News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'll let those that know basketball Xs and Os call this one, and they seem to be impressed. Plus remember Coach Oats has the most wins EVER by a MAC team. That's not a small task... at Buffalo.
Good Coaching is less about "X's and O's" and more about Leadership Skills and "Jimmy's and Joe's". All coaches down to Pee Wee know about the same amount plays, set's, etc ......, the difference is having the players to execute your vision as a leader.

Nobody has to "sell" me this guy. I'll wait to see the product on court.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Talked to my 'Zona buddy, late last night. He was unaware of what had transpired.

"Wow, you guys got a really good coach. I was hoping he would be the guy we get, if Miller gets fired. He'll get kids from the East, who know how to play basketball and are tough. The problem with today's basketball is too many shooters just standing around, throwing up shots. Those East Coast kids play the right kind of basketball, and are lot tougher. Look at the PAC 12. The refs call ticky-tack fouls, and everyone plays soft. That is why we get blown out by teams from the East so many times. He'll be good for you. You may have trouble holding on to him."

He also talked about being able to recruit good players, who are not in the "one and done" mold. Players that can stay long enough to be able to create a real "team", and not a collection of "5- and 4-star shooters".

(You could probably summarize his assessment of today's college BB as being ruined a.) the one and done types, b.) too many shooters, without enough real players, and of course, c.) the refs!)
Very good information. The stuff about the east coast kids are so true. A couple of years ago I read an article that had data that indicated that the best area of the country for basketball talent was in the Virginia and surrounding areas along the east coast. My theory on why coaches at VCU can look good there and then not so good at other places is they have a lot more talent to pull from in that area and the talent is well coached coming into college so you do not have to be the best coach to put a good team on the court.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Here is the Buffalo (that is Buffalo, NY) roster for this past season. Notice that the kids came from all over the country.

Brock Bertram
C
6' 11"
249 lbs
SO
Apple Valley, MN

Jamon Bivens
G
6' 3"
190 lbs
SO
Atlanta, GA

Dontay Caruthers
G
6' 1"
191 lbs
SR
Rochester, NY

Giambattista Davis
G
6' 3"
203 lbs
SR
Buffalo, NY

Tra'Von Fagan
F
6' 8"
200 lbs
SO
Waterloo, IA

Gabe Grant
F
6' 6"
220 lbs
SR
Chicago, IL

Jayvon Graves
G
6' 3"
193 lbs
SO
Malvern, OH

Jeremy Harris
G
6' 7"
185 lbs
SR
Greensboro, NC

Antwain Johnson
G
6' 2"
197 lbs
SR
Greenwood, FL

Dominic Johnson
F
6' 5"
230 lbs
SO
Windsor, ON

Davonta Jordan
G
6' 2"
187 lbs
JR
Cocoa, FL

CJ Massinburg
G
6' 3"
194 lbs
SR
Dallas, TX

Montell McRae
F
6' 10"
198 lbs
SR
Cleveland, OH

Patrick Moore
G
6' 3"
210 lbs
JR
Fredonia, NY

Colby Moultrie
G
6' 3"
190 lbs
SO
North Tonawanda, NY

Nick Perkins
F
6' 8"
250 lbs
SR
Ypsilanti, MI

Ronaldo Segu
G
6' 0"
160 lbs
FR
Orlando, FL

Jeenathan Williams
F
6' 5"
203 lbs
FR
Rochester, NY

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The guy hasn't coached game 1 and we are worried about him leaving. We very well may have the next great coach, but it is far too early to worry about him leaving. Yes, we can hold on to him if we give him all the tools, the pay, the support, the facilities that he will need to make us a top tier program. Alabama fans at this point just want to make the tournament on a consistent basis, but I have a feeling that his expectation is championships. Assuming we can provide him everything he needs to accomplish that goal, why would he leave short of an NBA job.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Good Coaching is less about "X's and O's" and more about Leadership Skills and "Jimmy's and Joe's". All coaches down to Pee Wee know about the same amount plays, set's, etc ......, the difference is having the players to execute your vision as a leader.
Assumes the coach actually has a vision. Won't mention any names. :biggrin2:

(A slogan is not the same as a vision.)

