News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
He's got fire in his eyes, and I believe credible access into Northeast and Midwest recruits' homes that none of our previous coaches have had.

He appears to have charisma instead of Grant's dead-fish personality, and prior experience coaching/teaching kids that Johnson didn't (as college ball's premier players are mostly 17-19 years old these days). It's debatable if this is a better hire, but it most certainly is different.

We can only follow and see from here, but he gets/deserves a positive start from me. RTR

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

champal003

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2006
Coldwater, AL
Here is a condensed version of Buffalo's win this season @ Syracuse. His team went down early and came back to win the game by 12. Yes, Syracuse was not the Syracuse of past, but it is still hard to go in to Syracuse and pull off a win like that after getting down by so much early. They also play fast, get the ball up the court within a few seconds each time and shoot quick. This will be an exciting brand of Basketball to watch. I am excited about this hire as well and look forward to what he can do, I am sure he has already spoke with the team and hopefully he can talk a few of them into staying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEwKPMMQeG8

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Alabama Set to Hire Nate Oats From Buffalo

This is not the typical Alabama hire. His personality is completely opposite that of the previous 2 coaches.
I suppose I should make sure what I meant more obvious.

The cycle Alabama has become stuck in, is hire an unproven coach, when the unproven coach's flaws become obvious, the fans start to say how they're sick and tired of them doing ___ and how they're done supporting Alabama basketball until ___ is fixed, so on so forth. They've never had the same styles, to give one example Grant was completely uncharismatic and Avery was extremely charismatic. It's not that they were the same coach, but neither had coached at a Power 5 school, so there was a similar level of uncertainty as to how they would do under those circumstances.

Oats might be the exception, I mean there are obviously guys that make the power conference transition. But it isn't his style that I find a source of frustration. Just that Alabama keeps going back to the well of, let's see how this guy does at a major conference, rather than hiring someone for whom the question has already been answered. I truly hope that he's special, that isn't a repeat. There's reason for hope, but at the end of the day if he succeeds it won't be because he's offensive oriented, or because of his style, and it certainly won't be because he's unproven, it will be because he simply does a better job.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

Kiss of Death
If memory serves, the Auburn AD came from Buffalo. Heck, he's probably the man that hired him there.

edit: I now see that some info about their past was posted below the twitter photo.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Again, just because he was at the top of the list doesn’t automatically translate into success.

How do you honestly think this guy will do going against at least 4 very good coaches in the sec and with no better facilities than what we’ve had? Just on facilities alone I think he’s handicapped going out of the gate, I don’t care how good of an actual coach that he is. And yes I know Coleman is going to be “upgraded”.....
Gosh, might as well mail it in and not even field a team.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

As I've mentioned previously, I don't really follow basketball anymore outside of our own team due to the style of play, the one-and-done stuff, AAU corruption, etc etc etc. SO, I had no clue who Nate Oats was before 4pm yesterday. I've spent many hours since then trying to find out and reading every linked article here and many more.

I think there are several clear conclusions we can glean about our new HC:
1) The guy works... H.A.R.D.
2) He can flat out coach'em up - or at least has very much done so in his opportunities thus far.
3) He demands H.A.R.D. work from his asst. coaches
4) He demands H.A.R.D. work from his players.
5) He's passionate.
6) He's confident.
7) He is totally different from every other hoops coach in Bama history.
8) That passion and confidence are going to rub some folks the wrong way ... and that's ok.
9) He ain't from 'round these parts - and that's ok, too.
10) There won't be any giving up games due to lack of effort and players will be held accountable.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
How do you honestly think this guy will do going against at least 4 very good coaches in the sec and with no better facilities than what we’ve had? Just on facilities alone I think he’s handicapped going out of the gate, I don’t care how good of an actual coach that he is. And yes I know Coleman is going to be “upgraded”.....
Court is the same size on every campus.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Does anyone think that Barnes recruited that great team to UTK? Or does he just have them playing as a team and playing hard? Hell, Auburn's roster isn't dominated by the five star kids Pearl recruited, but by the other guys playing well within their system and playing hard. Playing hard would have meant Alabama 2018-2019 was a solid NCAA team. Playing hard, the way Wimp's teams did, keeps you in every single game you play with a chance to win.

I am more interested in seeing a roster giving 100% than what all star game they played in. Yeah, I know we laugh about this stuff if it's football recruiting, but we have seen over and over again that the five star kids don't always pan out in basketball and playing within the system and going all out count for as much or more in basketball. I am not asking for Final Fours here. Just give me a shot at the Sweet 16 every year and I am going to be a very happy camper.

rtr

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Y'all need to lay off Coach Newton. He built Bama basketball from nothing. Show some PRIDE! I think it's actually a bannable offense to talk bad about him (Though I'm no longer a mod!). That's all I've got to say about that!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am cautiously optimistic bout this hire. He does seem to be an excellent coach. But the coaching graveyard is littered with the bodies of people who were midmajor hotshots that couldn't handle the bright lights and big city.

That being said, I certainly wish him the best and welcome him to the Alabama family.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Y'all need to lay off Coach Newton. He built Bama basketball from nothing. Show some PRIDE! I think it's actually a bannable offense to talk bad about him (Though I'm no longer a mod!). That's all I've got to say about that!
The SECN profile on him was spectacular.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Actually when CM came to Alabama the tournament field was 24. It didn’t expand to 32 until 1975. You basically had to be a conference champion to get in. Several of those NIT teams (and many of those in NIT fields) would be shoo-ins today to the NCAA Tournament. Those Newton teams not only would been in the tournament, they would have been seeded in 3-6 range at worst.
Comparing tournament achievements by C.M.’s teams to tournament bids today is like comparing apples to tires.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Actually when CM came to Alabama the tournament field was 24. It didn’t expand to 32 until 1975. You basically had to be a conference champion to get in. Several of those NIT teams (and many of those NIT fields) would be shoo-ins today to the NCAA Tournament. Those Newton teams not only would been in the tournament, they would have been seeded in 3-6 range at worst.
Comparing tournament achievements by C.M.’s teams to tournament bids today is like comparing apples to tires.
Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I have waited until this morning to say anything about the hire yesterday afternoon. As of now, I am still not impressed with the hire and I hope I am wrong.

BamaBackerBill

1st Team
Mar 2, 2003
Fayette, AL, USA
I have waited until this morning to say anything about the hire yesterday afternoon. As of now, I am still not impressed with the hire and I hope I am wrong.
Was really hoping to get either Matta or Oats, so I’m excited about the hire. Oats is a fantastic basketball coach and will change the culture of Alabama basketball. Hopefully he can keep most of the roster in tact and add to an already decent recruiting class. Byrne did good! rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.