Who replaces Avery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I just don't think Byrne would take a chance on Pitino. It hasn't been that long ago since all that went down. Auburn could take the chance with Pearl because they don't care about being on probation, since they've been in that state numerous times.

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
Matta would be a solid hire, if he's healthy enough to do the job right.

But Pitino... That's a message sent to EVERYONE. Yeah, I know about the issues. But if the goal is to win (and win big), he's the obvious choice. I think our compliance folks are the best in the business, and I have to believe the man has learned some lessons along the way that would hopefully prevent him making the same mistakes again.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Would probably take 6-8 million a year to get CBD.
May be if you were hiring him mercenary style it would. More realistically would be if he wants back in the SEC, and Alabama offers him that opportunity. That's one thing that UCLA and the NBA can't offer him. What are the chances of that? I'm not sure, it's how Alabama got Saban but it also seems like a long shot.

At Florida he was making around 4 million a year I believe. I read a couple of times his contract with Oklahoma City is 3.9 million (and he was on a final team option year), but I also read that he signed a 30 million 5 year deal, which sounds a lot more like 6 a year, and that makes more sense given what he was making at Florida.

That all goes back to why he hasn't signed an extension and what he wants to do. It's really hard to imagine Alabama paying more than 5 a year for anyone, and that would instantly make Donovan the third highest paid college basketball coach. Just that part alone makes it seem like a long shot, but one thing is sure, wherever he ends up it won't come cheap.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
May be if you were hiring him mercenary style it would. More realistically would be if he wants back in the SEC, and Alabama offers him that opportunity. That's one thing that UCLA and the NBA can't offer him. What are the chances of that? I'm not sure, it's how Alabama got Saban but it also seems like a long shot.

At Florida he was making around 4 million a year I believe. I read a couple of times his contract with Oklahoma City is 3.9 million (and he was on a final team option year), but I also read that he signed a 30 million 5 year deal, which sounds a lot more like 6 a year, and that makes more sense given what he was making at Florida.

That all goes back to why he hasn't signed an extension and what he wants to do. It's really hard to imagine Alabama paying more than 5 a year for anyone, and that would instantly make Donovan the third highest paid college basketball coach. Just that part alone makes it seem like a long shot, but one thing is sure, wherever he ends up it won't come cheap.
The problem again is "What would Billy Don demand?". Billy Don would see himself as an equal to Saban just like he saw himself as an equal to Urban so there is a better than good chance Billy Don would make his own demands on Byrne's vision of the Crimson Standard. Saban made a lot of demands about the stadium and athletic facilities which were already in the upper echelon of the SEC once he landed in Tuscaloosa in 2007. You can expect the same from BD, and it may mean scrapping the whole renovation project for an entire new arena. That means we are probably having 1-2 years at the BJCC, and a lot more money being thrown at the basketball program.

I think Byrne will look for someone that cant make those types of demands but is also a proven winner. He isn't probably going to look for a Saban like hire during this renovation project that he is in the middle of selling fans, boosters, and donors on. I think Matta and the others make way more sense because I think the consensus from most basketball coaches is that Coleman is a dump for a SEC venue and will be until they build a new arena all together.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
If Matta is intrviewing with Bama, that tells me Matta thinks he is healthy enough to get back into coaching. I would definitely approve of Matta's hiring.

Pitino.............just no. He's not worth that gamble.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I don't think we would even consider Rick Pitino as basketball coach. I think that this is just fan talk.

Matta would fall right in line with what we have seen other SEC schools do with some success. He would be a home run hire if he wanted to come here.

rtr

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If Matta is intrviewing with Bama, that tells me Matta thinks he is healthy enough to get back into coaching. I would definitely approve of Matta's hiring.

