Bama Players in the Transfer Portal (UPDATE: Petty & Kira Returning!!)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal

I like coach Oats chances. Sure does make this post less threatening knowing we have him. Tells me the players misjudged AD Greg Byrnes plan whenever they had "the" meeting.
No I don't think they misjudged it. They weren't sure what would happen. I would've done the same thing if I was in their situation. They just don't want to get left behind and they need to be recruited again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I don't quite understand their thinking. It appears they didn't enjoy playing for Avery. So why leave because a guy you didn't like playing for got fired? Seems there would be excitement about a new coach coming in.
Kinda perplexed as well. I'm still thinking a few players let their emotions get the best of them and it became an overall toxic environment for the team. Granted CAJ has his part in all of this but at the same time the players have to take ownership for their part as well.

Either way it goes, I won't be surprised to see more of a structure and mentality like the football program going forward. If the players that stay dedicate themselves to getting better and by in to what CNO has to offer, we may see the start of something awesome in T'town.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Kinda perplexed as well. I'm still thinking a few players let their emotions get the best of them and it became an overall toxic environment for the team. Granted CAJ has his part in all of this but at the same time the players have to take ownership for their part as well.

Either way it goes, I won't be surprised to see more of a structure and mentality like the football program going forward. If the players that stay dedicate themselves to getting better and by in to what CNO has to offer, we may see the start of something awesome in T'town.
There were lot going on and there was an article on that and I believe Al.com published that...

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

I'm thinking they knew CAJ was gone months ago. Maybe because of wife/family but whatever reason, he was gone. Ended his coaching effectiveness. Hopefully we'll be ok but even best situation I think we're out-coached in this league. Maybe we have the next Coach K. I'm hoping.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I don't quite understand their thinking. It appears they didn't enjoy playing for Avery. So why leave because a guy you didn't like playing for got fired? Seems there would be excitement about a new coach coming in.
It is easy to misjudge the situation somewhat. They were recruited by and came to play for Avery. What ever the situation, they don't have any loyalty to an incoming guy. Anyone who thought getting rid of Avery would keep more players got it wrong. Furthermore, they have no choice whatsoever on the incoming guy, he's chosen for them. However, especially in the case of Kira, he can basically choose any coach he wants to play for and they'd love to have him.

In this case you make the move knowing they're likely to leave, not in order to keep them to stay.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Lewis proved his value this past season and may be a higher rated recruit now than he would have been had he stayed in high school. This makes me dislike the leniency in approvals by the NCAA for immediate playing time even more.

I can see coaches telling high school recruits they'll have room for them the following year so they should attend somewhere else their freshman year than enter the portal and come on over and play immediately as a sophomore. Or players just doing this on their own as they may only get recruited by lesser schools but suddenly blossom and decide they want to shop. The one-year wait needs to be enforced.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

This is just about options. They want to have options, and that's fine. The coach they signed up for has been fired. I don't believe they will make a decision until the meet Oats, and he has a chance to recruit them. In a way, he is going to have to recruit every returning player. This will be a rebuild, and it's going to take players willing to sign up for that kind of hard work. It's much different than coming into a program that's been stable for several years.

I hope they get on board and come back. But if they don't, I wish them well.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I'm thinking they knew CAJ was gone months ago. Maybe because of wife/family but whatever reason, he was gone. Ended his coaching effectiveness. Hopefully we'll be ok but even best situation I think we're out-coached in this league. Maybe we have the next Coach K. I'm hoping.
I think there is something to that assessment. My read on it was that the family was mostly bought into Tuscaloosa because it gave them a once and a lifetime opportunity to have their D-1 quality athlete son coached by the father.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

One thing that we all need to understand is that Coach Oats like to push the floor. Essentially he wants to play the way Auburn does. We will run and shoot, and if you look at our roster from last season how many guys do we have that are suited to that? It's going to be very interesting to see who shows up this summer.

rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

One thing that we all need to understand is that Coach Oats like to push the floor. Essentially he wants to play the way Auburn does. We will run and shoot, and if you look at our roster from last season how many guys do we have that are suited to that? It's going to be very interesting to see who shows up this summer.

rtr
With the fundamentals down, Kira and Petty are very suited for that.

Remember, that’s the offense Avery wanted but never did. The players were recruited for this style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

rtr
A lot of them could be if they improved their fitness I reckon. Kira Lewis in particular seems like the kind of guard you want getting an outlet or starting the break himself with a steal. Especially in the compacted defensive area on the college court, asking small guards to execute offense is a big ask unless they can hit mid to 3pt jumpers consistently.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

With the fundamentals down, Kira and Petty are very suited for that.

Remember, that’s the offense Avery wanted but never did. The players were recruited for this style.
Every time I heard CAJ say "Buckle up!", my only thought was "OK, we're waiting..........................where is it?"

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I do not think this is Auburns system although some parts will be similar. The players in the portal should step back, take a breath, and look at the system he runs. It is designed to for players to make fast decisions, but limits the number of options on any given play to 3 so it should not be difficult to pick up. He prefers to let kids play thru slumps if they continue to play hard on both ends which instills confidence, and keeps them from looking over their shoulder. Our players now were constantly being taken in and out of games so they never were able to develop a rhythm. If the players want to build a resume to play in the NBA, they need to stay put.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal (Update: Petty & Giddens do the same)

https://twitter.com/RTRFND/status/1111283618989654017?s=19

This is why I believe Petty, Lewis can thrive in his system. We have lot of shooters on the roster. So we just need to add a good center or two and we will be okay.

Realllly hope we get them back, especially Lewis because he’s getting tons of attention and we don’t have another PG. But we got Smith, Fleming, and now Hawkins for C no? Not great but don’t think it’s bad

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal (Update: Petty & Giddens do the same)

Realllly hope we get them back, especially Lewis because he’s getting tons of attention and we don’t have another PG. But we got Smith, Fleming, and now Hawkins for C no? Not great but don’t think it’s bad
Hawkins isn’t a sure thing yet. He’ll probably want to visit first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.