News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Alabama Set to Hire Nate Oats From Buffalo

Huge difference between recruiting in Buffalo NY and Tuscaloosa. He has zero ties here in the southeast. He may blow us a way at the press conference, but from the outside looking in, it feels like we whiffed.
We didn't whiff.....we hit the ball we were aiming at......

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

A friend of mine and longtime supporter of the program has been on Oats since the beginning. He's fiery. He's known as a great teacher, and he's also had to build. A gamble, sure? But the idea of him and Pearl going head to head is like nitro meeting glycerin.
Are we the nitro or the glycerine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

It’s not that you’re negative but that you’re uninformed. You thought Oats was a high school coach and that Avery had college experience. There’s plenty of reasons to be skeptical but someone uninformed on the basics doesn’t add much to the discussion..
I said Oats had HS coaching experience on his resume. And yes AJ was all supposedly about energy, enthusiasm, building relationships with players, and running an NBA like style of play, etc etc.

I hope he works out, but I will be very surprised if he’s still here 5 yrs from now and breaks the cycle that we are currently in.

Last edited:

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL

I'm not happy, it's a been there done that move for Alabama, when it could have been a let's try something new move. I fail to see why Alabama was in such a hurry to make this sort of a move, but yeah it is what it is.

I hope he's successful, I hope he has what ever similar type of hires were lacking. May be Alabama gets lucky, but I have this feeling I need to set an alarm for 4 or 5 years. I hope I'm wrong though, I really hope this is different somehow. It can be, everyone starts somewhere. But Alabama spends too much money on coaches to keep trying this way.

His first big test will be to see what he can do to keep players from transferring and recruiting. So we'll know a lot soon about how he is in terms of building relationships.
If nothing else, enjoy the fact that you won't have the hear "IT WAS A TALE OF TWO HALVES" at every press conference:

D2sVutyX4AEM9o2.jpg

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Huge difference between recruiting in Buffalo NY and Tuscaloosa. He has zero ties here in the southeast. He may blow us a way at the press conference, but from the outside looking in, it feels like we whiffed.
I dont think we whiffed.....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS

After reading some of the reactions on here, I want to ask a question. Did Byrne call any of you for your opinion? If he did not, trust the guy to do his job. He did his job and we will see what happens. But my goodness, some of y’all are already not giving this coach a chance. Just my 2 cents...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I've said we need someone to change the culture here. I thought we need a big name to that. As the wise man once said. WE'LL SEE!
I just read an article that talks about his recruiting and he has signed kids from all over, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, California, Michigan. I'm not worried about his ability to recruit the southeast.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Solid hire and I for one am excited about it!

First task is to recruit Ingram and Lewis into staying...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I just read an article that talks about his recruiting and he has signed kids from all over, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, California, Michigan. I'm not worried about his ability to recruit the southeast.
His style of play will appeal to guys in the Southeast...... the fellas who are staying behind better start running sprints today.....

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

The REAL question: do we rename Coleman to “Oats Hall” or the “Hall of Oats”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL

I hope so, but it's a different caliber of talent that you need to recruit to win night in and night out in the SEC. His recruiting classes have never been ranked in the top 75, and he only has 2 4-star players he's ever signed.
He may be a great evaluator of talent, but winning with 2 and 3 star talent will be tough sledding. We'll see if he can do it at a higher level now that he has more resources. I'm not saying he can't, but it is the big unknown.

What's interesting is, CAJ had never proven he could recruit or develop talent, and his proven ability to develop a gameplan was questionable, but somehow that was seen as a better hire than this? At least we've seen proof that Oats can develop players, develop gameplans that win on the highest level, and coach on the court. Let's see if he can get the right players in to implement the system he wants to run though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.