Who replaces Avery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Few’s wiki says he was an assistant for one season at where Byrne went to high school. It seems to have been his junior year.

A bit of a stretch for a connection or a reason to uproot his life from a place he has worked for 30 years and move across the country from the area he has lived his whole life.

He has also turned down other offers in the past. It doesn’t hurt to ask, but I don’t see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would still make him say no.
Few doesn't seem realistic but he darn sure seems to be worth a shot. That's the kind of guy that could potentially change the culture around the basketball program, and that more than anything is what needs to change. Not just another head coaching change, but a change to the entire approach. Few has accomplished more and gone further than basically every Alabama basketball coach combined.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I would ask Sean Miller at Arizona. He's not 100% happy and he may have some ties to the current AD.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Gentlemen, it’s happening.

Wouldn’t be happy about it, but until the NCAA does something meaningful to the programs playing with fire, let’s grab a few sticks ourselves.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I find Pitino’s off court behavior as disgusting as anything he has done on it.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Gentlemen, it’s happening.

Lol, I hope so. He's quite literally one of the best to ever do it. There'd be the added joy of watching the sports world (including a big chunk of our own fanbase) foam at the mouth in a mixture of confusion and weird, misplaced, moral high ground jostling-type anger.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I would ask Sean Miller at Arizona. He's not 100% happy and he may have some ties to the current AD.
He may not be 100% happy; but he's almost 100% certainly in the crosshairs of this whole paying players scandal. He will most likely be let go by Arizona so that they can try to avoid as much punishment as possible. He's denying it, of course; but with evidence of monetary offers to former players by former assistant coaches already out, it may be hard for Miller to defend his innocence. Byrne would be wise to steer clear of Miller until he's able to prove that he wasn't involved with this.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Thad Matta

Current job: Out of coaching (since 2017)

Previous jobs: Head coach, Ohio State (2004-17), Xavier (2001-04), and Butler (2000-01); assistant coach, Butler, Miami (OH), and Western Carolina

Career head coaching record: 439-154 (.740)

NCAA Tournament appearances: 13

NCAA Tournament record: 24-13

He's coached at a "football" school and won consistently. He's won 74% of his games. To put that number into context, only five active Division 1 head coaches with at least five years have won more than that: Mark Few, Roy Williams, John Calipari, Mike Krzyzewski, and Bill Self.

He's had some health issues; but, if those are behind him, we could do a whole lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.