, Quidazzi, and Vogel were all involved to some extent or other. Didn't remember that they came from intramurals though. Probably some of the guys that used to hang out playing on that old court on the third floor of the athletics office building (forgotten the name of the building). I saw Fulmer get into a bit of scuffle with Valetto, didn't work out too well for Fulmer.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
His son Jack was a great intramural player at Bama in the mid 80s and is a fine real estate lawyer in Bham now. He's closed many deals for my employer.
Yes, and also the point-shaver team with Quindazzi, Cohen, etc. Kubiszyn married and stayed in Alabama, incidentally...

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
56-57 was not the Rocket 8. That was 55-56. He questioned if Hamner was on the Rocket 8 squad. Or I misunderstood his question.

https://rolltide.com/documents/2016/6/23//roster5657.pdf?id=3715

https://rolltide.com/documents/2016/6/23//roster5556.pdf?id=3716
Agreed that 56-57 wasn't the Rocket Eight and while I may certainly be wrong, my response was in the context of my earlier exchange with Earle. In any case if I annoyed you I certainly did not intend to and apologize.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Agreed that 56-57 wasn't the Rocket Eight and while I may certainly be wrong, my response was in the context of my earlier exchange with Earle. In any case if I annoyed you I certainly did not intend to and apologize.
No problem, no annoyance, and no need for you to apologize. I suppose I misunderstood him. He said '56 team and I always consider one number to be the last year in the season. So '56 would be the Rocket 8 year.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not quite as old as some of you guys, but I did get to see the Kentucky team of Jaracz, Conley, Kron, Dampier and Riley beat Alabama 91-65 at Foster Auditorium. Sat not far behind Coach Adolph Rupp; Foster was packed that night.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.