Can Bama be good in both Basketball and Football at the same time?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Our football success isn't keeping us from being successful in basketball. As a matter of fact, considering the student body is composed of more out of state kids now than ever before, it ought to help with basketball interest among kids from regions outside the south.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Our football success isn't keeping us from being successful in basketball. As a matter of fact, considering the student body is composed of more out of state kids now than ever before, it ought to help with basketball interest among kids from regions outside the south.
Yeah but the question always will come back to “ why A= -B, or -A= B, but never A=B”. It’s just a pattern that never changes even there shouldn’t be any connection between the two. It’s like explaining Kentucky as and a football team.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
When I was at Bama (90-92) we were good at both. I would think that both coaches could use the success of the other program to help in their recruiting. I want all Bama programs to be great. Due to ebbs and flows, it is impossible to be great at everything all of the time, but that should be the goal. Football is king at Bama, but Bama basketball has been very good in the past. Unfortunately, the success that we had is getting farther and farther in the past. We need to get something done. We made a bad deal on the CAJ contract, so I think we are stuck with him for now, so all we can hope is that he brings in some guys that fit well with what we have and that they suddenly decide that basic skills and effort matter.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
pretty darn good at both in the seventies with Coach Bryant and Coach Newton. Although supposedly football was why CM left. the 5 years from 1972 to 1977 we averaged 23-5 finishing first in the SEC 3 years in a row and finishing no worse than 3rd in the conference. of course coach Bryant had the Football team competing for a national championship every year.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
pretty darn good at both in the seventies with Coach Bryant and Coach Newton. Although supposedly football was why CM left. the 5 years from 1972 to 1977 we averaged 23-5 finishing first in the SEC 3 years in a row and finishing no worse than 3rd in the conference. of course coach Bryant had the Football team competing for a national championship every year.
C.M. told me he left because after more than a decade of presenting great basketball, he never knew who would be in the stands. The final straw was the 1979 Georgia game.

This support thing is tricky. Students don’t always show up or stay very long at the football games. Why do we think they’ll support a so-called lesser sport?

As for the original question: Yes, it's possible at Alabama. It's been done in the '70s and the early '90s.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah but the question always will come back to “ why A= -B, or -A= B, but never A=B”. It’s just a pattern that never changes even there shouldn’t be any connection between the two. It’s like explaining Kentucky as and a football team.
If Bryant had stayed at UK, they would be great at both sports, such would his legacy have been. You just need the right coach.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Absolutely. Could Florida, Florida St, now Auburn, the top Big10 schools.... That's an excuse that should've been left in the 70s (when we were ironically much better at bball than we are now). Absolutely, we can.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
We have invested the resources necessary to be successful in hoops. The payback has been a negative return.

There is ZERO reason for not being successful. Wimp did it with a LOT fewer resources because he knew how to coach and get the best out of his teams. Those since Wimp have failed in their mission to elevate hoops at Bama. It’s not that we can’t have both major sports succeed. It’s that fans aren’t going to support a team that loses so many winnable games. Tonight’s attendance is a preview of what’s to come if a change isn’t made.

This team should have been a mid-seed NCAA tourney team. Instead we lose 7 of last 10 (I think) and solidify ourselves as a lower rung SEC team.

I have no idea what the AD will do re: coaching change but tonight was a totally unacceptable outcome. Especially if it was a postseason audition on how to make meaningful adjustments before and during the game. So disappointing.

My guess is a month from now AJ is $6mm richer and we are trying to find the right guy.

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Yes... Bama can be good in both sports. That means football can be great and basketball can be good. Basketball can be "consistently making the NCAA tournament good".
I would be very happy with that.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
We've done it before in basketball, we've done it before in baseball, we do it with softball and gymnastics.
The powers that be need to go ahead and make a full commitment to the program.
Players talk about smaller crowds and I would respond with be consistent and win games that you should win and be competetive. Do something to bring the crowds back because Bama used to put people in the seats when Bama put a good product on the court. Don't lolliegag around in warmups and lose to NORFOLK ST at home.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I said this in another thread. I think Byrne is the type of AD who fully understands the value of being competitive in other sports besides football. Battle wasn’t that. Moore wasn’t that. I think Byrne is. And frankly, he walked into a great spot. He doesn’t have to give much thought to football. He can devote necessary energy and research into the sports that are struggling.

I trust Byrne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Purely Hypothetical --

With zero head coaching experience, if we had Nicholas Lou Saban as our Men's Basketball Head Coach, who doesn't believe we would make the tournament every year?

If the answer is yes.....then the answer to the question is yes....

We just aren't looking for a program builder.......and I don't know why

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.