AAF may fold - Page 8
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: AAF may fold

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Re: AAF may fold

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Anybody know how much the players were making? I’m guessing it was not much.
    3 year 250k contracts
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Anybody know how much the players were making? I’m guessing it was not much.
    Year 1 - $70,000
    Year 2 - $80,000
    Year 3- $100,000
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Year 1 - $70,000
    Year 2 - $80,000
    Year 3- $100,000
    I know I'd rather be getting that money doing computers than getting tackled by big dudes.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I know I'd rather be getting that money doing computers than getting tackled by big dudes.
    Yeah, I am fine doing architecture. 200-300lb guys don't try and tackle me while I do it.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    https://www.sbnation.com/2019/4/3/18...ol-bill-polian
    Basically... Little Ebersol is an idiot for trusting money not in the bank from would be investors, and Dundon is a snake in the grass.
    That article did a good job of summing up what probably took place. Sounds like Dundon was a con man, who fleeced them, in the hopes he would walk away with a valuable asset. (Looks like he won't.)

It’s here where billionaire Tom Dundon enters the picture. Dundon, owner of the Carolina Hurricanes, made his fortune off subprime car loans, before parlaying that into a 55 percent purchase of “TopGolf,” which marries sport and technology. Dundon came through as the AAF’s bailout, committing a reported $250 million to ensure operations could continue, but in reality only gave $70 million to the AAF and was operating on a weekly basis. The result of this investment was that Dundon became chairman of the board — and had full control of its future.

Seeing how he made his fortune explains pretty much all that you need to know about him.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cuda.1973 View Post
    That article did a good job of summing up what probably took place. Sounds like Dundon was a con man, who fleeced them, in the hopes he would walk away with a valuable asset. (Looks like he won't.)

Seeing how he made his fortune explains pretty much all that you need to know about him.
    Yeah its what I make of it. I think Charlie has heard all of these stories about "How Vince destroyed a good idea" from his dad that he believed starting up a league off logical ideas was easy. He thought he had a good investor, but didn't hold him to a 128 million pledge. I think at that point is where things went south. I thought from the start that Dundon wasn't after making this a better league as much as controlling key patented items. You don't just get a NHL owner interested in a spring football league to the degree of 250 million dollars and majority control out of the blue. I think Ebersol should've went around to folks like Jerry Jones and other well off NFL owners to buy into this if he wanted it to succeed. Because I'm sure there was some interest over some of the technological aspects that would have them interested enough to burn money for a few years to gauge the NFL interest in the league. But Ebersol probably made two of the worst decision of all time for spring football ever made 1) starting a league without hard money and 2) selling total control to a person that is a known con man without hard money.

It would've been better for Ebersol to have made peace with Vince from the get go. From what I read, one of the issues was having a SLC and Phoenix team.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jashleyren2 View Post
    It got a lot of interest here in Birmingham, but I doubt Atlanta or Orlando even knew it was going on. Trouble is, football is king here in Alabama, but those other places have lots of other things to capture their attention, like MLS, NBA, and MLB in the case of Atlanta.

Interest was strong in Birmingham. We had attendance. I don't know about other cities, but it could have done well here.
    Yep. They have a lot in Atlanta that they aren't particularly good at.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Yeah, I am not sure if anyone cares how this effects those involved who are already wealthy. But a lot of coaches and players just lost their only income because they trusted the people who put this together. I am sure that some left other jobs for this opportunity.
    Oh, I get it, I'm just not feeling sorry for a coach who walked out on his own CFB team then whines about getting treated the same way. Screw Spurrier.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

There is a special place in Hell for Dundon.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

I’d have a pretty quick response to that request, filled with four letter words and a hand wave with only one finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    But the catch is you're able to do something else for that type money. My guess is a lot of these guys don't have skills or trade outside of football that is worth that type money.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by jashleyren2 View Post
    It got a lot of interest here in Birmingham, but I doubt Atlanta or Orlando even knew it was going on. Trouble is, football is king here in Alabama, but those other places have lots of other things to capture their attention, like MLS, NBA, and MLB in the case of Atlanta.

Interest was strong in Birmingham. We had attendance. I don't know about other cities, but it could have done well here.
    I heard the figure 30,000 in attendance for a San Antonio game, back before the talk about the league folding got going. So Riley's team had people coming out. Heck, when I went to Alabama, I think Denny Stadium only held 40,000!