Who replaces Avery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Do we give Pettway a chance? Thought is he can probably be had for $1MM. Let him be a Shula like “caretaker” for 2 years while recovering financially from Avery’s $8MM buyout. Hopefully after 2 years we have the plan in place to rebuild Coleman and go after a big name coach? Or, do you make an offer of $7MM a year to a coach like Few at Gonzaga or Beard at Texas Tech? Likely neither athletic department can match that offer.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I love Pettway. No one and I mean no one loves Alabama more than he does, but he has no chance at getting the job. I am not sure if we have any choice at this point. We pay well, but are we going to make basketball a priority or just continue with the status quo? Otherwise it doesn't matter who the coach is if we don't show the commitment the neccessary to win. If you are not commited to winning championships, what is the point?

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I hope you are kidding.
Do we give Pettway a chance? Thought is he can probably be had for $1MM. Let him be a Shula like “caretaker” for 2 years while recovering financially from Avery’s $8MM buyout. Hopefully after 2 years we have the plan in place to rebuild Coleman and go after a big name coach? Or, do you make an offer of $7MM a year to a coach like Few at Gonzaga or Beard at Texas Tech? Likely neither athletic department can match that offer.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Pettaway has NO head coaching experience

Still Salty Bout 2018

BrotherOfBear

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 28, 2006
Backwoods, AL
Chris Jans of New Mexico State is the man for the job. He was the top assistant at Wichita State and is given a lot of credit for the development of the players on their 2014 Final Four team. He went to Bowling Green in 2014 and turned them around in one year from 12-20 to 21-12. Then he did something stupid while drunk in a bar at the end of the season and was fired. In 2017 New Mexico State gave him a second chance. He lost virtually every last player via graduation and transfer from a 2016 team that went 28-6. With only one returning starter he lead NMSU to another 28-6 record. This year he lost his two best players to the NBA-D league and they went 30-4. They only lost to Kansas, albeit a weak Kansas, by 2 pts in Kansas City earlier this year. His teams play with passion, rebound hard, and know what they are doing. He is the REAL DEAL. I would absolutely hate to see him leave NMSU but seeing him go to Bama would make it alright. NMSU might very well lose to Auburn tomorrow but it won't be because they were outcoached but rather the talent advantage Auburn has and having a quality coach like Pearl. If you have access to the game watch the NMSU vs Grand Canyon game for the WAC title last week. In particular watch the second half and the speed and effort NMSU plays with.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don’t think we’re replacing him this year. Probably have one more year then his buyout gets cut in half..

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
What would the justification for giving Pettway the job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That he would be dirt cheap and I bet he could motivate the players to give 100%. Another year of Avery just sets us back that much further. Let Byrne hire a couple of solid assistants known for player development for his staff. Couldn’t be any worse than the joke Avery has become.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Chris Jans of New Mexico State is the man for the job. He was the top assistant at Wichita State and is given a lot of credit for the development of the players on their 2014 Final Four team. He went to Bowling Green in 2014 and turned them around in one year from 12-20 to 21-12. Then he did something stupid while drunk in a bar at the end of the season and was fired. In 2017 New Mexico State gave him a second chance. He lost virtually every last player via graduation and transfer from a 2016 team that went 28-6. With only one returning starter he lead NMSU to another 28-6 record. This year he lost his two best players to the NBA-D league and they went 30-4. They only lost to Kansas, albeit a weak Kansas, by 2 pts in Kansas City earlier this year. His teams play with passion, rebound hard, and know what they are doing. He is the REAL DEAL. I would absolutely hate to see him leave NMSU but seeing him go to Bama would make it alright. NMSU might very well lose to Auburn tomorrow but it won't be because they were outcoached but rather the talent advantage Auburn has and having a quality coach like Pearl. If you have access to the game watch the NMSU vs Grand Canyon game for the WAC title last week. In particular watch the second half and the speed and effort NMSU plays with.
We don’t need Joey Freshwater Jr who can’t hold his liquor coaching at BAMA. If we are going mid-major, look at the coach at Buffalo.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I don’t think we’re replacing him this year. Probably have one more year then his buyout gets cut in half..
Pretty sure he’s going. They have already had “the meeting” and given his comments about wanting to be the coach and expecting to be the coach etc. are all the buzz words of someone who is halfway through the door.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
That he would be dirt cheap and I bet he could motivate the players to give 100%. Another year of Avery just sets us back that much further. Let Byrne hire a couple of solid assistants known for player development for his staff. Couldn’t be any worse than the joke Avery has become.
We have no reason to go dirt cheap with the basketball coach. Our athletic department brings in millions of extra cash each year. It's been proven time and time again that you get what you pay for and if we go cheap then we will get what we pay for.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
We could have gone with Bruce Pearl or Rick Barnes and they’ve worked out pretty dang well. I understand the pass on Pearl but we’ve missed on some really good coaches. Hopefully they’ll get it right this time. AJ was brought in to try the one and done player approach which was a disappointment. We got one in Sexton but this program ain’t Duke or UK. It’s not a realistic approach. We have to go the team and player development approach which is why I thought AJ was not the best choice.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Avery’s hiring was a result of having an AD that had no idea of how to run things not related to football. Battle hired two less than stellar coaches to replace two consistently mediocre coaches to shut up fans who kept calling his phone demanding a change.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Pretty sure he’s going. They have already had “the meeting” and given his comments about wanting to be the coach and expecting to be the coach etc. are all the buzz words of someone who is halfway through the door.

I think he is saying all of those things so he is sure to get his buyout. I doubt he even wants to continue, but I'm sure he wants to get the money that this ridiculous contract will give him. I do not understand how these ADs keep getting held hostage with these crazy contracts. These agents are loving life.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
If the powers that be don’t care enough about the basketball program (ie. coaches, facilities) then I’m not sure how they expect fans to care.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
What's the over/under on when the firing happens? I imagine it'll happen soon so that we will be ready as coaches seasons end.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know nothing about his mistake...but just judging his record of basketball success this is the "type" of coach we could probably most realistically hire that might have some fast success.

Unless Byrne totally surprises us with a "big name" guy, these unknown guys are they type we'll have the best chance with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.