In case you didn't notice, Alabama Softball is 33-0!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
45-4 record, swept a top-10 team on the road, after having swept a top 20 team at home. Earlier in the year, beat a top-10 Arizona team in their home city. Star freshman pitcher, and a good-hitting lineup.

This is a good team. It would be a disappointment if this team didn't make it to the WCWS. What happens there is anybody's guess.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Congrats on the sweep and best of luck going forward!

I don't think the HBP was intentional but Coach Walton sure acted like a turkey...lol.....
Hey Bazza,

I don't think the HBP was intentional either. And we didn't need a stare down. Just take your base. I think Barnhill is just having to carry the team and is throwing way too many pitches this year. They had a graphic during the game that's she already thrown the equivalent of about six more games than normal this year. She has just to be plain worn out. And, the umps kind of lost it a bit in the later innings, as did Walton.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Hey Bazza,

I don't think the HBP was intentional either. And we didn't need a stare down. Just take your base. I think Barnhill is just having to carry the team and is throwing way too many pitches this year. They had a graphic during the game that's she already thrown the equivalent of about six more games than normal this year. She has just to be plain worn out. And, the umps kind of lost it a bit in the later innings, as did Walton.
Disagree totally. No doubt she was throwing at Sides. 2 things, She belted a long Home run her previous at bat and Walton got thrown out just before she took the mound. I've watched Walton make a mockery of the game with his girls sticking their elbows out whenever they needed base runners. I didn't see it this weekend., but we didn't pitch them inside nearly as much as most teams. Florida perennially leads the nation in HBP.

We pitched our best 3 games as a staff this weekend. It bodes well for the rest of the season. This is the 1st time we have a pitching staff rather than 1 pitcher and everyone else. I think Stephanie Prothro has done a great job this year.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Ugly day for softball. Drop the weekend opener to Kentucky 4-1. Lots of pop ups, lots of errors, lots of walks given up, and Elissa Brown getting called out twice for leaving the base early on steal attempts. (the second one was really questionable). I would also say this is not one of the better umpire crews in the SEC. Didn't really matter though. Kentucky did what they needed to do, and got the hits when they needed them. Overall, it just looked like one of those days. Our lone run was on a Bailey Hemphill home-run in the 6th. We definitely need to take games 2 & 3. Come back and do it ladies.

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
Ugly day for softball. Drop the weekend opener to Kentucky 4-1. Lots of pop ups, lots of errors, lots of walks given up, and Elissa Brown getting called out twice for leaving the base early on steal attempts. (the second one was really questionable). I would also say this is not one of the better umpire crews in the SEC. Didn't really matter though. Kentucky did what they needed to do, and got the hits when they needed them. Overall, it just looked like one of those days. Our lone run was on a Bailey Hemphill home-run in the 6th. We definitely need to take games 2 & 3. Come back and do it ladies.

love my bama gals but coach needs to crack the whip so to speak. too many mental errors, we have a good team as the record reflects but come on, this was brutal.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
love my bama gals but coach needs to crack the whip so to speak. too many mental errors, we have a good team as the record reflects but come on, this was brutal.
Almost looked like one of those "we've got this in the bag" games, but we never got anything going, and Kentucky finally did. Need to bounce back.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Softball ladies take down Kentucky 3-1 tonight in game 2. It was starting to look like last night's game for a while. We seemed a little timid at the plate and we looking at a lot of good pitches to hit. Kentucky went up 1-0 in the top of the sixth on a solo HR. In the bottom of the sixth, we got a couple on with 1 out and Kentucky changed pitchers. On our first batter after that, the umpire's strike zone seemed to change. Murphy got a bit indignant about that and was tossed. The ladies lit up after that and we put 3 on the board in the bottom of the sixth. Sarah Cornell shut them down in the 7th for the 3-1 win. Game 3 tomorrow afternoon at 2 CST.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Softball ladies take down Kentucky 3-1 tonight in game 2. It was starting to look like last night's game for a while. We seemed a little timid at the plate and we looking at a lot of good pitches to hit. Kentucky went up 1-0 in the top of the sixth on a solo HR. In the bottom of the sixth, we got a couple on with 1 out and Kentucky changed pitchers. On our first batter after that, the umpire's strike zone seemed to change. Murphy got a bit indignant about that and was tossed. The ladies lit up after that and we put 3 on the board in the bottom of the sixth. Sarah Cornell shut them down in the 7th for the 3-1 win. Game 3 tomorrow afternoon at 2 CST.
I think Murph got tossed on purpose to fire up his team. It worked

