News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I haven’t seen people this excited about a coaching hire since we hired Avery Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t agree with this. There wasn’t near as much excitement. I think that there was optimism, but there was still a lot of skepticism with the hire. I think this is a totally different situation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
IIRC, the excitement of Avery's hire was based on him nailing the presser.

The excitement about Oats comes from seeing him already putting in the work along with understanding more about his resume.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
How so?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
IMO, CNO has actually proven that he can win in CBB, CAJ had never done that before, people didn’t know if he could recruit (he kind of proved that wrong) (IMO he recruited good players, but did a really bad job at actually recruiting a team)

Also, if you just look at the Media that actually FOLLOW CBB (not CAJ friends on ESPN and TNT) they were VERY skeptical of that hire. The Mainstream CBB media are praising this hire as a slam dunk.

The last thing, IMO, is that he is already actually putting his money where his mouth is, something that Avery seemed like he didn’t know how to do.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
IIRC, the excitement of Avery's hire was based on him nailing the presser.
For me, the excitement about Avery had everything to do with the fact that Alabama struck out on their coaching search, all the good candidates were hired, and he came out of nowhere to kind of save Alabama. And, the truth is, despite all the issues, he still helped stock the cupboard for the next coach. Things could have been worse, he helped avert disaster.

Anyway, since I expressed my criticism earlier, and I still think there are some problems within the program that need to be addressed somehow, I will have to say this. Oats seems to have nailed pretty much everything he's done since he's been at Alabama.

If these guys just respond well to his coaching, he might be the guy to get Alabama where it's capable of being.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
For me, the excitement about Avery had everything to do with the fact that Alabama struck out on their coaching search, all the good candidates were hired, and he came out of nowhere to kind of save Alabama. And, the truth is, despite all the issues, he still helped stock the cupboard for the next coach. Things could have been worse, he helped avert disaster.

Anyway, since I expressed my criticism earlier, and I still think there are some problems within the program that need to be addressed somehow, I will have to say this. Oats seems to have nailed pretty much everything he's done since he's been at Alabama.

If these guys just respond well to his coaching, he might be the guy to get Alabama where it's capable of being.
Agree with everything you said. We should thank Coach Johnson because the fact is the program was better off than it was under Grant. We have better players now than we did then. The so called cupboard is not bare this time. I think the kids lost faith in him when word came out he was looking at going back to the NBA. Coach Oats probably likes most of the kids, but not all will fit in his system. We'll see who is left when the dust settles.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.