AAF may fold

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
I doubt 500 dollars a season will cover a second mortgage on a house.
The stipend an assistant HS coach gets is probably less than a football official makes over the course of the season and they put in a LOT more hours. It's a different story if you are going into college or professional coaching right away, but a D1 college official probably makes $20-$30k per year after expenses and still has a regular job for primary income. It's likely going to take you at least 10-15 years of high school/small college officiating to get there though.

But seriously, it's a great way to stay engaged in the game, you will make amazing friends who are passionate about the avocation, and you can have a positive impact with a job well done. I should warn you though you will look at sports differently. You have never truly watched a game without caring about the outcome of each play or game. You are so focused on what you are doing and your responsibilities that each play is just another play. It doesn't matter if it's the first play of the game or the last play. I am still a fan and watch my teams but I'm not as emotionally wrapped up in the outcome. That may not be a good thing for some people. We are seriously hurting for good officials in every corner of the country and the trend is getting much worse every year. Youth leagues and middle schools are having to cancel games. Freshmen and JV games are getting cancelled. Varsity games are moving to Saturday or Thursday so they can be covered. It's getting worse and worse every year. Not enough younger people are doing it so if you have ever even remotely considered it please let me know. I can connect you with an official in your area to help you get started.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
The stipend an assistant HS coach gets is probably less than a football official makes over the course of the season and they put in a LOT more hours. It's a different story if you are going into college or professional coaching right away, but a D1 college official probably makes $20-$30k per year after expenses and still has a regular job for primary income. It's likely going to take you at least 10-15 years of high school/small college officiating to get there though.

But seriously, it's a great way to stay engaged in the game, you will make amazing friends who are passionate about the avocation, and you can have a positive impact with a job well done. I should warn you though you will look at sports differently. You have never truly watched a game without caring about the outcome of each play or game. You are so focused on what you are doing and your responsibilities that each play is just another play. It doesn't matter if it's the first play of the game or the last play. I am still a fan and watch my teams but I'm not as emotionally wrapped up in the outcome. That may not be a good thing for some people. We are seriously hurting for good officials in every corner of the country and the trend is getting much worse every year. Youth leagues and middle schools are having to cancel games. Freshmen and JV games are getting cancelled. Varsity games are moving to Saturday or Thursday so they can be covered. It's getting worse and worse every year. Not enough younger people are doing it so if you have ever even remotely considered it please let me know. I can connect you with an official in your area to help you get started.
Started officiating high school baseball this spring, and will start officiating middle school - JV football this fall. I still have one playing on friday nights that i gotta go watch.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Several AAF players have already signed with NFL teams (Garret Gilbert to the Browns), or are getting workouts (Luis Perez with the Eagles). J.C. Hassenauer signed with the Steelers, I think.

The league did help some guys get another chance, which is what it was for.

Rtr

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
At some point investors/owners are going to figure out that another professional football league is not going to work for many reasons.
Next year the XFL revival starts up and the same sheep will show up thinking this will be the one to make it.

I have seen some people blame the NFL for the AAF’s collapse for not letting them use their players. If they wanted a development league they would have one. They had the World League and decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

And not to defend Trump, but the USFL’s failure wasn’t all his fault. The move to fall hastened its demise, but the league was bleeding money. It couldn’t have lasted much longer. The league had to support the LA franchise just to keep the TV contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Why would the NFL support a developmental league when it already has one for free, college football? The only way a developmental league makes sense for the NFL is if they aren't getting the quality of player out of college that they feel is good for their product on the field. But that's nowhere near the case. Most of these guys have been groomed to play football since they were in youth sports. It's why quarterbacks coming out of HS now days are so much more advanced and polished in the passing game. They've been attending camps, getting private lessons and basically being groomed to be a top notch college player. There's no need for a developmental league for the NFL.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Next year the XFL revival starts up and the same sheep will show up thinking this will be the one to make it.

I have seen some people blame the NFL for the AAF’s collapse for not letting them use their players. If they wanted a development league they would have one. They had the World League and decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

And not to defend Trump, but the USFL’s failure wasn’t all his fault. The move to fall hastened its demise, but the league was bleeding money. It couldn’t have lasted much longer. The league had to support the LA franchise just to keep the TV contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The USFL never made the move to the fall. They had an offer on the table from ABC of 170 million for 3 years, which at that time was good money, to stay in the spring.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Why would the NFL support a developmental league when it already has one for free, college football? The only way a developmental league makes sense for the NFL is if they aren't getting the quality of player out of college that they feel is good for their product on the field. But that's nowhere near the case. Most of these guys have been groomed to play football since they were in youth sports. It's why quarterbacks coming out of HS now days are so much more advanced and polished in the passing game. They've been attending camps, getting private lessons and basically being groomed to be a top notch college player. There's no need for a developmental league for the NFL.
Kurt Warner says hi

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Why would the NFL support a developmental league when it already has one for free, college football?
College football is absolutely the reason that semi-pro football can't really do anything.

To that point, one could argue college football is actually over-funded, in the sense that there are programs losing money on their football team that keep pouring money in (UAB and South Alabama to add some local examples). You can't do that model in a professional league, you have to make money, so college football isn't just providing a service for the NFL, they're putting more resources into a lot of these guys than a professional league of any sort could afford to.

