Link: An old friend was on this exact same ship off Norway two weeks ago...

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Looks like he picked the right time to travel.

Never been on a cruise. I honestly believe this is part of the reason. Not excited about being essentially trapped in a place where you can't affect escape or improve your situation. And I understand planes are really no different based on those examples, but in a place, no matter what happens, it'll be over sooner rather than later.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Scary to see how much it was moving in those rough waters.

We have been on a lot of cruises and never had to deal with this much intensity. They tend to sail around this type of stuff. Probably the worst we had was on the way to Aruba, the seas were pretty bad and I definitely had to take some melatonin to sleep.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I saw you post this on FB. WOW!!!

Just a couple of narcissist side notes:

1) I traveled on the Townsend Thoresen ferry that flipped in Zeebrugge, Belgium in 1987 (I rode it in 1983).

2) I was on one of those NYC tour buses a week before one of them wrecked in 2014

3) Last month, a train station I had been at just three hours earlier in NYC had a gang-bang shooting

Believe me - it doesn't make me feel very comfortable.

Glad your friend wasn't on THIS trip, however.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
See my posts in the PHOTO thread.......the ones from my brother and his wife......who are visiting Norway.

Yup.

My brother's FB post:

Viking Sky Evacuation. Yes we were on it. Being raised by cable around our waist some 60 feet to a helicopter in hurricane force winds and sleet is now off our bucket list!! Busses to hotel in Kristiansound. Only have clothes on our back and some Norwegian Red Cross supplies.
His pic of the facility where Red Cross was assisting.....

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

1) I traveled on the Townsend Thoresen ferry that flipped in Zeebrugge, Belgium in 1987 (I rode it in 1983).

2) I was on one of those NYC tour buses a week before one of them wrecked in 2014

3) Last month, a train station I had been at just three hours earlier in NYC had a gang-bang shooting

Remind me not to follow to far behind you anywhere. :D

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Remind me not to follow to far behind you anywhere. :D

I'm going to Baltimore the first weekend in April and probably this year's LSU game.
And probably Duluth, MN from 12/11 through 12/15.

Otherwise I'll be here.

Remember a few years back when lightning struck Tampa at the end of Buccaneers game?
My sister's family was at that game at the time.

Also - I attended college with the guy who was arrested in the ricin letters attack in 2013. (It didn't make a big story because it was the same week as the Boston Marathon bombing).

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Word of friendly advice, do not google gang-bang shooting.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Please stop traveling on public transportation. You Jonah. Or you Joe Btfsplkk for the L'il Abner fans among us.;)

Some years ago, I worked around the shipyards in Morgan City, Louisiana. The ships made there for use in the North Sea had steel twice as thick as those ships made for elsewhere. The North Sea can be a mighty rough place.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There's going to be a segment coming up on World News Tonight (ABC)....
Do you think your brother meant "Kristiansund?" If so, that's not too bad. If they got them ashore at Molde, then it would be about 50 kilometers. Kristiansund is a good-sized town with decent hotels...

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Do you thin your brother meant "Kristiansund?" If so, that's not too bad. If they got them ashore at Molde, then it would be about 50 kilometers. Kristiansund is a good-sized town with decent hotels...
Thanks....I'm sure that's what he meant - probably just a misspell.

I will post more when I hear from them as I know they are back home now.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thanks....I'm sure that's what he meant - probably just a misspell.

I will post more when I hear from them as I know they are back home now.
I have a Kristiansund story. Back in '74, I had my wife, both daughters and MIL with me on an extended vacation. We had spent time in Holland and in Denmark and took off on the last ferry from Jutland, crossing north to Kristiansund, NO. It was late in the day and we had to take the first hotel we could find and it really wasn't bad. The dollar had crashed two years before, so terribly expensive (Norway still is), but nice. Today, Norway is practically bilingual, with menus, road signs, etc. in both Norwegian and English but not back then. The next morning, there was no server who spoke either English or German. I had a Norwegian phrase book, but that was all. There were five of us and we ordered the smorgasbord. I didn't realize that it was the most expensive option. They assumed that, if you ordered that, you were going to attempt to eat them out of house and home. Rachel, younger daughter was only seven at the time and Deb only twelve. I don't remember the total bill now, but it was well over $400, in today's dollars, at full price for the kids.

