ADMIN NOTE: Posting paywalled links...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As a matter of courtesy, please use the standard uB syntax code to indicate that your link is paywalled. IOW, [u r l = "actual link"] NYT Paywalled [ / u r l ]. Take out the spaces, of course...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As a matter of courtesy, please use the standard uB syntax code to indicate that your link is paywalled. IOW, [u r l = "actual link"] NYT Paywalled [ / u r l ]. Take out the spaces, of course...
Or, if you can't handle the syntax, just note in your post that it's paywalled. Makes it less irritating...

Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri....alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
One thing to consider is that if a site lets you view a certain amount of articles before forcing you to subscribe (e.g. the Economist and New York Times), then the poster may not realize that there is a paywall.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One thing to consider is that if a site lets you view a certain amount of articles before forcing you to subscribe (e.g. the Economist and New York Times), then the poster may not realize that there is a paywall.
If it's a link to a site like NYT or WaPo, it's safe to assume that the person may have exceeded their limit. If the syntax is used with the link language indicating the source, then the person him/herself will probably realize it. The biggest offender lately seems to be Apple news, which is just a link through Apple, which doesn't indicate at all where the link leads. It's not hard and its considerate of one's fellow members...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I stay as far as possible from Apple products out of personal preference, so I have no idea why Apple news hides the real link. As I said, what I'm asking for is just common courtesy...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I stay as far as possible from Apple products out of personal preference, so I have no idea why Apple news hides the real link. As I said, what I'm asking for is just common courtesy...
very simple reason, it artificially inflates Apple News web traffic to route any shared link through their site to whomever

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
very simple reason, it artificially inflates Apple News web traffic to route any shared link through their site to whomever
I really shouldn't have put it that way. Google does exactly the same. What I really meant was that I didn't understand why anyone would get news only through Apple...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I really shouldn't have put it that way. Google does exactly the same. What I really meant was that I didn't understand why anyone would get news only through Apple...
cultivated startup pages are a tempting beast. Between algorithms that learn what you want to see and micro-services to deliver them to you they are pretty damn handy for getting the news you want (the news the algorithm thinks you want anyway) quickly. They are of course incredibly dangerous. It's why I stopped using Google news as I was concerned I was only re-enforcing my own bubble and wanted to break free of that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.