Bama Players in the Transfer Portal (UPDATE: Petty & Kira Returning!!)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal (Update: Petty & Giddens do the same)

This is fine right? Nothing to worry about..

Holding on to Lewis will be TOUGH regardless of who we get
It’s all a part of the free agency college basketball has now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

Last season I went to Tucson for the Arizona game and I met a fellow Bama fan who lived in the area but was originally from the Gadsden area. He said in Arizona that kids are taught the fundamentals of basketball much better and much earlier than in Alabama. It's been discussed here before but there are various reasons why:

1) budget cuts have forced schools to hire either a good football coach or a good basketball coach but not both. Usually, as was the case at my school, the basketball coach was the assistant football coach.
2) Schools use to open their gyms weekends and summers for pickup basketball games but AHSAA rules do not allow this anymore (not sure if this is correct or not)
3) Football is so big here that the better athletes focus on football.
4) Kids play video games instead of getting outside and playing sports (this problem would not be limited to just Alabama)
I generally agree with the overall sentiment with this post coming from California. There are pockets of good talent depending on the sport, but football rules all, even in the communities/schools where football hasn't done well for years. It can be tough to convince football athletes to try out for other sports not in the same season as football, and I'd argue that there are a fair number of football coaches who have 100% support of the school administration and use that power to suppress the other sports. There are some great examples where this isn't occurring, and I want to see that expand. Where I grew up in California, it is incredibly common to compete in multiple sports, even if you have one that is your primary sport. The best athletes end up deciding, using a variety of objective and subjective criteria, which one they want to focus on for college. The effect is that a lot of HS in CA have a ton of their best athletes competing in multiple sports. They may find out in their primary sport that they're not going to make it to college in it, so they focus on another.

A great example of this in Alabama is from a few years ago, where the sprint coach at a Madison-area HS was watching the baseball players run sprints from base to base and practice stealing bases. He ended up timing them from where he was standing. Of the handful he was interested in, he asked the baseball coach about them. The baseball coach replied that out of the handful the track coach liked, there was one that probably wasn't going to make the team (evidently they were doing tryouts). The track coach talked to the athlete, convinced him to join the track team, and he ended up being a regular contender for the 7A 100 and 200 meters for track and field; he ended up getting a track scholarship to Auburn.

I believe a transition multi-sport support is happening in Alabama, but there are still those who insist football is all they need, and if they don't make it in football, then what use is there to try the other sports. Obviously, not all schools and communities operate this way; there are many exceptions. But culturally-speaking, there's huge gap between where Alabama is on that spectrum, and where other states that have a ton of athletes are.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Could someone "in-the-know" please verify something I heard.

Once an athlete enters the portal the university has the option to pull the scholarship.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

If people leave, they leave. If the new coach has to sign walk-ons and 2* jucos just to fill out the roster, so be it.

I will trust Oates to recruit and develop talent here until proven otherwise.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I think KL would fit in very well in CNOs system ... same with Petty. Not sure about Giddens unfortunately tho. Just saying it seems like an offense that may not be suited for him honestly.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Saw this on Twitter- “Giddens has officially fouled out of the transfer portal.”

LOL

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Oats seems to have the workaholic gene like our football coach. I reckon he's re-recruiting these guys already.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Petty was quoted as saying he was gone regardless of who the new coach happened to be. Looks as though his ship may have already sailed.
It was clarified.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal

Kira should be just coming in to college now. He would likely be the number one rated recruit this year. I get the feeling he is going to explode no matter where he is next year.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal

I don't quite understand their thinking. It appears they didn't enjoy playing for Avery. So why leave because a guy you didn't like playing for got fired? Seems there would be excitement about a new coach coming in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.