But big picture:

SEC Season Crown race:

UA 15-5 (4 games left)
OM 13-6 (4 games left)
LSU 14-7 (3 games left)
UT 11-9 (4 games left)

What we should cheer for today is ofcourse an Alabama win, but also a Tennessee win. This would eliminate Tennessee, provide some extra cushion between us an Ole Miss, and force LSU to sweeps us next week to win the crown. Basically a win today and an Ole Miss loss (they are playing Tennessee) makes it pretty difficult for us not to win the crown

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I think Murph got tossed on purpose to fire up his team. It worked

But big picture:

SEC Season Crown race:

UA 15-5 (4 games left)
OM 13-6 (4 games left)
LSU 14-7 (3 games left)
UT 11-9 (4 games left)

What we should cheer for today is ofcourse an Alabama win, but also a Tennessee win. This would eliminate Tennessee, provide some extra cushion between us an Ole Miss, and force LSU to sweeps us next week to win the crown. Basically a win today and an Ole Miss loss (they are playing Tennessee) makes it pretty difficult for us not to win the crown
I think you are correct. Murph looked like he was just going to let it go at first, but then it looked like, "nah, I'm gonna get tossed". Definitely worked as we had a completely different energy level after that. I think it will come down to us and LSU for the title.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
. I think it will come down to us and LSU for the title.
I just don't know because I have no idea how the SEC is going to handle the issue that Ole Miss played one less game. It really makes that meltdown in Columbia look worse because right now we would be up two games regardless, and really have no real pressure going into the game today.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I just don't know because I have no idea how the SEC is going to handle the issue that Ole Miss played one less game. It really makes that meltdown in Columbia look worse because right now we would be up two games regardless, and really have no real pressure going into the game today.
Yes, it would be nice to have Carolina series back, because it's looks like it might happen again today. I don't know why we can't hit this pitcher. We just don't attack pitches at the plate. We either hit a pop up or feeble grounder. On the Ole Miss thing, do you think they would work off of a winning percentage to determine things.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't know why we can't hit this pitcher. We just don't attack pitches at the plate. We either hit a pop up or feeble grounder. .
We hit her last night, but she was coming in cold. I think the bigger issue if we lose this game is Murph starting Goodman vs her instead of Montana with a tied series with the SEC crown up for grabs.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
We hit her last night, but she was coming in cold. I think the bigger issue if we lose this game is Murph starting Goodman vs her instead of Montana with a tied series with the SEC crown up for grabs.
I didn't have much problem with starting Goodman, but she certainly served up a dinger ball to Cheeks in the first inning. And I don't know if you're watching but I thought the Kentucky player was out at third on that early inning bunt play. They got another run off of that. We just need to score. We hit it pretty good last inning but all at'em balls.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I didn't have much problem with starting Goodman, but she certainly served up a dinger ball to Cheeks in the first inning. And I don't know if you're watching but I thought the Kentucky player was out at third on that early inning bunt play. They got another run off of that. We just need to score. We hit it pretty good last inning but all at'em balls.
Murph and Stephanie have forgotten more softball than I will ever know, but its kinda odd in a very key game that he sent our 3rd pitcher out in what everyone pretty much knew was going to be a pitcher's duel. They really didn't hit Montana the other night, and it was more of an error making a big inning.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Murph and Stephanie have forgotten more softball than I will ever know, but its kinda odd in a very key game that he sent our 3rd pitcher out in what everyone pretty much knew was going to be a pitcher's duel. They really didn't hit Montana the other night, and it was more of an error making a big inning.
Well, at least we started hitting!!! Tie game now, go ahead run on second. Can we squeeze out one more base hit. Maybe Murph should run for Dykes since she got thrown out at the plate earlier in the game.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Oh, man, we still swing at too many bad pitches. Sides looked at a nice ball up for strike 2, then swings at a ball down and grounds out to end the inning. She could have ripped that second strike.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, I don't know what Murphy was thinking in the bottom of the 8th. Hemphill on first, who is not known for speed, and two down. And Hemphill gets thrown out trying to steal for the third out. Maybe we missed a hit and run, but one more ball and Hemphill would have been on second anyway. I wonder about that one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.