Bama Players in the Transfer Portal (UPDATE: Petty & Kira Returning!!)

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
It is being reported that Kira has entered his name in the transfer portal. I had heard that rumor during the season. Hopefully the new coach can convince him to stay.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Re: Kira Lewis in the transfer portal

We need him to stay

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes. I felt like the last couple of weeks of the season he wasn't the same. I thought it might be due to him wearing down physically and mentally due to his age. Perhaps he was becoming more and more frustrated with everything going on and that was reflected in his play. Depending on who we get, it would be much better for Kira to stick around than have to sit out a year while transferring. He is too talented to consider sitting for a year.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Just double checking:
It just means he can be contact by other schools but doesn’t mean he will actually transfer.

Hopefully, a new coach can real him back in. Maybe Byrnes can step in and reassure him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

Whooo, hope he stays. It might get real bad before it gets better.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000

I would think he would turn pro after next season. I don't understand sitting out a year somewhere else, to then play the next year, and then go pro. Unless he would still be too young. I don't know the rule.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I would think he would turn pro after next season. I don't understand sitting out a year somewhere else, to then play the next year, and then go pro. Unless he would still be too young. I don't know the rule.
With the way the ncaa is granting waivers for coaches leaving, I suspect he wouldn’t have to sit out a year.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

Just double checking:
It just means he can be contact by other schools but doesn’t mean he will actually transfer.

Hopefully, a new coach can real him back in. Maybe Byrnes can step in and reassure him.

Correct he can come out of the portal. We had a guy do this in football recently. And yes the new coach will be a big factor. Hope Bama does get the right guy and it doesn't take to long to hire him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I'm not worried about this stuff because a coach is more important than a player in our current place in the pecking order. We made the right move. We need to make the right hire. Whoever is onboard after all this is what it is for next season.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I was worried this would happen.

If Alabama makes the right hire, it won't matter in the long term. However, Alabama has to make the right hire....

It's a safe bet that whoever is coming in probably won't have the problem with a real talented team underachieving because he probably won't have the real talented part. This sort of thing does fly in the face of the notion that Avery had to be replaced in order to salvage things next season. The move absolutely shouldn't have been about next year in either case.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

I'm not worried about this stuff because a coach is more important than a player in our current place in the pecking order. We made the right move. We need to make the right hire. Whoever is onboard after all this is what it is for next season.
My thoughts as well. Nothing against any player but im much more concerned about the right hire

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Well said and I think this is the best approach.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Many players look to transfer during a coaching change. We usually don’t find out about it until after the fact. Now we have the portal. I think that the new coach can recruit him back to the team. Maybe Dazon too. The latter seems unlikely though.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I was worried this would happen.

If Alabama makes the right hire, it won't matter in the long term. However, Alabama has to make the right hire....

It's a safe bet that whoever is coming in probably won't have the problem with a real talented team underachieving because he probably won't have the real talented part. This sort of thing does fly in the face of the notion that Avery had to be replaced in order to salvage things next season. The move absolutely shouldn't have been about next year in either case.
I don't recall anyone saying next season had to be salvaged at all. It was never about next year. It was always about the overall health of the program.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I remember a time when I spent many a year coaching youth baseball and softball. There were times it was difficult to get kids to show up for practice (example: trying to get any practices in during spring break was near impossible). Understand also that I told my parents baseball/softball fell in as a priority behind Family, Faith and Academics. If there was an outage/issue/conflicts in those areas, those took priority over practice. Still it was very frustrating when kids weren’t there to practice until my wife started “bending my ear” (and she was absolutely correct). “You are NOT there for the ones that DON’T show up. There isn’t a darn thing you can do about that. You ARE there for the ones that DO show up.” I’ve never forgotten that.

I look at Kira, Dazon and others in the same way. I wish them the best, whether it is here or elsewhere. I’d like for it to be at Alabama, but if it isn’t that’s okay. The new coach coming in is going to be there for the ones STAY, not for the ones that DON’T. It isn’t about where the program is next year, or maybe even the next. It is about the program long term.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

It was an incredibly immature comment and if this is indeed his rationale then it’s another tremendous show of immaturity. Then again he is really young.

I'll add that if his reaction is to run from any negative comment instead of learning from his own mistakes (if that is what really prompted him to act and not the obvious coaching turmoil) he will never reach his full potential and he will need to tuck tail and run a lot throughout his life. I wish him good fortune either way and growing up is hard, but coddling isn't going to make a better basketball player or a better man out of him.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I know that none of us need to be remind of this but let's keep in mind that Kira is only 17 years old. I'm willing to cut him more slack than I would someone that is a little older. Based on what I had already heard (internet gossip) Kira was unhappy and considering leaving one way or the other and quite frankly I felt like his body language near the end of the season indicated that on several occasions although I could say that about most every player on the team. No doubt there was a toxic environment that had developed and CAJ had completely lost the team. If he will be patient and at least see who the new coach is I'm optimistic that he will stick around and be a great player next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.