AAF may fold
Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: AAF may fold

AAF may fold

Sounds like an issue that should have been hammered out before the first game was ever played.

And based on the concerns in this article, I can't see it changing. IOW, this league looks like it's done for.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Re: AAF may fold

I thought the thing that differentiated AAF from all the others was that it had lined up its ducks and was well funded. The latter proved not true after week 2 and the former seems to never have been true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Called it.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Sounds like they should've been working with the NFLPA as a developmental league avenue for fringe roster/practice squad players and coordinating their launch AFTER a new CBA with the NFL would grant that freedom of movement to NFLPA members.

Seems like these guys didn't really have their ducks in a row as they were projecting.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Second Team

It seemed to me the whole purpose of the aaf was to beat xfl to market to ensure its failure. That why nfl execs seemed to be so complimentary. I am sure once aaf folds Bill Polien will get a really cushy high paying nfl gig.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

I was really hoping it would stick around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Probably physically in an airport somewhere, but in Tuscaloosa in spirit

First law of football leagues: the lifespan of a football league is inversely proportional to the strength of any Birmingham franchise in it.

First law of sports unions: anything that increases player development and competition for roster spots held by current dues-paying members will be opposed by the union under the guise of some other rationale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wakecrash View Post
    It seemed to me the whole purpose of the aaf was to beat xfl to market to ensure its failure. That why nfl execs seemed to be so complimentary. I am sure once aaf folds Bill Polien will get a really cushy high paying nfl gig.
    Yep. They rushed it to beat the XFL. I thought they had this lined up. But why would not having NFL practice-squad players cause the league to fold?

BamaNation First Team

I sure hate to see the new league go. It's been fun for football this time of year, and a treat to get to see all the former Alabama players out there again. Sure hope some of them looked good enough to get another chance in the NFL... which I thought from the original promotional material was a big part of the point of starting this league.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

At some point investors/owners are going to figure out that another professional football league is not going to work for many reasons.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    At some point investors/owners are going to figure out that another professional football league is not going to work for many reasons.
    If this doesn't work out, then Tom Dundon's $250MM investment into / takeover of the league becomes epic failure. I don't understand the math here and maybe there's something else he's valuing but wow.

BamaNation First Team

It is beyond me how at this point it could fail so quickly. The salary cap was set which means operating cost should be planned for well ahead of time. There is always a budget with the expectancy of a loss the first year or two. They must have a tv contract and the ratings were good for a minor league and outside investment looked good. I am not clear on the specifics of attendance but it should have been good based on locations. There is something really big missing in this equation and I can't figure it out. I honestly think this is a bluffing tactic by the AAF to get the NFLPA to play ball but I could be wrong.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal