Question: Renters

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
I've had a property management company (a very bad one, unfortunately) handling a rental property 500 miles from me (it's a house my mother owns). After finally evicting these people (unpaid rent), my sister discovered yesterday that they took the washer and drier. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm getting the feeling from Googling that I'm just you-know-what out of luck.

My cousin is a property manager, but she is outside of Alabama and cannot tell me if laws in Florida apply in Alabama.

If anyone knows anything, I am all ears. Thanks

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You can almost certainly charge them but you will almost certainly never see a penny - leaving out the washer, drier, and time and money spent chasing deadbeats.

It sucks, but it's what renting is.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've had a property management company (a very bad one, unfortunately) handling a rental property 500 miles from me (it's a house my mother owns). After finally evicting these people (unpaid rent), my sister discovered yesterday that they took the washer and drier. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm getting the feeling from Googling that I'm just you-know-what out of luck.

My cousin is a property manager, but she is outside of Alabama and cannot tell me if laws in Florida apply in Alabama.

If anyone knows anything, I am all ears. Thanks
I own rental property. Go to Lowe's, apply for a Lowe's Card (12-18 month interest free financing) buy new ones, then write it off on your taxes. It will be much cheaper than trying to recoup from former tenant.

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Just kiss the washer and dryer goodbye and do what buzzard suggested. Find a new management company and have them explain what the laws are in FL as far as kicking people out and how the handle it.. If they can't, keep looking for a new property manager. The laws can vary greatly from state to state. My SIL does a lot of rentals in AR and he became a lawyer just because he got tired of paying someone else to do these things for him. One trick he uses to get people to pay on time is to give them a discount for paying before the end of the month. Doesn't have to be much, $20 or so will motivate most people to pay early.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Could you report it to police as a theft?
Little late here. Sorry.

Yes, you can report it to the police but probably nothing will happen. Do you have the serial #s for the machines? If not forget it. Your property manager should be able to report the debts to the credit bureau she uses so it will show up on the tenant's credit report.

If you officially evicted them, you could have filed an unlawful detainer for a money judgment at the same time for about the same cost.

Unless the market or house conditions demand it (stackable for example or beach rental maybe), I would not furnish a washer and a dryer. Most house renters worth a darn have their own.
If your ex-tenant is a corporate employee of means, you have a good chance of collecting the money from the tenant's paycheck once a judgment is rendered. Otherwise, Blood from a turnip applies.
A good property manager is very hard to find.
http://www.madisoncountycircuitclerk.org/unlawful-detainers/

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/overview-landlord-tenant-laws-alabama.html

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.