Who replaces Avery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If they bring him back, I'm done as a fan of the program. He's got to go. He doesn't have the respect of his players and that's not something easily earned back (if he ever actually had it to begin with).

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
If the powers that be don’t care enough about the basketball program (ie. coaches, facilities) then I’m not sure how they expect fans to care.
At least this isn't four years ago - when your assertion would've been rationally rebutted with "What fans?"

Then again, if you saw what proved Norfolk State's winning basket and the camera angle from which it was shown, you saw several thousands "fans" in an entirely abandoned end zone disguised as empty seats. So maybe "What fans?" applies this time too with Avery's "Un-D(eveloped) League" program and presence...

A certain somebody (hint) said two months ago that as long as Norris was getting significant minutes on a D1 team instead of coming off the bench for two or three a time - and most of that at the end of a game - 'Bama's program would continue to flounder. No slam against Norris, even though his inbounding skills and open-look 10-footer clangs at the buzzer won't be missed... Just a fact that other talent has gone undeveloped and in the case of several, regressed considerably since arriving. The transfers are another story in and of themselves - I'm inclined to believe they have wealthy parents who got them accepted at 'Bama under false pretenses put forth in photoshopped videos and bogus stats of their having played basketball at a high level elsewhere. Not you, of course, Tevin Mack, and certainly not if your transfer papers haven't already been filed this morning...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
That he would be dirt cheap and I bet he could motivate the players to give 100%. Another year of Avery just sets us back that much further. Let Byrne hire a couple of solid assistants known for player development for his staff. Couldn’t be any worse than the joke Avery has become.
If they went with Pettway, they are settling. As a Bama fan, do you like the athletic department to settle? I don't.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
At least this isn't four years ago - when your assertion would've been rationally rebutted with "What fans?"

Then again, if you saw what proved Norfolk State's winning basket and the camera angle from which it was shown, you saw several thousands "fans" in an entirely abandoned end zone disguised as empty seats. So maybe "What fans?" applies this time too with Avery's "Un-D(eveloped) League" program and presence...

A certain somebody (hint) said two months ago that as long as Norris was getting significant minutes on a D1 team instead of coming off the bench for two or three a time - and most of that at the end of a game - 'Bama's program would continue to flounder. No slam against Norris, even though his inbounding skills and open-look 10-footer clangs at the buzzer won't be missed... Just a fact that other talent has gone undeveloped and in the case of several, regressed considerably since arriving. The transfers are another story in and of themselves - I'm inclined to believe they have wealthy parents who got them accepted at 'Bama under false pretenses put forth in photoshopped videos and bogus stats of their having played basketball at a high level elsewhere. Not you, of course, Tevin Mack, and certainly not if your transfer papers haven't already been filed this morning...
Good stuff in the blue.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If the goal is to go dirt cheap, go get Grant assistant and current Northern Kentucky HC John Brannon.

I sincerely hope the goal isn’t to go dirt cheap, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Friend just texted me. Huge Kentucky fan. Said Kentucky Sports radio saying Alabama and Avery will part ways and Alabama’s main target will be Cincinnati’s Mick Cronin.
Of course, this could be the “get your name associated with a possible coaching change & get yourself a hefty contract extension” thing that happens often.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I'm not sure Avery gets fired. If he leaves for another job, then fine, but I don't see him getting fired. I'd say the odds are 70/30 against firing. I'd say it's 60/40 that he leaves overall though.

I have zero faith that Alabama will be in a better position starting next season.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Friend just texted me. Huge Kentucky fan. Said Kentucky Sports radio saying Alabama and Avery will part ways and Alabama’s main target will be Cincinnati’s Mick Cronin.
Of course, this could be the “get your name associated with a possible coaching change & get yourself a hefty contract extension” thing that happens often.
I would give my left “you know what” to get Mick Cronin. I think he will be at a big time School next. I’m not even sure that we could pull him. He is one of my favorite coaches in CBB.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What's the over/under on when the firing happens? I imagine it'll happen soon so that we will be ready as coaches seasons end.
Looking back through other comments it looks like Avery Johnson has an $8M buyout which drops to either $6M or $4M at the end of April. If that’s true they’ll probably wait until then and hopefully there’s offset language in the contract so if Avery gets the Pelicans GM or another job his new salary would be subtracted from the buyout amount due. If all that’s true then we can spread out the buyout payments over 2-3 years and only take a $1M hit for a few years..

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I would give my left “you know what” to get Mick Cronin. I think he will be at a big time School next. I’m not even sure that we could pull him. He is one of my favorite coaches in CBB.

My friend says the guys there are “pretty connected” in the world of college basketball and not the types to go wild with rumors unless they feel strongly it has some legs.

Plus with that radio market being relatively close to Cincinnati might give it more credibility.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Maybe I am being cynical, but I now think that Avery saying he "wants to be at Bama" is just part of the way things work for him to get his buyout. I don't think he wants to be at Bama anymore. There was a rumor that he wanted the Cavalier's coaching job right before this season.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
RTR91 referenced an interview from the Bill King Show here in Nashville in another thread regarding the same thing (sans the Mick Cronin reference). Kevin Hagan has a weekly spot on Wednesdays. I wonder if he is KSR's source as he is in Lexington.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Looking back through other comments it looks like Avery Johnson has an $8M buyout which drops to either $6M or $4M at the end of April. If that’s true they’ll probably wait until then and hopefully there’s offset language in the contract so if Avery gets the Pelicans GM or another job his new salary would be subtracted from the buyout amount due. If all that’s true then we can spread out the buyout payments over 2-3 years and only take a $1M hit for a few years..
The wheeling and dealing of coaches changes happens at the Final Four. I'm betting this is a negotiated exit and happens within a week.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
RTR91 referenced an interview from the Bill King Show here in Nashville in another thread regarding the same thing (sans the Mick Cronin reference). Kevin Hagan has a weekly spot on Wednesdays. I wonder if he is KSR's source as he is in Lexington.
I’d take Cronin in a heartbeat.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Cronin makes $2.2 million. His performance at Cincinnati warrants $3+. Would take him in a heartbeat.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I'd take Gene Hackman from Hoosiers at this point. Avery has the same problem he had in the NBA - no player development and even worse, no player respect. It's over. Cronin would be coup if it happens, but whatever we do there is no excuse for this program to be so woefully mediocre to poor for so long. I used to love watching Bama basketball - now I barely check scores.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
The planned upgrade to Coleman Coliseum will be a big help. The big question is whether to hire a coach that will recruit one and dones, or a player development guy. That depends on the status of the investigations into the recruiting racket through the summer leagues. If you know there is a good chance that the Feds take down the summer leagues and the equipment companies sponsoring them, then lock in a good development guy now, because the demand for that type of coach will be much greater if several top coaches are forced out because of their involvement in the summer league system. LSU's coach is just the beginning on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.