When I got back to the room, I filled about at page on the "Suggestions and Remarks" page, about pretending to be an international hotel and not having a menu, particularly a kid's menu, in English. We then took off directly north along the Setesdal valley/river, ending up at a little village named "Bykle," really a crossroads, but with a nice little hotel and a great chef. We signed up for five days and half-pension. The proprietress spoke good German, with a heavy Norwegian accent. She had had German troops garrisoned on her for the duration of WWII. The second evening, during dinner, she burst into the dining room, shouting "Herr Self, Herr Self, Sie haben einen Anruf!" ("Mr. Self, Mr. Self, you have a telephone call.") I'm sure this was a surprise to the Dutch tour bus passengers packing the room, who'd assumed we were Americans. It scared the hell out of me because I assumed someone back home must have died and how the hell did they find me here? It was the manager of the hotel in Kristiansund, who spoke good English. He had tracked us down. We had specified Valle in the little form you had to fill out back then, indicating your destination. However, the hotel in Valle had closed and the chef had moved north the 15 kilometers or so to Bykle. He was apologetic and said he was sending a check to refund our entire breakfast and hotel rooms bill. The check arrived the next day. Impressive! You asked in another thread about my learning Norwegian. I always make sure I learn enough of the language of any country I visit to at least get by...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I have a Kristiansund story. Back in '74, I had my wife, both daughters and MIL with me on an extended vacation. We had spent time in Holland and in Denmark and took off on the last ferry from Jutland, crossing north to Kristiansund, NO. It was late in the day and we had to take the first hotel we could find and it really wasn't bad. The dollar had crashed two years before, so terribly expensive (Norway still is), but nice. Today, Norway is practically bilingual, with menus, road signs, etc. in both Norwegian and English but not back then. The next morning, there was no server who spoke either English or German. I had a Norwegian phrase book, but that was all. There were five of us and we ordered the smorgasbord. I didn't realize that it was the most expensive option. They assumed that, if you ordered that, you were going to attempt to eat them out of house and home. Rachel, younger daughter was only seven at the time and Deb only twelve. I don't remember the total bill now, but it was well over $400, in today's dollars, at full price for the kids.

When I got back to the room, I filled about at page on the "Suggestions and Remarks" page, about pretending to be an international hotel and not having a menu, particularly a kid's menu, in English. We then took off directly north along the Setesdal valley/river, ending up at a little village named "Bykle," really a crossroads, but with a nice little hotel and a great chef. We signed up for five days and half-pension. The proprietress spoke good German, with a heavy Norwegian accent. She had had German troops garrisoned on her for the duration of WWII. The second evening, during dinner, she burst into the dining room, shouting "Herr Self, Herr Self, Sie haben einen Anruf!" ("Mr. Self, Mr. Self, you have a telephone call.") I'm sure this was a surprise to the Dutch tour bus passengers packing the room, who'd assumed we were Americans. It scared the hell out of me because I assumed someone back home must have died and how the hell did they find me here? It was the manager of the hotel in Kristiansund, who spoke good English. He had tracked us down. We had specified Valle in the little form you had to fill out back then, indicating your destination. However, the hotel in Valle had closed and the chef had moved north the 15 kilometers or so to Bykle. He was apologetic and said he was sending a check to refund our entire breakfast and hotel rooms bill. The check arrived the next day. Impressive! You asked in another thread about my learning Norwegian. I always make sure I learn enough of the language of any country I visit to at least get by...
Ha - what a wonderful story! The older one gets the more one realizes the best things in life are borne out of generosity and a sense of fairness.

BTW....that must have been some summation, counselor! :cheers2:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ha - what a wonderful story! The older one gets the more one realizes the best things in life are borne out of generosity and a sense of fairness.

BTW....that must have been some summation, counselor! :cheers2:
Well, to be fair, Norway was in the beginning of the oil frenzy and I'm sure finding employees was an absolute nightmare. There were other international visitors in the dining room, including a lot of Texas accents. They just understood the menu better than I did. The last time, we went to Norway, English had taken over to where I barely needed Norwegian. One time was critical - returning the rental car to the proper place at the Bergen airport. As in the last time I visited, I ended up being a volunteer interpreter - for Germans. I'll always interpret for someone who's being nice. The only time I remember not doing so was in a little hotel in Lom, Norway. A group of Germans were attempting to check in and were highly agitated because the desk crew understood only Norwegian and English. I could have stepped in the middle and solved the problem. However, the Germans were being so nasty and demeaning, I just thought "nah, don't want to get involved"...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Are the Treadwells your brother and SIL, Bazza?
Treadwell's is the oldest continuous law practice in Wellington, NZ. May still be Bazza's relatives. There is no town named "Kristians" in Norway. There is Kristiansand (think I misspelled it "sund" earlier), and it is about an hour from Molde, where they brought the helicopters ashore...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Are the Treadwells your brother and SIL, Bazza?
Yes, Go Bama. He's actually my step-brother but I always refer to him as my brother. His father and my Mom married in '70 so Treadwell is his family name, not mine.
Treadwell's is the oldest continuous law practice in Wellington, NZ. May still be Bazza's relatives. There is no town named "Kristians" in Norway. There is Kristiansand (think I misspelled it "sund" earlier), and it is about an hour from Molde, where they brought the helicopters ashore...
Ha - interesting about Wellington, NZ. I wonder if my brother knows. They've been to NZ and one of his sons actually stayed down there for a period of time working and doing some missionary work.

I saw the Kristiansand misspelling too and wondered if you'd catch it....which of course you did. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.