Who replaces Avery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
My concern with Matta is that his last 4 years at Ohio State showed a slow decline in results. Prior to that, his teams were outstanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thad_Matta

I know he was having several back issues in his last few years -- they said it really impacted his ability to coach effectively

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Bama's best coaches have been C.M. Newton and Wimp Sanderson. Newton came from division 2 Transylvania College and was certainly not highly sought after. Wimp was a long time assistant at Bama... also not sought after. Both certainly knew how to recruit and coach basketball and wanted to prove it. Just sayin....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Bama's best coaches have been C.M. Newton and Wimp Sanderson. Newton came from division 2 Transylvania College and was certainly not highly sought after. Wimp was a long time assistant at Bama... also not sought after. Both certainly knew how to recruit and coach basketball and wanted to prove it. Just sayin....
Let me ask you this: This is just my question for my knowledge... why do we keep comparing C.M. Newton and Wimp Sanderson? I realize they have accomplished a lot, but a lot has changed in recent years....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let me ask you this: This is just my question for my knowledge... why do we keep comparing C.M. Newton and Wimp Sanderson? I realize they have accomplished a lot, but a lot has changed in recent years....
I'm not sure I understand. To each other or recent coaches? There are many ways they do not compare well to the present world of basketball. I have some hopes that the recent FBI push will clean out some of the mess. If we talk about comparisons, what I miss most is that their teams were fundamentally sound and left their hearts on the court. I haven't seen that in a long time...

Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Because we were always in the game no matter who we were playing. We beat the teams that we were supposed to beat and pulled some of the biggest Alabama victories and upsets during this time period. They had fundamentally sound teams and played "in your jock" defense. We played with "HEART" and I haven't seen a lot of that in a long time!

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not sure I understand. To each other or recent coaches? There are many ways they do not compare well to the present world of basketball. I have some hopes that the recent FBI push will clean out some of the mess. If we talk about comparisons, what I miss most is that their teams were fundamentally sound and left their hearts on the court. I haven't seen that in a long time...

Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

Earle, I'm talking about comparing the previous coaches to our coaches (Grant, Johnson, etc) but I think you answered my question.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Think about this and it rings true for every single team sport: "The personality of the coach is usually reflected in the team they field."

What type of personality should we hire?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Looks to me like we are headed to a Prohm hire or below. Smh....in other words, let’s get by on the cheap and don’t significantly invest in the long term interests of the program. Like someone else said earlier, if our decision-makers care that little for the program, why should I care more than they do?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Think about this and it rings true for every single team sport: "The personality of the coach is usually reflected in the team they field."

What type of personality should we hire?

Our last two coaches represented polar opposites when it comes to personality. AG appeared most of the time to be emotionless, almost like a zombie. Otho, AJ always looked like to me he had just drank five Red Bull’s and could sell ice to eskimos. While I’d prefer the latter, he was no better when it came to producing results.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Our last two coaches represented polar opposites when it comes to personality. AG appeared most of the time to be emotionless, almost like a zombie. Otho, AJ always looked like to me he had just drank five Red Bull’s and could sell ice to eskimos. While I’d prefer the latter, he was no better when it came to producing results.
Energy doesn't equal tenacity and heart!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Amen. Even then, FT shooting bedeviled us. Only good FT team I can remember was probably our best ever -- 1986-87.

But every single team, even those without great W-L records, all played defense and rebounded like tree-shredders running at full throttle.

We weren't always the most talented, but we were in every game, left everything we had out on the court, and nobody wanted to play us...ever.

I was at the Florida game in Coleman this year, and have no doubt CM was spinning, and Wimp was throwing stuff at the TV. Either would have had Lawson Schaeffer on the court rather than tolerate the embarrassing lack of effort that was on display.

It doesn't take talent to play defense, block out on the glass, and make free throws. In today's fundamentally-unsound world of college basketball, I think it would be a winning formula. Prime example -- UVA, playing the best defense in the country.

They have the best regular-season record in the toughest conference in CBB, with one of our castoffs being a major contributor. And there's more distance between UVA and the country's second-best defensive team than there is between #2 and #8. That's effort and culture, which are products of coaching.

