News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Re: Alabama Set to Hire Nate Oats From Buffalo

Some moron hired a 73-59 coach from Army. I mean really? He had only 1 20 win season and only 5 years coaching experience. Then again, it worked out pretty well for Duke.

I say ROLL TIDE and I'll supports Coach Oats 100%!!!
Yep, every coaching hire is a risk. There is no guarantee that any coach can duplicate the success they had at one school at another.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I agree 110%.... If Petty, Ingram, Lewis and Giddens want to go, let them go. We want players committed to Alabama. Hall alluded to players not buying in earlier this year. Each player needs to look in the mirror and if they are not committed to Alabama 110%, they need to go. I don’t care if we have 0 scholarship players and go 0-32 next year. I like the Oats hire and will give him at least 3 years before I am worried....
Yeah, for some reason I think the attitude of of one or two players may have gotten to the team. Can't confirm this, but it would make sense on the lack of effort at times. We saw the same thing with DJ Hall and crew when CNS first arrived. I can't help but to imagine what they would have accomplished if they would have brought in.

May be best if those players did seek a new start if that's the case, whoever they may be. Would be fair to them, the new coach and the guys that want to be here as well

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I'm OK with people leaving also. I always tell my players when it comes to keeping up grades and bad attitudes, "All I need is Five to put on the floor" and I've taken just 6 on a road game.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Or running it with the wrong personnel...
Where I saw it the most was on defense when something we would be doing was working like a 2-3 zone we'd come out of the half going man-to-man. It was the most baffling thing ever. I used to ask my dad if he thought Gottfried had money on the games because the moves were so bizarre most of the time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm OK with people leaving also. I always tell my players when it comes to keeping up grades and bad attitudes, "All I need is Five to put on the floor" and I've taken just 6 on a road game.
You can always hope the right ones leave. I have the feeling that some are not just fed up with the coach and the crazy rotations; they are fed up with each other...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

I get the feel that a LOT of players will be used in games. It sounds like he actually knows what he wants to do and will set out to do it. AJ was still saying the team was looking for an identity and consistency...at game 32!!!!

If players don't go all out they simply won't stay. I'd be happy to see a team that doesn't have TURNOVERS as its leading category in the box score. See players actually moving WITHOUT the ball, and seeing post players box out would be nice. If they can hit FT too I'll simply wet myself.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Where I saw it the most was on defense when something we would be doing was working like a 2-3 zone we'd come out of the half going man-to-man. It was the most baffling thing ever. I used to ask my dad if he thought Gottfried had money on the games because the moves were so bizarre most of the time.
True, but CAJ was about as bad. In his case, we'd leave a personnel set which was tearing it up and insert a lineup which just made you groan...

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA

I'm on board 100% untill shown that I shouldn't be.
He needs to be given a chance and we need to support the coaching staff and players until such time (at least 3 yrs) as they show they can't do the job.
Coach Oats: welcome aboard and God Speed.
Roll Tide

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States

Have to give it to Greg Byrne. He put out a nice smoke screen because the majority of people with intel started saying Matta about an hour ago.

Not sure about Oats, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is an incredible hire guys! I’m so pumped about it. His teams AVERAGED 84.4 points a game this season. He went 32-4 in Buffalo! They get up and down the floor and are fun to watch. Don’t forget that his Buffalo team waxed many peoples NC favorite in the NCAA tournament last year. I’m pumped guys. This is a MAJOR UPGRADE!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Dana O’Neal from the Athletic (formerly of ESPN) was on Finebaum and asked about the hire. She said it is a slam dunk hire because Oats was going to be on everyone’s list based on him earning the status of the top tier mid-major coach prospect.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

This is an incredible hire guys! I’m so pumped about it. His teams AVERAGED 84.4 points a game this season. He went 32-4 in Buffalo! They get up and down the floor and are fun to watch. Don’t forget that his Buffalo team waxed many peoples NC favorite in the NCAA tournament last year. I’m pumped guys. This is a MAJOR UPGRADE!
You were one of two posters to name him in the previous thread, so kudos for that.

I don't like the mid-major aspects, I really wanted someone who could come in and show Alabama how it's done at a big time level, however... I do like his personality and style. The only issue is just that we'll have to wait and see how he does at the Power 5 level (basketball is of course littered with guys who didn't make the leap successfully). But, I mean in terms of his approach and everything, I'm cautiously optimistic. Alabama would have trouble finding a coach who did more with less.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015

Now does he keep Pettway on the staff for recruiting or do we start fresh?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.