AAF may fold - Page 6
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: AAF may fold

BamaNation First Team OakMtn4Bama's Avatar

Re: AAF may fold

Al.com reporting that the league is suspending operations as of today.

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Orlando Apollos coach Steve Spurrier laments AAF's demise, says league founders were not truthful

“Everybody wanted to play out the season and everybody is disappointed,” said Spurrier, who came out of semi-retirement and was the first head coach named by the AAF. “Everyone was led to believe that the Alliance was well funded and we could play three years without making and money and this, that and the other. Obviously, everything that was said was not very truthful.”

Spurrier added the league hasn't officially shut down yet.
    “It isn't official until it's official,” Spurrier said.
    The league is expected to make an announcement about its future at 5 p.m.
    If it shuts down, Spurrier said the team has already said its goodbyes.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    I know that the USFL had it's problems (I think one franchise went from Boston to New Orleans to Portland over the three seasons of the league), but there was some solid core there that I really wanted to survive
    I posted some thoughts a while ago about the AAF and how I thought it couldn't possibly succeed with the way they were doing things (without external help). I have some interest in semi-pro football, I've got some memorabilia, I've had season tickets to the Rhein Fire, I'm not a massive fan but I've also looked up attendance and finances and what not. No one would really explain to me how it was going to work this time, so I could only conclude it wouldn't unless the NFL infused it with funds.

The only leagues with any sort of staying power have been the CFL, which operates outside of the United States, the Arena league and offshoots (which has still had plenty of trouble, but the arena format seems to help keep costs down), and really I'd say the NFL Europe. It was backed by the NFL and has some of the best attendance numbers, sustaining over 20K, but even then the NFL pulled the plug.

I still don't see where the money is coming from. In this case there was some gambling tech which might have been more valuable than the league itself, but that doesn't change the fact that the league was on bad economic footing. Similarly from what I've seen high costs and falling attendance undid the USFL.

The thing that surprises me in all of this is that they keep trying to make these leagues, even if there doesn't seem to be the market for it. Once novelty wears off, there's really not a whole lot to hold people's attention. I don't see how the XFL succeeds unless someone goes big on the content for their streaming service, overpaying to get a piece of the action, and even then that seems like a temporary reprieve. It will take something special to make this work, so I'm not pointing fingers when a league fails, except at the people who seemed to think it wouldn't.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I posted some thoughts a while ago about the AAF and how I thought it couldn't possibly succeed with the way they were doing things (without external help). I have some interest in semi-pro football, I've got some memorabilia, I've had season tickets to the Rhein Fire, I'm not a massive fan but I've also looked up attendance and finances and what not. No one would really explain to me how it was going to work this time, so I could only conclude it wouldn't unless the NFL infused it with funds.

The only leagues with any sort of staying power have been the CFL, which operates outside of the United States, the Arena league and offshoots (which has still had plenty of trouble, but the arena format seems to help keep costs down), and really I'd say the NFL Europe. It was backed by the NFL and has some of the best attendance numbers, sustaining over 20K, but even then the NFL pulled the plug.

I still don't see where the money is coming from. In this case there was some gambling tech which might have been more valuable than the league itself, but that doesn't change the fact that the league was on bad economic footing. Similarly from what I've seen high costs and falling attendance undid the USFL.

The thing that surprises me in all of this is that they keep trying to make these leagues, even if there doesn't seem to be the market for it. Once novelty wears off, there's really not a whole lot to hold people's attention. I don't see how the XFL succeeds unless someone goes big on the content for their streaming service, overpaying to get a piece of the action, and even then that seems like a temporary reprieve. It will take something special to make this work, so I'm not pointing fingers when a league fails, except at the people who seemed to think it wouldn't.
    1) the XFL has a huge advantage in that Vince has already put 275 million dollars in to pay players for 3 years regardless of profits. The AAF trusted a snake and didn’t hold him to a firm pledge.

2) the gambling technology in terms of the product IS a very lucrative property. Otherwise Dundon would’ve never “invested” in the first place. Vince is trying to hit it big on the same idea. No it can’t save a league, but it’s a property that everyone in sports is trying to figure out, and Vince and Ebersol May hold the two best ideas.

3) the goal is to form a relationship with the NFL. The reason NFL Europe folded wasn’t financial reasons. It was with the NFL teams gaming the idea by getting players more pt in a league made for scrubs. Point being, “ you can’t tell me James Harrison should’ve ever played for the Rhein Fire with a straight face”.

These leagues are really not geared around making money is the point. They are trying to be that “feeder” or “expiremental” league that has NFL backing.

4) The real crime with the AAF is not finishing the season. Dundon is a real tool bag for making that decision. Had he done this after the season then it would’ve been a more positive image on him.

BamaNation First Team

Dear Phil Savage,

Please come home. Eli needs you. We do too.

Sincerely,

Someone that still misses Snake, but you're really good too.

https://twitter.com/robertklemko/sta...506344448?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-SEC

I am not sure how this happened, really? Ebersol and Polian should have never allowed this to go forward if they had to bring in a money many a couple of weeks into the season. I am sure they were out trying to sell sponsorships and investors, but to give the league to one guy was very short sighted on their part, and that was what was necessary they shouldn't have ever started to begin with.

I am very disappointed for everyone involved in putting on these games. They gave it their best. What I will remember about the AAF was the joy of the players, seeing them have another chance to compete, and for coaches like Birmingham's, who finally got an opportunity to be a head coach after so many years as an NFL assistant.

rtr

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post

Orlando Apollos coach Steve Spurrier laments AAF's demise, says league founders were not truthful

“Everybody wanted to play out the season and everybody is disappointed,” said Spurrier, who came out of semi-retirement and was the first head coach named by the AAF. “Everyone was led to believe that the Alliance was well funded and we could play three years without making and money and this, that and the other. Obviously, everything that was said was not very truthful.”

Spurrier added the league hasn't officially shut down yet.
    “It isn't official until it's official,” Spurrier said.
    The league is expected to make an announcement about its future at 5 p.m.
    If it shuts down, Spurrier said the team has already said its goodbyes.
    I wonder if any of the USC players Spurrier left holding the bag feel sorry for him...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Some people will never learn.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I wonder if any of the USC players Spurrier left holding the bag feel sorry for him...
    So his coaching was all about "going out a winner." Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I understand what you are trying to say.

But he didn't cancel the football program when he stepped down.

I wonder if any of the players understood why he left before the season ended?