News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Alabama Set to Hire Nate Oats From Buffalo

I guess we can give a shot out to the guys who did include Oats on their lists:
BamaMike05 and Djd303 (his only post, Byrne is that you?)

I said this earlier, but the recruiting stuff we'll find out about sooner or later. He'll have to do a lot of good recruiting to keep things together. His ability to do that will be a harbinger of things to come most likely.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

All of us here are fans of the program and want to see, now that the decision has been made, Oats succeed. If he can average about 20 wins a year, get us in the tournament, and maybe a sweet 16 appearance once every 5 years or so, I think most Alabama fans would be tickled pink. Now lets see if can do it.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

The REAL question: do we rename Coleman to “Oats Hall” or the “Hall of Oats”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So you are saying he'll make our dreams come true....oooh ooh!

OR

Maybe you are saying he's "out of touch"?

OR

Maybe you are saying he's (and I hope not) a Maneater?

OR

Maybe you are saying that he'll look into my "private eyes"?

I'm out....

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

After reading that he wants the kids free to shoot when they are open and averages 15 seconds a possession. I think kids will want to play that style. If he is a big personality, like Wimp was, and he can get the kids fired up to play hard, I'll be all in. Perception is everything and in this case"winning the presser" will be ultra important. I assume they will formally announce tomorrow.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Their NET was extremely high. The real question is if what he does translates to the SEC. Grant had a lot of mid-major success to (two tournaments in three years), it just didn't translate. The key is going to be if he has what the Alabama basketball program has been missing, and he might.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I think this is a solid hire. CAJ wanted to play fast as well, but had to adjust those plans early on. If that was a matter of teaching it to 18-21 year olds, and he wasn't good at that, maybe Oats will be the better teacher of that. AD Byrne's hire for baseball appears to be on the upswing in his second season (at least compared to last year), so maybe Oats can take what CAJ has left him and build on that. I think some of the negative reaction stems from thinking Donovan, Pitino, Matta was the guy, and then it's actually Oats. In fact, just before lunch, or thereabouts, lots of "insiders" were saying it's Matta; clearly they were wrong. Trust in Byrne; time will tell if it works out.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Let me reiterate something said and buried a while back:
Buffalo has had 4 trips to the NCAA, just four: 2015, 16, 18, 19. Oats has 3 of them and Buffalo’s only two wins. He’s won the MAC tournament 3 out of 4 times.

He may be an up and comer but those are some darn good qualities of a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Btw, Matta apparently was on campus today. Not sure for what, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Trust the Process...this happened quick so I think this was who our AD wanted all along

jdua

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2006

Doesn't that sound a lot like Gottfried, and Grant, and a lot of other guys that have been on previous Alabama lists? Sounds like Shaka Smart, sounds like just about any up and comer. May be he worked out, may be he doesn't, but he's darn sure not a been there done that coach. He is a typical Alabama basketball hire.
Thank you. Another, “...Let’s hope for the best!!!” Sure......

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I like the hire. Not the big name but appears to be incredibly respected in coaching circles. Recruiting our current players in the portal and keeping the guys who signed will be his first test. He may bring in an assistant who is familiar recruiting the southeast so he can form relationships with HS coaches (Bucky McMillan would be great for two reasons).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.