Off topic, but that's some serious weirdness in the quoted text box.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I vividly remember us playing Vandy and him taking out all 5 starters at once. We lost and he apologized to the fans and then promised the team would practice when they got back from Nashville. He was as good as his word. They practiced at like 1am when the team got back. It was a different time then though. There was no social media.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Looks to me like we are headed to a Prohm hire or below. Smh....in other words, let’s get by on the cheap and don’t significantly invest in the long term interests of the program. Like someone else said earlier, if our decision-makers care that little for the program, why should I care more than they do?
Well, let's at least give him a chance...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
To be fair, Anthony Grant and Avery Johnson had completely different coaching approaches.
Grant was more a defensive minded coach. If you go back and look, CAG teams played sound, fundamental basketball, especially on defense. However, his teams struggled year in and year out with shooting and any identifiable offensive philosophy. Additionally Grant, as I understand, also had a very strong disdain for the sewer that AAU basketball had become and distanced himself from it. This severely limited him in the talent he brought to the program.

Johnson on the other hand was a very good recruiter in his four years at the Capstone. Getting the talent wasn’t a problem. His problem was getting that talent to function as a unit, play fundamentally sound, and get consistent play, especially on defense.

So what differentiates C.M. and Wimp’s teams from those today? Well, first it is a different game. The three point line and the shot clock changed the game considerably. However, beyond being just good recruiters that not only had the ability to recognize those players that were talented, but also recognize those players that COULD be developed. They recruited players that were sound fundamentally and “tough as $2 streak”. Look at players like Leon Douglas, Wendell Hudson, Charles Cleveland, T. R. Dunn and the like. Those were African American players that traditionally had left the state. This was the late 1960’s and early 1970’s when the programs were just being integrated. CM (and Wimp) knew those players not only had to be great players but mentally tough and coachable.
Look at players like Terry Coner, Gary Waites, and Michael Ansley that played for Wimp. All very solid players, but not “diaper dandies” with colleges beating their door down recruiting them. But the thing about them; they improved every year in the program, knew their roles, and would fight you tooth and nail from first tip to final whistle. You knew who the “alpha dogs” on the courts were with those teams.
What we have lacked in the Hobbs, Gottfried, Grant and Johnson tenures I believe is finding the coach that not only can get talent to Tuscaloosa, but can take them to the next level in terms of mental and physical toughness and leadership.

Did you catch the Michigan State game a few nights ago when Izzo ripped into his freshman for a dumb mistake? What happened? The upperclassmen and leaders on that MSU team stepped in to pretty much say “It’s okay, coach...we’ll handle this.”

When was the last time you saw that with an Alabama team,. IMO that’s the type of coach & program we need.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I vividly remember us playing Vandy and him taking out all 5 starters at once. We lost and he apologized to the fans and then promised the team would practice when they got back from Nashville. He was as good as his word. They practiced at like 1am when the team got back. It was a different time then though. There was no social media.
Serious question -- what does social media have to do with difficulty in holding players accountable for effort?

For all that holy, a Norfolk State player called us out for lollygagging [nod to the best baseball movie of all time, Bull Durham] in warmups on our home court.

Full disclosure: TideFans is the closest thing I have to social media. No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or anything like them. Never even deleted an account because I never had one to begin with.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Serious question -- what does social media have to do with difficulty in holding players accountable for effort?

For all that holy, a Norfolk State player called us out for lollygagging [nod to the best baseball movie of all time, Bull Durham] in warmups on our home court.

Full disclosure: TideFans is the closest thing I have to social media. No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or anything like them. Never even deleted an account because I never had one to begin with.
Did you see the “torch and pitchfork” crowd that lit up Twitter and Instagram after Izzo at MSU had the audacity to rip his freshman player during a game? If you don’t think that type affects the coach’s ability to coach/discipline and a player’s perception of what they think they are or aren’t accountable for, I think you’re mistaken.
Players today get much of their self worth determined by instantaneous “likes” or “retweets” instead of it being determined by their teammates or their coach.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Never posted on the basketball thread, but have followed on and off since I joined. I lost total interest in college basketball when basic, basketball fundamentals went out the window and the game reverted to a play ground game of "make it and take it". Also, the "one and done" has hurt the game IMO. Someone on here mentioned UK hiring a great football coach is like Alabama hiring a great basketball coach, well we can probably look for another Mark Stoops hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.