News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: Alabama Set to Hire Nate Oats From Buffalo

And you hire him for THAT? As much as I didn’t want Prohm, HE would have been a better hire than this.
This isn’t the football program. You think big proven names are coming here when we just renovate the gym instead of build a better one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

His career is projecting upward, which gives reason to believe it will continue.
Doesn't that sound a lot like Gottfried, and Grant, and a lot of other guys that have been on previous Alabama lists? Sounds like Shaka Smart, sounds like just about any up and comer. May be he worked out, may be he doesn't, but he's darn sure not a been there done that coach. He is a typical Alabama basketball hire.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I may have underwear older than him -- but I'm on board.....good luck Coach!

We've never had a coach go 32-4.....I'm in!

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005

Solid hire. Gut feeling tells me he will be much better than some think.

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL

You did and had it pegged, RK32. Byrne probably had his hands tied, and maybe this was really the best he could do with resources that he had.

Very disappointed but by no means surprised.
The thing is, Nate Oats is a GOOD coach. He's a risky stock to buy into, but has potential for huge upside. I'm in a wait and see mode at this point, but he was THE hot mid-major name this offseason.

I'm a little surprised if we were going the mid-major route that we didn't go after Brannen due to his ties to the program. Recruiting and familiarity with the recruiting landscape is the main concern that I have at this point, but he's proven he could recruit well at Buffalo, so we'll see.

This sure puts Byrne's comments in perspective regarding the geographic footprint....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

He has to keep the kids we have now and then get a few more to come to Alabama. My question is can he recruit? I think we'll be able to tell pretty quickly if he deserved a seat at the big boy table. Lots of guys can coach X's and O's.

Are the recruits we signed obligated to come here after Coach Johnson left?
I think he can recruit. The players he signed are the reason why they won so many games.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Even if he doesn't work out as the basketball coach we can always keep him around to run the concession stands. Sounds like he has a real knack for raising money by selling snacks so maybe he could raise enough to replace Coleman with a new arena.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I'm sure he's a good hire and we will be singing his praises sooner rather than later. I think the "look" of the hire is underwhelming because what we've grown to expect with the football program. Most of the fans were expecting a more established/bigger name to move the needle. The truth is, we need someone to come in and develop a winning program in a conference that's steadily improving ... looking at his credentials though, he may very well be that guy.

I'm still like :eek: :eek2: :eek: :eek2: :eek: :eek2: :eek: though lol

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011

Lots of folks sounds like Vols fans talking about Gruden on this board.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

A friend of mine and longtime supporter of the program has been on Oats since the beginning. He's fiery. He's known as a great teacher, and he's also had to build. A gamble, sure? But the idea of him and Pearl going head to head is like nitro meeting glycerin.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Doesn't that sound a lot like Gottfried, and Grant, and a lot of other guys that have been on previous Alabama lists? Sounds like Shaka Smart, sounds like just about any up and comer. May be he worked out, may be he doesn't, but he's darn sure not a been there done that coach. He is a typical Alabama basketball hire.
Definitely a lot of similarities to Gottfried, as I see it.

I’m done being negative about it. It is what it is.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

A friend of mine and longtime supporter of the program has been on Oats since the beginning. He's fiery. He's known as a great teacher, and he's also had to build. A gamble, sure? But the idea of him and Pearl going head to head is like a crimson nitro meeting blowhard dung farmer.
FIFY

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

It’s not that you’re negative but that you’re uninformed. You thought Oats was a high school coach and that Avery had college experience. There’s plenty of reasons to be skeptical but someone uninformed on the basics doesn’t add much to the discussion..

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I think he can recruit. The players he signed are the reason why they won so many games.
Huge difference between recruiting in Buffalo NY and Tuscaloosa. He has zero ties here in the southeast. He may blow us a way at the press conference, but from the outside looking in, it feels like we whiffed.

I've said we need someone to change the culture here. I thought we need a big name to that. As the wise man once said. WE'LL SEE!

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'm not happy, it's a been there done that move for Alabama, when it could have been a let's try something new move. I fail to see why Alabama was in such a hurry to make this sort of a move, but yeah it is what it is.

I hope he's successful, I hope he has what ever similar type of hires were lacking. May be Alabama gets lucky, but I have this feeling I need to set an alarm for 4 or 5 years. I hope I'm wrong though, I really hope this is different somehow. It can be, everyone starts somewhere. But Alabama spends too much money on coaches to keep trying this way.

His first big test will be to see what he can do to keep players from transferring and recruiting. So we'll know a lot soon about how he is in terms of building relationships.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.