But, now that you mention it: why couldn't we run a decent inbounds play? To be fair, that blame falls on more than one place.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Re: Alabama Set to Hire Nate Oats From Buffalo

Hey, the "High Post" is back!
He isn’t all HP offense though. He will run some 5 out stuff, some box sets, and some dribble drive pistol action. I’ve seen a lot of Horns stuff in his stuff. There is so much that you can do out of Horns sets! This team is going to get up and down the floor and attack the basket! It’s going to be fun to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

But, now that you mention it: why couldn't we run a decent inbounds play? To be fair, that blame falls on more than one place.
Well I would imagine it would fall to 1) actually practicing it and make it part of your game plan 2) execution

To be far, I don't know about *1 but if it was it certainly didn't help with *2.

Little things like running set inbound plays and executing it properly often get overlooked. Take Florida for example. White made inbound plays (especially from under their own goal) a priority for his team this year. And time and time again, they executed them well enough that they added points to their offensive game (he would say 8-12 points per game). And those points in many cases were enough of a difference for them to win games and in the end, get them into the tournament. And in as much as running a set inbound play is important to set up a score, knowing WHERE not to inbound to or WHO not to inbound to when you're being pressed is just as important.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Good coaching is the highest form of teaching.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
"I'll always contend that Kent Benson's put back bucket that gave Indiana the lead with under two minutes left was offense goal tending - his hands and the ball were in the cylinder but I digress.....)"

I'll raise you an additional digress: Benson's egregious flop on Leon (who was at the rim with the ball in his hands) was one of the worst big time calls in the history of the NCAA tournament.

Imdone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2019
Amen. C.M. came to Alabama when the best African American players in this state would not darken the door of the university. It was CM (and Wimp) that convinced Wendell Hudson, Charles Cleveland, Boonie Russell, Leon Douglas, T.R. Dunn among others that they could be the agents of change at Alabama. C.M.'s 1975-76 team is the team that came the closest to giving us a national title ever. We played Bobby Knight's eventual national champion (and undefeated) Indiana team "off their feet" only to lose in the last minute (IIRC by four points). That Indiana team was led by consensus All-Americans in Quin Buckner, Scott May, and Kent Benson. Bobby Knight even stated that Alabama team was the best team they had played all year.

(I'll always contend that Kent Benson's put back bucket that gave Indiana the lead with under two minutes left was offense goal tending - his hands and the ball were in the cylinder but I digress.....)

C.M. Newton WAS the foundation of Alabama basketball. Plus he was one of the classiest, most well liked and respected coaches not only across the south but across the nation as well.

If Oats turns out to be C.M. Newton 2.0, then I'm not only happy. I'm elated.
.....and Knight said after the game that Bama was the best team he had ever coached against

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL

If you listen to people who know basketball, they all rave about Oats. This is a good hire. Just because his name is not Matta or Pitino doesn't mean it's not good. Dude can coach.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN

He isn’t all HP offense though. He will run some 5 out stuff, some box sets, and some dribble drive pistol action. I’ve seen a lot of Horns stuff in his stuff. There is so much that you can do out of Horns sets! This team is going to get up and down the floor and attack the basket! It’s going to be fun to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen his teams actually run off-ball screens!

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham
Geez after reading some of these posts....Give the guy a chance!

Do we really want an old Thad Matta or Rick Pitino?

We certainly were not going to get Billy Donavan..............RTR!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Who's C.M. Newton? From Transylvania? Are you kidding me? That'll never work.
Bill Self Oral Roberts
Pitino Boston U
Calipari UMass

I can keep going. Some work out, some don't. When they work out it is great. This one works out IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.