Bama & Coach Johnson negotiating contract buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Suttles just stated as well that he understands that Byrne has been given permission by the PTB to make “that home run hire”. If that is the case, I know a couple of names I would like to hear that he at least made a phone call to gauge their interest.
Hire Barnes away from UT.
Billy Donovan
Brad Scott

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I guess I'm snakebitten because Coleman has been reno'd some in my lifetime and the core problems with the cavernous space and litany of bad seating areas have never been address in a truly corrective manner.
Yeah, the volume of the space is probably a bigger can of worms to deal with.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I keep reading about renovation, but have any of you seen Duke's facility from the inside? I personally think Coleman is nicer on the inside than Duke's but I don't attend a lot of basketball games.
Coleman was built as a generic, multi-purpose arena that was outdated design-wise a decade after it opened. Cameron is old, quirky and, like Fenway, an unmistakable living shrine to its sport.

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I think most of it will be re-working seats for better use. Too many seats for a contemporary college basketball program. And me being 6'4 ... here's hoping the make the seats bigger and maximize on the space for comfort.
I'm 6'2" - 250 and have broad shoulders, so i'm in the same boat that you're in. I love Bama basketball and every year the first time i go to a game i remind myself that i won't be back. Just painfully uncomfortable in the too tight seating arrangement. People who design sports facilities need to understand that more than 50% of spectators/attendees are typically male, and are larger than females. Make it comfortable and you're likely to get more steady attendance. Same goes for Bryant Denny. When i go to a game there i usually am ready to leave at halftime and hoof it to watch the end of the game somewhere where i don't feel crammed into a sardine can.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I guess I'm snakebitten because Coleman has been reno'd some in my lifetime and the core problems with the cavernous space and litany of bad seating areas have never been address in a truly corrective manner.
I understand this, but there’s a difference in previous renovations (more like upgrades) and this renovation (complete gutting).

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hire Barnes away from UT.
Billy Donovan
Brad Scott

Lol

I think Brad Scott is off the table. He’s busy coaching receivers for Dabo at Clemson.

Now Michael Scott mIght be available. I’m sure Dunder Mifflin would mind us talking to him.

Now Brad Stevens might be a little busy with the Celtics right now.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think Brad Scott is off the table. He’s busy coaching receivers for Dabo at Clemson.

Now Michael Scott mIght be available. I’m sure Dunder Mifflin would mind us talking to him.

Now Brad Stevens might be a little busy with the Celtics right now.
Thanks. Got busy and mixed names together.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm 6'2" - 250 and have broad shoulders, so i'm in the same boat that you're in. I love Bama basketball and every year the first time i go to a game i remind myself that i won't be back. Just painfully uncomfortable in the too tight seating arrangement. People who design sports facilities need to understand that more than 50% of spectators/attendees are typically male, and are larger than females. Make it comfortable and you're likely to get more steady attendance. Same goes for Bryant Denny. When i go to a game there i usually am ready to leave at halftime and hoof it to watch the end of the game somewhere where i don't feel crammed into a sardine can.
Um, ever been to Neyland? :D

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
From what I have heard, it might have been designed with folks like me in mind.

Or, to put it another way..................there is a reason my house has "Early American" furniture. (Translation: it fits.)

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Coleman was built as a generic, multi-purpose arena that was outdated design-wise a decade after it opened. Cameron is old, quirky and, like Fenway, an unmistakable living shrine to its sport.
I have a feeling that if Duke had played in Coleman the last twenty-five years while Bama had played in Cameron that people would say nice things about Coleman and terrible things about Cameron. Cameron is too small. We can't attract top recruits with this outdated little high school gym. It looks like a regular building while UNC plays in a palace. Yeah, I don't think the building is the problem. I'm sure that newer and nicer facilities would help in the future, but I don't think Coleman Coliseum is why we have been very, very average for the last twenty-five years.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The national media seems to have been quiet about the Johnson firing. Vandy gets blasted for getting rid of a guy after going 0-19 in the league. Yet they ignore we cannned a coach with a better (albeit mediocre) record.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The national media seems to have been quiet about the Johnson firing. Vandy gets blasted for getting rid of a guy after going 0-19 in the league. Yet they ignore we cannned a coach with a better (albeit mediocre) record.

I think the reason is that a good chunk of the basketball public got a good look at his product on the court at the end of the season - and remembered his NBA career...

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Reads like you are saying Avery Johnson is fired?

When?

Source?

Last edited:

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I have a feeling that if Duke had played in Coleman the last twenty-five years while Bama had played in Cameron that people would say nice things about Coleman and terrible things about Cameron. Cameron is too small. We can't attract top recruits with this outdated little high school gym. It looks like a regular building while UNC plays in a palace. Yeah, I don't think the building is the problem. I'm sure that newer and nicer facilities would help in the future, but I don't think Coleman Coliseum is why we have been very, very average for the last twenty-five years.
And if we had Mike K we wouldn't have been one and done in the first round of the NIT.
We do not have the cache of Duke, UNC, UK, etc. A new arena for them doesn't make sense. Like Coach Saban they can show plenty of hardware to get recruits. We can't.
I've been inside Coleman since the last "renovation" and there's really not much difference in the before and after. Yeah, if we want to step it up and up our program we need a new arena. That's not the end all be all and won't cure all our woes but you can't keep putting a band-aid on a ruptured artery and call yourself a good physician. You want to get a good/great coach and players to come to Bama you gotta first indicate that the program is important. If not, just go and beg Avery Johnson to come back.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Reads like you are saying Avery Johnson is fired?

When?

Source?
Today's Tuscaloosa News says that negotiations are ongoing. And that Avery has told the team and his staff that he will not be back next year.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20190323/buyout-negotiations-continue-with-alabama-avery-johnson

Additionally, a personal friend who is not in the Athletic Department, but who is in a position to know, told me face to face that negotiations have been ongoing for a while now.

The chances of Avery Johnson being our coach next year are about the same as me winning the PowerBall.

Fired? Negotiated exit? I don't know, and the difference at this point is semantic. He's not going to be our coach next year. What difference does it make if he was fired or there was a negotiated exit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.