Bama Players in the Transfer Portal (UPDATE: Petty & Kira Returning!!)

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal (Update: Petty & Giddens do the same)

Which of those things couldn't have been said about Grant (and I was here voicing the same concerns then, so may be there is something I get)?

I hope Oats is the guy, but as I said Kira Lewis is a major test. We've been here before, I do get it. He has to be ready to make this step forward, or else he'll be like others who did the same exact things at mid-majors and didn't successfully make the leap forward. I'm not saying he can't, I hope he can, but he has to do it. This whole oh they won with lesser players thing so this will be a breeze part ignores all the times it didn't work out like that.

Also, I never had an issue firing Avery. I had an issue firing Avery and not having a proven replacement... I keep saying that.

Anyway, if he can get Kira to stay it will be a huge. If he can't, it will be disconcerting. That's all there is to it.
Then you'd NEVER have fired Avery because Alabama is not going to go out and get a Donovan type coach - even though you seem to think it's possible. Kira staying or leaving is not a "test" - the man only has a limited shot to build any type of relationship with the kid. Many of these other coaches are continuing the previous one they had developed prior to Kira leaving HS. Any way you cut it, the odds are greater on Kira leaving rather than staying.

How about trying this approach instead... reserve judgment/emotions until next fall when a team trots out on the floor and actually plays a game. Also, you need to stop playing down his actual tract record - especially comparing him to Grant. VCU is not Buffalo - go research both and see which school has a longer track record of success.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Anyway, if he can get Kira to stay it will be a huge. If he can't, it will be disconcerting. That's all there is to it.
Meh, couldn't give a rip for all the guys in the portal really. Oats is a new start and he said himself that maybe some of the portal guys don't need to be here anyway. He also said in no uncertain terms we wants Kira to stay. But, it is what it is and Tide Hoops and its future is way larger than one, two or all the guys that want to transfer. Let them go for all I care. Give me some guys that want to be here. That is Coach Oats stated goal and it may take him a minute to do it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Then you'd NEVER have fired Avery because Alabama is not going to go out and get a Donovan type coach - even though you seem to think it's possible.
First off, I'm not trying to turn this thread into the coaching search thread. I was just replying to specific comments. However, allow me to be clear on this. I obviously want Oats to succeed. You mentioned my support for incumbents and the truth is I try to support Alabama's guy and he's Alabama's guy. But I'm not going to pretend my concerns and frustrations don't exist. My comments on the matter basically started with the assumption Alabama would make this sort of move and why that concerned me.

Donovan was an example but he's obviously not the only proven coach. While Alabama has racked up guys with 0 power conference coaching experience, there have been coaches out there, from Pearl, to Barnes, to Matta that for what ever reason didn't end up on Alabama's radar. Perhaps I over-estimate the program and their resources, but I see a team that's paid top 20 money to head coaches, who were not top 20 head coaches. That I can not understand.

I want him to succeed with these level guys as much as anyone. Avery knew NBA guys, but it didn't completely translate. Grant knew mid-major guys, but it didn't completely translate. I most certainly hope this is the exception, I want that as much as anyone else. I don't care who is coaching at Alabama as long as they get the job done. But, I won't change an opinion on this approach, which I've had since 2009, because as I see it Alabama with enough resolve could have had this sorted out ten years ago.

But, may be you're selling Oats short. He has an edge in that these other coaches don't have in that Kira is enrolled at Alabama. May be he can work some magic and if he can I'll be the first to applaud and I'll be extremely happy (edit: I'm also not saying if he missed out on Kira he's a failure, it's just the sort of things I was concerned about).

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Maybe I'm just not the biggest Kira fan...... his PG skills were lacking. He's a slasher who can shoot a decent three, and can dribble/drive -- but not really a true point guard.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

In troubling times like these we need to look to the bible for comfort and guidance: the transfer portal giveth and the transfer portal taketh away. We may lose some players but we may also gain some as well.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

well, it's not a gamebreaker having a combo guard which is how i would classify Kira. Thats the thing now days. But i do wish we had a true, experienced point.

