News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Alabama Set to Hire Nate Oats From Buffalo

Y'all realize that all these big names some have rattled off earned their stripes coaching a program like Buffalo first?

I'd feel more comfortable with getting a known commodity, sure, but really it is about getting a quality coach. Sometimes getting them early is the best. Not everyone is like Saban who got more dominant with age.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I hope so, but it's a different caliber of talent that you need to recruit to win night in and night out in the SEC. His recruiting classes have never been ranked in the top 75, and he only has 2 4-star players he's ever signed.
He may be a great evaluator of talent, but winning with 2 and 3 star talent will be tough sledding. We'll see if he can do it at a higher level now that he has more resources. I'm not saying he can't, but it is the big unknown.

What's interesting is, CAJ had never proven he could recruit or develop talent, and his proven ability to develop a gameplan was questionable, but somehow that was seen as a better hire than this? At least we've seen proof that Oats can develop players, develop gameplans that win on the highest level, and coach on the court. Let's see if he can get the right players in to implement the system he wants to run though.
Sounds good, just as long as we are able to beat the Barn ...

and Kentucky
Tenn
Miss State
Ole Sis
Florida
Georgia
Vandy
Texas A&M
Missu
and Arky

and the Barn again ...

I'm happy :biggrin2:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Huge difference between recruiting in Buffalo NY and Tuscaloosa. He has zero ties here in the southeast. He may blow us a way at the press conference, but from the outside looking in, it feels like we whiffed.

I've said we need someone to change the culture here. I thought we need a big name to that. As the wise man once said. WE'LL SEE!
Can't whiff if the first guy you offer comes on board. Big names have to start somewhere. The AD at LSU that hired Nick away from Michigan State sure looks like a genius.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Lukewarm on the hire and in a "Let's see what he can do" mode. Not thrilled about the HP offense, becuase we still have to make shots and handle the ball well when the defense pushes the ball out to around half-court. That's been the story the past 13 years. Let's see! I still remember the CMG HP offense.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

I'm excited by the hire and will be a supporter. I know I'll be making several trips to Coleman next year after not taking in a single game there this year for the first time since the 1999 season. We don't know how successful he will be, but by the same token there is no guarantee that Matta or <insert the big name you were hoping for> would be any more successful. Coach Saban taught us that everyone has a job to do and for us fans it is to cheer on our players. So, regardless of who you wanted as coach, Oats is now our guy and it's time to get behind him or get out of his way.

Welcome Coach Oats, looking forward to good times and big wins. RTR!!!

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

A couple of things I like about this guy.

First, the guy doesn't act like the job is "too big for him". He needs that when recruiting head to head versus some of the top teams in this league and the country.

Second, Oats certainly isn't a "shrinking violet". The guy isn't afraid to say what he thinks and owns it like a boss.

I'm not going to predict he is going bring a SEC championship to Tuscaloosa, but I think this guy is at least going to be fun to watch.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I like he's smart, young, energetic. Young enough to relate to these young kids. I'm not going be neg until theirs something to be Neg about. A winner where ever he has been.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Lukewarm on the hire and in a "Let's see what he can do" mode. Not thrilled about the HP offense, becuase we still have to make shots and handle the ball well when the defense pushes the ball out to around half-court. That's been the story the past 13 years. Let's see! I still remember the CMG HP offense.
It's OK for the HP to be part of your offense. It's not OK for it to be your total offense, as with CMG...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

It's OK for the HP to be part of your offense. It's not OK for it to be your total offense, as with CMG...
I know......just brings back those days. I'm hoping that he is as good as advertised and is up tempo.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

And I rembember John Wooden's HP offense ;).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Avery Johnson was a legitimately bad hire. He's a great man but he is not the right kind of coach for the college game. Hell, he has a narrow scope for good fit in the NBA. He's never proven to be a great offensive mind but he did overhaul the Mavs defense from awful to almost good-enough-for-a-title caliber if not for their inability to handle slashing wing players like Dwayne Wade. Basically, he'd only be a positive hire if you already had star offensive players and a system that can be maintained by an assistant.

Anthony Grant was a swing and miss but Johnson was just a bad hire from the outset and I mostly kept my mouth shut about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.