Pitino.............just no. He's not worth that gamble.
That’s what I was thinking, coming in for an interview says a whole lot. If we can get him hooked on Archibald’s ribs and sweet tea maybe he’ll hang around for a bit. We could do a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I know someone mentioned it earlier but Bucky McMillan is a possibility. I’m not sure what Byrne has for his search parameters but this would be the time to take a leap on clearly a true talent. Three state titles at 7A level in a row and they just beat IMG Academy who hadn’t lost all year. The guy can flat out COACH! He does have a good bit of support among people that have Byrnes ear and it’s an interesting idea to me at least.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The problem again is "What would Billy Don demand?". Billy Don would see himself as an equal to Saban just like he saw himself as an equal to Urban so there is a better than good chance Billy Don would make his own demands on Byrne's vision of the Crimson Standard. Saban made a lot of demands about the stadium and athletic facilities which were already in the upper echelon of the SEC once he landed in Tuscaloosa in 2007. You can expect the same from BD, and it may mean scrapping the whole renovation project for an entire new arena. That means we are probably having 1-2 years at the BJCC, and a lot more money being thrown at the basketball program.

I think Byrne will look for someone that cant make those types of demands but is also a proven winner. He isn't probably going to look for a Saban like hire during this renovation project that he is in the middle of selling fans, boosters, and donors on. I think Matta and the others make way more sense because I think the consensus from most basketball coaches is that Coleman is a dump for a SEC venue and will be until they build a new arena all together.
For him, he's worth what ever he'd demand. Ironically, that may be the only way the vision for Coleman gets changed. It could be a win-win. He get's a big time job (money wise) and we get a coach that literally makes us legit and can build the program and new arena.

Obviously, this is all dependent on where CBD's mind is about coaching pro-ball vs. college ball in the SEC. It would only work if his desire is to make a change. It's a long shot, but how ironic if it worked out that we got two coaches like that???

I will throw in this tidbit. Trading OKC for T-town is not a downgrade IMO. OKC offers very little IMHO. BD knows the culture of the SEC and while T-town is not Gainsville, I'd choose T-town offer OKC every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Again, long shot, but if I'm Byrne I'd make him tell me "no" multiple times.

Then, I'd hire Matta or the guy from Texas Tech.

I hope Prohm is a smokescreen.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know someone mentioned it earlier but Bucky McMillan is a possibility. I’m not sure what Byrne has for his search parameters but this would be the time to take a leap on clearly a true talent. Three state titles at 7A level in a row and they just beat IMG Academy who hadn’t lost all year. The guy can flat out COACH! He does have a good bit of support among people that have Byrnes ear and it’s an interesting idea to me at least.

Man, I hear great things about the guy, but that would straight up tell us where B-ball ranks if we go that route. Now, if everybody and their momma tells us "no" then OK.

Now, go hire the guy as an assistant would be brilliant. Who knows what the future holds?

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

I agree with you, a coach that forces us to take Basketball seriously is a good thing. CBD is as close to can't miss as there is. He will recruit at a level likely higher than he did before he went to the NBA. If anyone starting out can over come our facilities its him. I realize he is a pipe dream, but man it's a nice dream.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I don’t know where to put this, but since Coleman keeps getting brought up, I’ll ask here.

What’s the hold up if tearing it down? Isn’t there enough space to start building on campus? Why can’t they play in Coleman while the new one is built?

If I where a candidate, that would be one if my criteria: state of the art new arena for basketball.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
IMO the one year out of high school rule is on the way out soon. I think the elite talents will go straight to the draft and the leftovers will go overseas until the NBA calls and these can’t miss freshmen that permeate Duke’s and Kentucky’s roster will evaporate almost overnight. Maybe we should be looking to lock up a talent developer who can take three and four year guys and bond them into a solid unit.

Any suggestions?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Risk/Reward ratio my friend. It’s like buying a stock—-you trade high risk for a chance at a windfall return. Petino offers that possibility. At this point, I think most Bama fans would be willing to roll the dice.
No, absolutely not. Pitino is done as a major college basketball coach. I don't want Alabama to resurrect that garbage fire.

We should, and we can​ do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.