Maybe I'm just not the biggest Kira fan...... his PG skills were lacking. He's a slasher who can shoot a decent three, and can dribble/drive -- but not really a true point guard.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is true. He's a bundle of yet unrealized 17-year old talent. IF he gets a coach who can coach up his fundamentals, whether it's here or elsewhere, he will be something to watch in years to come. I don't think he ever would have developed into a really good floor general under CAJ...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

This is true. He's a bundle of yet unrealized 17-year old talent. IF he gets a coach who can coach up his fundamentals, whether it's here or elsewhere, he will be something to watch in years to come. I don't think he ever would have developed into a really good floor general under CAJ...
Which seems like the oddest thing to me, but it's true. Oats seems like the real deal.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

First off, I'm not trying to turn this thread into the coaching search thread. I was just replying to specific comments. However, allow me to be clear on this. I obviously want Oats to succeed. You mentioned my support for incumbents and the truth is I try to support Alabama's guy and he's Alabama's guy. But I'm not going to pretend my concerns and frustrations don't exist. My comments on the matter basically started with the assumption Alabama would make this sort of move and why that concerned me.

Donovan was an example but he's obviously not the only proven coach. While Alabama has racked up guys with 0 power conference coaching experience, there have been coaches out there, from Pearl, to Barnes, to Matta that for what ever reason didn't end up on Alabama's radar. Perhaps I over-estimate the program and their resources, but I see a team that's paid top 20 money to head coaches, who were not top 20 head coaches. That I can not understand.

I want him to succeed with these level guys as much as anyone. Avery knew NBA guys, but it didn't completely translate. Grant knew mid-major guys, but it didn't completely translate. I most certainly hope this is the exception, I want that as much as anyone else. I don't care who is coaching at Alabama as long as they get the job done. But, I won't change an opinion on this approach, which I've had since 2009, because as I see it Alabama with enough resolve could have had this sorted out ten years ago.

But, may be you're selling Oats short. He has an edge in that these other coaches don't have in that Kira is enrolled at Alabama. May be he can work some magic and if he can I'll be the first to applaud and I'll be extremely happy (edit: I'm also not saying if he missed out on Kira he's a failure, it's just the sort of things I was concerned about).
I want you to think carefully about what you have just stated: Alabama was paying “top 20 money” for less than a “top 20 coach”. There’s a reason “top 20 money” doesn’t bring a “top 20 coach” to the Capstone. Care to guess the possible reasons?

You act as if you know we didn’t check in with any “proven coaches” (which Oats is BTW). From what I heard today, Oats was contacted on Monday. CAJ’s departure began last Wednesday. I suppose Byrne was hanging out for 3-4 days doing nothing but waiting to contact Oats???

If we didn’t get a Thad Matta, it’s because a Thad Matta turned us down. Any good AD is going to at least make those calls.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I want you to think carefully about what you have just stated: Alabama was paying “top 20 money” for less than a “top 20 coach”. There’s a reason “top 20 money” doesn’t bring a “top 20 coach” to the Capstone. Care to guess the possible reasons?
We can go in circles on the hypotheticals. I don't think it's as simple as Alabama has to overpay to get decent coaches, but I'd also argue that the problem might simply be they don't overpay enough. The 115 earmarked for Coleman might be as good an example of any, that ain't cheap but is it enough? If it's not enough, then why pay that much money for a half-measure? Mainly I was trying to make my position clear, something has to change. I hope Oats is the harbinger of that change.

It wasn't that I dislike Oats, there's only a few mid-major guys I'd put ahead of him, it wasn't that I wanted Avery to stay, it's that the program needs more change than just players being coached better. We also both seem in agreement on one thing, which is that there wasn't a big name coach lined up to replace Avery, which is how my remarks on the subject started.

I hope he can keep Lewis, otherwise this will probably take longer to get things on track and unfortunately there's enough fairweather Alabama fans that they might not give Oats the support he needs to do the things he needs to do unless he's winning. That could be a problem so I'm really hoping he can hang onto the guys he wants to (remember he inherited a tournament team from Hurley), and if he retains enough talent his ability should be enough to produce short term success which can get things on the right track.

At the end of the day, we both want the same basic things. Success for Alabama, success for Oats, and I imagine we'd both like Kira to stay to if that's possible because it makes those other two things easier.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Remember, that we need to think macro, not micro. It will take some time if we lose the players to transfer. Don't expect miracles overnight. Is Oats, the man for the job? I think yes, but time will tell. I've thought we had the right coach before, and it do work out so well. If we can hold onto the right players, we have a chance to be pretty good with the kids coming in next year.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Petty is returning. Good news..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.