News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Looks like Hodgson might be coming, absent getting the head gig at Buffalo. He is supposed to be a very good recruiter. Like what I'm hearing so far. I have no doubt that everyone will be working hard. Welcome to coach and his family. I think they will grow to love Tuscaloosa.
I've been to Buffalo a couple of times. Trust me, the Oatses will like the change.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I poked around a bit on a Buffalo message board. They seem sad to see him go, but understand how the system works if you are a Buffalo.

A few wish he had gone for a bigger name, but mostly think Alabama is a pretty decent gig. They seem to want Hodgson to get the job there.

I looked it up, and while the barn AD did work with him, he didn’t hire him as head coach. That was Danny White, now the AD for the 2017 national champions.

They also said UNLV asked about him but only offered around 1.5 million.

I think I also read he likes being on the lake. Maybe a weekend trip with Saban could be in the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
I poked around a bit on a Buffalo message board. They seem sad to see him go, but understand how the system works if you are a Buffalo.

A few wish he had gone for a bigger name, but mostly think Alabama is a pretty decent gig. They seem to want Hodgson to get the job there.

I looked it up, and while the barn AD did work with him, he didn’t hire him as head coach. That was Danny White, now the AD for the 2017 national champions.

They also said UNLV asked about him but only offered around 1.5 million.

I think I also read he likes being on the lake. Maybe a weekend trip with Saban could be in the works.

In the presser he indicated that he likes to take the team to the lake. Should be easier here, and there is more "lake" weather.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: Alabama Set to Hire Nate Oats From Buffalo

As I've mentioned previously, I don't really follow basketball anymore outside of our own team due to the style of play, the one-and-done stuff, AAU corruption, etc etc etc. SO, I had no clue who Nate Oats was before 4pm yesterday. I've spent many hours since then trying to find out and reading every linked article here and many more.

I think there are several clear conclusions we can glean about our new HC:
1) The guy works... H.A.R.D.
2) He can flat out coach'em up - or at least has very much done so in his opportunities thus far.
3) He demands H.A.R.D. work from his asst. coaches
4) He demands H.A.R.D. work from his players.
5) He's passionate.
6) He's confident.
7) He is totally different from every other hoops coach in Bama history.
8) That passion and confidence are going to rub some folks the wrong way ... and that's ok.
9) He ain't from 'round these parts - and that's ok, too.
10) There won't be any giving up games due to lack of effort and players will be held accountable.
Hmmm. He sounds like a certain football coach I've heard of.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Welcome Coach Oats

I think this hire is one where there should be plenty of research before going off and spouting a lot of negative opinions. If you look into all the info you can find and then come back with criticism, that's fair. We shouldn't, however, be critical because his name isn't Donovan or Matta.
That's fair, and I would add not my personal cause for concern.

Has Alabama ever hired a guy with power conference head coaching experience? That's remarkable but I'm not sure they have. What I hoped to see was someone who came from a well established program, who could come in and turn things upside down within the program. Show them how to do it, show them the support staff they need to have in place, the facilities they have in place, someone who built something and sustained. So not necessarily a Matta, or a Donovan, or a Barnes or a Pearl, but someone who can come back and say at ____ this is how we did it and that's how we reached the level we have.

Oats isn't that guy, obviously. He followed Hurley at Buffalo, who got Buffalo into the tournament before he left for Arizona St. and Oats took Buffalo to new heights. But honestly, I didn't want someone to come in and look at Alabama and go wow, this is nice. I wanted someone to come in and go wow, there's a lot of stuff we need to improve. That's what I wanted.

Now, all that aside... I have 0 issue with his performance as a coach. His performance is remarkable and I think their NET last year was around 10 (that is a big boy number). I like his style, I like his philosophy, and just because he's not far removed from high school doesn't mean he won't have some ideas that can improve the infrastructure as well. Nick Saban started at Toledo, Billy Donovan started at Marshall (which was in the MAC at the time), so it's not written in stone that a MAC guy can't come in and show an SEC school how to do things.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

Greg Byrne said on Finebaum that he had planned to interview another coach after CNO, but shut the process down because he had his man.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
"I'll always contend that Kent Benson's put back bucket that gave Indiana the lead with under two minutes left was offense goal tending - his hands and the ball were in the cylinder but I digress.....)"