There's also the fan side of things, which is that fans just care way more about college football. We see the same thing in basketball, with the G-League and overseas leagues. Players can and do occasionally go over there to play, but they do so rarely. It isn't that they can't get paid, they just find that colleges are a more attractive option in most cases. To give a recent example, Zion has become hugely popular through his play in college. Doing the same thing in Europe or the G-League wouldn't have lead to anywhere near the same level of popularity.

That's why the XFL isn't really a threat to take players away, they'll take some here or there but not enough to matter. This isn't baseball and the minor leagues, because the big difference here is baseball in college offers far less (less in the form of scholarships and just overall funding) than basketball or football in college, while the minor leagues in baseball (offering higher draft picks big bonuses out of high school) offer far more than semi-pro football or basketball.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So one Kurt Warner success story is worth the billions of dollars of investment it would cost for the NFL to fund a development league? Come on. you're smarter than that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The NFL wants an alternative feeder league that the 32 teams don’t bend the rules around and they don’t lose their butts on. There are far more “ Kurt Warner” cases than you believe. Not everyone can go to a P5 team and get exposure.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
College football is absolutely the reason that semi-pro football can't really do anything.

To that point, one could argue college football is actually over-funded, in the sense that there are programs losing money on their football team that keep pouring money in (UAB and South Alabama to add some local examples). You can't do that model in a professional league, you have to make money, so college football isn't just providing a service for the NFL, they're putting more resources into a lot of these guys than a professional league of any sort could afford to.

There's also the fan side of things, which is that fans just care way more about college football. We see the same thing in basketball, with the G-League and overseas leagues. Players can and do occasionally go over there to play, but they do so rarely. It isn't that they can't get paid, they just find that colleges are a more attractive option in most cases. To give a recent example, Zion has become hugely popular through his play in college. Doing the same thing in Europe or the G-League wouldn't have lead to anywhere near the same level of popularity.

That's why the XFL isn't really a threat to take players away, they'll take some here or there but not enough to matter. This isn't baseball and the minor leagues, because the big difference here is baseball in college offers far less (less in the form of scholarships and just overall funding) than basketball or football in college, while the minor leagues in baseball (offering higher draft picks big bonuses out of high school) offer far more than semi-pro football or basketball.
If you believe that a good number of college students wouldn’t ditch the crimson for cash and pretty good health insurance then you don’t know college students. And to bring up the dirtiest collegiate sport in the country (basketball) only proves that further. Hell the FBI is involved.

Ask yourself, what’s more attractive to an elite athlete that struggles in school? “A 3 year deal for 200k, health insurance, and endorsement deals?” or “ 3 years of rigorous school work with non stop football training while delivering dominos”?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If you believe that a good number of college students wouldn’t ditch the crimson for cash and pretty good health insurance then you don’t know college students.
These guys have had options all along. Heck, they have no obligation of any sort of play in college yet they keep doing it.

They only time we've ever seen serious poaching is when the major league, literally, MLB and NBA signed people straight out of high school. Otherwise, they have consistently chosen college as the favored options. To say ignore basketball because it doesn't count is ignoring a heck of a lot (Europe is littered with pro-leagues that sign teenagers), but what do I know, I said all along AAF wasn't economically viable...

I'll tell you right now, the XFL can't poach many would be college kids (they won't want to either), and what they're offering now probably isn't even sustainable.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
These guys have had options all along. Heck, they have no obligation of any sort of play in college yet they keep doing it.

They only time we've ever seen serious poaching is when the major league, literally, MLB and NBA signed people straight out of high school. Otherwise, they have consistently chosen college as the favored options. To say ignore basketball because it doesn't count is ignoring a heck of a lot (Europe is littered with pro-leagues that sign teenagers), but what do I know, I said all along AAF wasn't economically viable...

I'll tell you right now, the XFL can't poach many would be college kids (they won't want to either), and what they're offering now probably isn't even sustainable.
Ignore basketball? College basketball proves Money rules the interest of most collegiate athletes. Have you been living under a rock or completely oblivious to the FBI’s investigation of the AAU?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ignore basketball? College basketball proves Money rules the interest of most collegiate athletes. Have you been living under a rock or completely oblivious to the FBI’s investigation of the AAU?
To reiterate there are professional European leagues that pay some players millions of dollars. The starting salaries are comparable to numbers people are throwing around here. If college basketball players won't leave for Europe, then why on earth would we believe they'd leave college football for what is at best the same deal?

The fact is the non-NBA professional league offerings are vastly superior than what semi-pro football can offer, even if you include the XFL, yet we never saw an exodus from college athletics.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
To reiterate there are professional European leagues that pay some players millions of dollars. The starting salaries are comparable to numbers people are throwing around here. If college basketball players won't leave for Europe, then why on earth would we believe they'd leave college football for what is at best the same deal?

The fact is the non-NBA professional league offerings are vastly superior than what semi-pro football can offer, even if you include the XFL, yet we never saw an exodus from college athletics.
To reiterate NCAA basketball is the dirtiest sport in college. So why would they leave the states when they are getting absurd amount of unregulated money.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.