Question: Cricket

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
This is actually sports, but Is more about how we think about and communicate when talking about things that seem obvious to us...

The morning we arrived in London (we lived there 2000-2002) in August 2000, there was a major cricket tournament on TV. I stayed awake for hours trying to understand the rules and traditions. I was fascinated and totally confused all at once. I still like watching the major competitions occasionally but still don’t understand the rules well. I also don’t understand the vocabulary. To wit, the quote below is from ESPN today:

Running in to deliver the penultimate delivery of his final over, Ashwin stopped after entering his delivery stride. Buttler didn't have his eye on the bowler and slipped out of the crease. As soon as he saw that, Ashwin simply turned around and broke the stumps at the non-strikers' end with the batsman out of his crease. The decision was sent up to the third umpire, who didn't need much time to send Buttler on his way.”

http://www.espn.com/cricket/story/_/id/26357499/drama-jaipur-jos-buttler-mankaded-r-ashwin

care to interpret?

sounds like he did the equivalent of a bat flip or slow HR trot in baseball ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is actually sports, but Is more about how we think about and communicate when talking about things that seem obvious to us...

The morning we arrived in London (we lived there 2000-2002) in August 2000, there was a major cricket tournament on TV. I stayed awake for hours trying to understand the rules and traditions. I was fascinated and totally confused all at once. I still like watching the major competitions occasionally but still don’t understand the rules well. I also don’t understand the vocabulary. To wit, the quote below is from ESPN today:

Running in to deliver the penultimate delivery of his final over, Ashwin stopped after entering his delivery stride. Buttler didn't have his eye on the bowler and slipped out of the crease. As soon as he saw that, Ashwin simply turned around and broke the stumps at the non-strikers' end with the batsman out of his crease. The decision was sent up to the third umpire, who didn't need much time to send Buttler on his way.”

http://www.espn.com/cricket/story/_/id/26357499/drama-jaipur-jos-buttler-mankaded-r-ashwin

care to interpret?

sounds like he did the equivalent of a bat flip or slow HR trot in baseball ;)
I'm just glad we simplified it to baseball, which can be crashingly boring. I understand cricket wins, even in that wicket... :)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Cricket is easy to understand if you know the rules.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Cricket is easy to understand if you know the rules.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Of course, it's the official national summer sport in Oz with rugby the same for winter.

I don't know much about how it is played but just know of it's popularity down under.

They're so bloody competitive down there (in EVERYTHING they do!) you'd think they were somehow linked with Alabama upstream in their ancestry! :D

From Wiki:
The 2015 Cricket World Cup was jointly hosted by Australia and New Zealand from 14 February to 29 March 2015. Fourteen teams played 49 matches in 14 venues, with Australia staging 26 games at grounds in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. Australia defeated New Zealand by 7 wickets to win their fifth ICC Cricket World Cup in front of a record crowd of 93,013. The winning captain Michael Clarke, retired from ODIs with immediate effect after the final match.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
A corollary to this is the madness of trying to decipher ANY sports story in a British / Aussie paper or website. Even those where one knows something about said sport. No logical flow to the paragraphs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.