I'll raise you an additional digress: Benson's egregious flop on Leon (who was at the rim with the ball in his hands) was one of the worst big time calls in the history of the NCAA tournament.
Mark Bradley, CBB writer for the AJC, wrote a column titled 'The Five Worst Calls in CBB History' in 1986 (TEN years later!). The charge call on Leon Douglas against Kent Benson was one of the five!

I remember it as if it happened yesterday. Bama was ahead by three at the time of the call, was completely deflated with the call, did not score again in the game, and lost by five. Douglas was playing with two fouls and Benson with four when it occurred. Fifteen seconds later on the other end of the court, Douglas was hit with his fourth foul. So if the call is made correctly, Benson is fouled out and Douglas is still playing with two fouls . Or three if you insist on including the fifteen seconds after the call. Instead they are both playing with four. There should be a historic painting of the play simply titled 'The Call'.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
All the hand wringing about this hire had me laughing, it may get worse before be it gets better . He's going to be a lot like our football coach,,,, either get with the process or get run over by it.i think basketball is in good hands.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

That's fair, and I would add not my personal cause for concern.

Has Alabama ever hired a guy with power conference head coaching experience? That's remarkable but I'm not sure they have. What I hoped to see was someone who came from a well established program, who could come in and turn things upside down within the program. Show them how to do it, show them the support staff they need to have in place, the facilities they have in place, someone who built something and sustained. So not necessarily a Matta, or a Donovan, or a Barnes or a Pearl, but someone who can come back and say at ____ this is how we did it and that's how we reached the level we have.

Oats isn't that guy, obviously. He followed Hurley at Buffalo, who got Buffalo into the tournament before he left for Arizona St. and Oats took Buffalo to new heights. But honestly, I didn't want someone to come in and look at Alabama and go wow, this is nice. I wanted someone to come in and go wow, there's a lot of stuff we need to improve. That's what I wanted.

Now, all that aside... I have 0 issue with his performance as a coach. His performance is remarkable and I think their NET last year was around 10 (that is a big boy number). I like his style, I like his philosophy, and just because he's not far removed from high school doesn't mean he won't have some ideas that can improve the infrastructure as well. Nick Saban started at Toledo, Billy Donovan started at Marshall (which was in the MAC at the time), so it's not written in stone that a MAC guy can't come in and show an SEC school how to do things.
Rest assured he has taken a look around and said, "wow there is a ton we need to improve." You just don't say stuff like that at the introductory press conference, necessarily.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Rest assured he has taken a look around and said, "wow there is a ton we need to improve." You just don't say stuff like that at the introductory press conference, necessarily.
What Alabama basketball needs more than anything is someone with the gravitas to come in and demand change. Not just getting the players to buy in, but everyone. So if for instance he says we can't just renovate Coleman, we need a new arena, they'll listen. I hope he has that from day 1 and if he doesn't I hope he can earn it swiftly because that is the biggest priority to me. Building something, not winning games, not players playing right, that's short term stuff, but actually building the infrastructure that will leads to sustained success over a long period of time.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
SIAP-

https://twitter.com/cecilhurt/status/1111342328046907392?s=21

[emoji15]

And this-

https://twitter.com/cecilhurt/status/1111342156214616066?s=21

https://twitter.com/cecilhurt/status/1111331925719953413?s=21

Also said he planned to meet with John Petty but was working meetings around their class schedules.

Coach O so far has said the right things and passed the press conference with flying colors. I’m even willing to give him a mulligan for next season.

I don’t think we will really know if this was the right decision or not for at least two years.

Last edited:

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Chris Beard is taking Texas Tech to the Elite 8 now, in back to back years. Guess where Beard was hired from? Ark-Little Rock. Don’t tell me guys can’t come from Mid-Majors and be successful. We just hired a Gem in Nate Oats!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Coach O so far has said the right things and passed the press conference with flying colors. I’m even willing to give him a mulligan for next season.

I don’t think we will really know if this was the right decision or not for at least two years.
I sure hope we don’t call him Coach O.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Impressed with his press conference. I have not watched Alabama basketball since Wimp, but this is the type coach who might just get me back. I agree with Cajun, calling him Coach O should not be encourgaged.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.