Who replaces Avery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
AL.com ( Michael Casagrande) reporting that UA is negotiating a buyout with Avery Johnson.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
After reading why he was terminated, I don’t want this guy near our team. I don’t care how drunk you are, no reason to touch a lady inappropriately or force her head towards your crotch. Sorry..... I hope Dr Bell would fire Byrne if he even thought of hiring this Douchebag. I am not claiming to be perfect or almighty but, certain things you just cannot do. No matter how much you had to drink. The fact he admitted being drunk an hour after losing a game says a lot too.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2015/04/03/BGSU-fires-Chris-Jans.html
That guy might spend a good long time at NMSU before he gets chance.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
After watching Baylor tonight. Scott Drew is someone to look at. He has made the Tourney 8 out of the past 12 years. One the NIT and was runner up 2 of the 4 years they missed the tourney. His teams play hard and typically don’t sign a bunch of 4/5 star kids who will leave early.

If we were to make the tournament 8 times over the next 12 years, have 4 trips to the Sweet 16 and two of those years we make the Elite 8, we’d be giddy. That is exactly what Drew has done....

We would likely have to sell him on the upgrades to Coleman and how UA can support him as Baylor recently announced they are building a new arena being funded by the CEO of Oracle. We’d likely have to sell him on more than money as the CEO of Oracle would likely win a wizzing match of $$$.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
I look for Steve Prohm to be our next coach I think he would be for awhile if he has success he has Iowa State playing.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If the powers that be don’t care enough about the basketball program (ie. coaches, facilities) then I’m not sure how they expect fans to care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The players don't seem to care. It's hard to support guys who represent my university with poor effort and fundamentals. I'm hoping for something good, but my disappointment just seems to keep growing even though the season is over. I should be in just wait until next year mode, but all I can feel is a big old helping of I don't give a crap. I need to work on getting more mellow as I get older. I thought I was getting better, but I am apparently a work in progress, much like our basketball programs. :BigA:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
The players don't seem to care. It's hard to support guys who represent my university with poor effort and fundamentals. I'm hoping for something good, but my disappointment just seems to keep growing even though the season is over. I should be in just wait until next year mode, but all I can feel is a big old helping of I don't give a crap. I need to work on getting more mellow as I get older. I thought I was getting better, but I am apparently a work in progress, much like our basketball programs. :BigA:
Hang in there...let’s hope the next coach can bring more success. Our frustration is born out of our love for Bama...not how old we are. Roll Tide my friend!

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
I am curious how the players feel about a coaching change. It seems as though Avery is great at selling his vision based on the recruiting results. Development of players to fulfill the vision was the problem. Is it possible that the players soured due to the disconnect between selling the vision and implementing it? I feel like we have a lot of raw talent that will be coming back next year. I am excited to see a coach come in that can refine their skills.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Mick Cronin will be the first target. Bring him on.

91..everything I read indicates it will be a tough pull to get Mick out of Cincy. I mean a real "Saban like" recruiting effort. However, I agree that he should be the first call.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
On the high end I'd hope for a guy like Cronin or Prohm, but my usually disappointed expectation is someone like Jon Brannen. We will see what our 'basketball' AD can get done for us.

rtr

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
After watching Wofford last night I wonder if their coach would be interested, and he can bring his players with him.

(Half joking, half serious...... um, mainly serious, a little joking.)

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
91..everything I read indicates it will be a tough pull to get Mick out of Cincy. I mean a real "Saban like" recruiting effort. However, I agree that he should be the first call.
I’m not sure a “Saban like” effort will be enough. Not only is he from Cincy, and played there, his dad lives with his sister in Cincy and frequently attends practices and travels with the team. His mom passed away several years ago from cancer and he is super close to dad. His divorce could also come into play. It was reportedly nasty and I wonder if their is a clause about the daughter having to stay close to mom? She lives with Mick but, could be a clause she has to stay within so many miles..... A good friend has sole custody but, per his divorce decree must live within 20 miles of a certain zip code unless the ex agrees.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
After watching Wofford last night I wonder if their coach would be interested, and he can bring his players with him.

(Half joking, half serious...... um, mainly serious, a little joking.)
I think there is a NCAA rule against that but it may only be applicable if you are hired for an assistant position.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Prohm's name is obviously going to get thrown around a million or more times if this search lasts longer than... a day or two. He'd be hovering around the bottom of my "guys I'd be OK with" list. It would likely take paying way more than he's worth to get him too (and he might be more appealing if he was a cheaper option that we'd have an easier time jettisoning if he didn't work out).

That said, I do think there's some potential that he could really work out here.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Jay Bilas has turned into such a pretentious douchebag.
Maybe, but this is just him being part of that weird cult of former coaches/players that basically never ever thinks it's OK for a coach to be fired for, you know, actual performance reasons. That cult is almost as bad as being really pretentious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.