Bama Players in the Transfer Portal (UPDATE: Petty & Kira Returning!!)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal

It really depends on a coach we hire. We need a coach that will develop the player. Kira and John will have an opportunity to get to know coach and then make a decision. Bottom line, I'm not worried about those two until We hire the coach and we'll go from there.

I'm not surprised about Kira though. There was some chatter that he was looking to transfer since the middle of the season... If Avery had been retained for next year. Johnson would've had tough time rebuilding his roster for next year and he would've been fired halfway through season anyway.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I know that none of us need to be remind of this but let's keep in mind that Kira is only 17 years old. I'm willing to cut him more slack than I would someone that is a little older. Based on what I had already heard (internet gossip) Kira was unhappy and considering leaving one way or the other and quite frankly I felt like his body language near the end of the season indicated that on several occasions although I could say that about most every player on the team. No doubt there was a toxic environment that had developed and CAJ had completely lost the team. If he will be patient and at least see who the new coach is I'm optimistic that he will stick around and be a great player next year.
I think you are spot on with this. I think back now to Alex Reese's tweet towards the end of the season. I pretty much blew it off as "a kid being a kid". In hindsight, I'm not so sure now that wasn't an indicator how bad the unity and chemistry on this team was at the time.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

It really depends on a coach we hire. We need a coach that will develop the player. Kira and John will have an opportunity to get to know coach and then make a decision. Bottom line, I'm not worried about those two until We hire the coach and we'll go from there.

I'm not surprised about Kira though. There was some chatter that he was looking to transfer since the middle of the season... If Avery had been retained for next year. Johnson would've had tough time rebuilding his roster for next year and he would've been fired halfway through season anyway.
I posted several times that one of CAJ's failures was not having a true backup PG to Kira. We had AJjr this year (no comment) but absolutely no backup PG next year. Not one was signed in the early signing period nor was one being recruited for the late signing period. Plus we did not have space on the roster for one given that we'd signed so many wings. I had heard the Kira chatter and tried to steer clear of the rumor but yet still point out the desperate need for another PG. CAJ has been known as a good recruiter and there is no disputing that the talent level had increased but his roster management was lacking.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

With the way the ncaa is granting waivers for coaches leaving, I suspect he wouldn’t have to sit out a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly why I would not be shocked to see Reese and Petty follow Kira and Ingram out the door. Very strong possibility Herbert Jones, Galen Smith, Diante Wood, Javian Davis Fleming, and Tevin Mack are the only returning scholarship players. Depending on who gets the job, I would not be surprised if one of the signees tries to get out of their signed LOI and leave us with 7 scholarship players. We could challenge Vandy’s 0-18. The upside to that is a new coach could sell wicked playing time to recruits.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Exactly why I would not be shocked to see Reese and Petty follow Kira and Ingram out the door. Very strong possibility Herbert Jones, Galen Smith, Diante Wood, Javian Davis Fleming, and Tevin Mack are the only returning scholarship players. Depending on who gets the job, I would not be surprised if one of the signees tries to get out of their signed LOI and leave us with 7 scholarship players. We could challenge Vandy’s 0-18. The upside to that is a new coach could sell wicked playing time to recruits.
I haven't heard any rumors about Petty but Tevin Mack has been rumored to be considering a transfer.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I haven't heard any rumors about Petty but Tevin Mack has been rumored to be considering a transfer.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I would think he would turn pro after next season. I don't understand sitting out a year somewhere else, to then play the next year, and then go pro. Unless he would still be too young. I don't know the rule.
His ball handling skills leave a LOT to be desired. He's young, and will get better. But, smaller guards ate him up.....too many unforced errors...

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Something just seemed off with Petty. I think Mack would be harder b/c he already has transferred once and sat out a year. Unless he is a grad transfer, not sure sitting again does anything for him. (I think with his history he’d have a tough sell to get a waiver. )

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saw some twitter talk that Petty, Mack, Giddens, Galin, Reese, and even Javian Fleming could bolt.

I would be surprised if all of those guys left, but wouldn’t be stunned if a couple leave after the new hire is made. It’s just inevitable.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

Saw some twitter talk that Petty, Mack, Giddens, Galin, Reese, and even Javian Fleming could bolt.

I would be surprised if all of those guys left, but wouldn’t be stunned if a couple leave after the new hire is made. It’s just inevitable.

Someone will realize that they have a chance to get a lot of minutes in a top five rpi league under a coach with a solid reputation (whomever that might be). I do expect that we will have to recruit some guys from the transfer portal (grad transfers).

rtr

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal (Update: Petty & Giddens do the same)

I don’t blame them, but if they leave before the hire my opinion of them will change.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Just out of curiosity, could Byrne be in contact with recruits in place of Johnson?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Just out of curiosity, could Byrne be in contact with recruits in place of Johnson?

He stated in his presser that’s happening.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.