Bama Players in the Transfer Portal (UPDATE: Petty & Kira Returning!!)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal (Update: Petty & Giddens do the same)

So we could be down 4 players - Ingram, Lewis, Giddens and Petty. That would leave only Reese, Mack, Galin Smith and Herb Jones plus the 2 who redshirted. Then whoever we sign in this class. Yikes..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So we could be down 4 players - Ingram, Lewis, Giddens and Petty. That would leave only Reese, Mack, Galin Smith and Herb Jones plus the 2 who redshirted. Then whoever we sign in this class. Yikes..
Can’t blame these guys even if it sucks for us fans. Be prepared if the hire is a guy that wouldn’t work well with your skill set.

Hope the new hire is able to recruit these guys back, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Petty is gone, no matter who the coach is.
Good. I've not cared for his demeanor and body language from the jump.

If things aren't going his way his just mentally checks out and takes plays off.

He's the Basketball version of DJ Hall..... except Hall was actually great when he tried.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Good. I've not cared for his demeanor and body language from the jump.

If things aren't going his way his just mentally checks out and takes plays off.

He's the Basketball version of DJ Hall..... except Hall was actually great when he tried.
Maybe last year, but he was much better about it this year.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL

I hope these kids have someone guiding them through this process, because it is looking to me like a childish act of "you took my coach so I'll show you" kind of thing. I know they can all enter the portal and still come back, but it still is a bad look. I kind of wish that if you entered the portal, you weren't allowed to come back just to make sure these kids are making the decision knowing they are gone if so.

I really don't like kids committing to coaches vs committing to schools, but I guess that's just where we are now. Can't really fault them when coaches are leaving right and left for whatever reasons of their choosing.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal

Thanks Avery....appreciate it!
Yes, thanks AJ...and B. Battle.
and Grant.
and Gottfried.
and Hobbs.

This has been a dumpster fire a long time coming unfortunately. It's just now all coming to a head. Byrne has to get this right.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

Two time Mr. Basketball in the state of Alabama, has a couple of games where he made a difference in two years and not much else. It is hard for me to understand how these guys come out of high school with such promise and wither away to nothing while at Alabama? We need a freakin' COACH to develop these guys. The time for recruiting athletes and throwing them out there has to be at an end.

rtr

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

I hope all the players stay at least until they meet the new coach whoever he may be.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Maybe last year, but he was much better about it this year.

Agreed. I thought Petty was one player on the team who actually showed some improvement and I thought he played hard even when his shot was not falling.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL

I think we're seeing the state get exposed in the overall talent level. Sure some of these kids are Mr Basketball, but when you're in a small town playing against schools with guys on their team that are just there to fill roster spots... it's a little different than playing in the projects of Philly or wherever.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I think we're seeing the state get exposed in the overall talent level. Sure some of these kids are Mr Basketball, but when you're in a small town playing against schools with guys on their team that are just there to fill roster spots... it's a little different than playing in the projects of Philly or wherever.
Last season I went to Tucson for the Arizona game and I met a fellow Bama fan who lived in the area but was originally from the Gadsden area. He said in Arizona that kids are taught the fundamentals of basketball much better and much earlier than in Alabama. It's been discussed here before but there are various reasons why:

1) budget cuts have forced schools to hire either a good football coach or a good basketball coach but not both. Usually, as was the case at my school, the basketball coach was the assistant football coach.
2) Schools use to open their gyms weekends and summers for pickup basketball games but AHSAA rules do not allow this anymore (not sure if this is correct or not)
3) Football is so big here that the better athletes focus on football.
4) Kids play video games instead of getting outside and playing sports (this problem would not be limited to just Alabama)

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

This is fine right? Nothing to worry about..

Holding on to Lewis will be TOUGH regardless of who we get

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.