AAF may fold

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I thought the thing that differentiated AAF from all the others was that it had lined up its ducks and was well funded. The latter proved not true after week 2 and the former seems to never have been true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sounds like they should've been working with the NFLPA as a developmental league avenue for fringe roster/practice squad players and coordinating their launch AFTER a new CBA with the NFL would grant that freedom of movement to NFLPA members.

Seems like these guys didn't really have their ducks in a row as they were projecting.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
It seemed to me the whole purpose of the aaf was to beat xfl to market to ensure its failure. That why nfl execs seemed to be so complimentary. I am sure once aaf folds Bill Polien will get a really cushy high paying nfl gig.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
First law of football leagues: the lifespan of a football league is inversely proportional to the strength of any Birmingham franchise in it.

First law of sports unions: anything that increases player development and competition for roster spots held by current dues-paying members will be opposed by the union under the guise of some other rationale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
It seemed to me the whole purpose of the aaf was to beat xfl to market to ensure its failure. That why nfl execs seemed to be so complimentary. I am sure once aaf folds Bill Polien will get a really cushy high paying nfl gig.
Yep. They rushed it to beat the XFL. I thought they had this lined up. But why would not having NFL practice-squad players cause the league to fold?

Bama63

1st Team
Oct 25, 2000
Louisville, KY, Jefferson
I sure hate to see the new league go. It's been fun for football this time of year, and a treat to get to see all the former Alabama players out there again. Sure hope some of them looked good enough to get another chance in the NFL... which I thought from the original promotional material was a big part of the point of starting this league.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
At some point investors/owners are going to figure out that another professional football league is not going to work for many reasons.
If this doesn't work out, then Tom Dundon's $250MM investment into / takeover of the league becomes epic failure. I don't understand the math here and maybe there's something else he's valuing but wow.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
It is beyond me how at this point it could fail so quickly. The salary cap was set which means operating cost should be planned for well ahead of time. There is always a budget with the expectancy of a loss the first year or two. They must have a tv contract and the ratings were good for a minor league and outside investment looked good. I am not clear on the specifics of attendance but it should have been good based on locations. There is something really big missing in this equation and I can't figure it out. I honestly think this is a bluffing tactic by the AAF to get the NFLPA to play ball but I could be wrong.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I haven’t watched a single minute since week 2. Just wasn’t interesting enough and I didn’t like most of the rule changes.

Also, so many people praised it for the quality of football on the field. I didn’t see that in the first 2 weeks. So many mistakes, so many amateur mishaps, it felt like high school football.

Plus, after a full season of Bama football, I honestly was ready for a break from hogging our weekends with football. So was my wife. Maybe it was just the way Bama’s year ended but, I have had my fill of football for now.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Man ... hating this has been playing out this way. I've actually been enjoying the season. Hoping they can figure out some way to make this work. Hate that they players are dealing with this, can tell they've been enjoying being able to play again.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I do not understand how a labor pool issue would shut down the AAF with two games left in the season? They have the teams and coaches to play out the season. It makes no sense at all to not finish this year.

Rtr

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I do not understand how a labor pool issue would shut down the AAF with two games left in the season? They have the teams and coaches to play out the season. It makes no sense at all to not finish this year.

Rtr
Basically Dundon is the money, and either he is trying to strong arm the NFL into committing or he was led to believe that Ebersol had the agreement with the NFLPA already and just now finding out. Basically if Dundon bails then its probably over then and there unless Vince or someone interested with money swoops into save the day. I think Ebersol should really beg Vince to buy him out at this point because I don't see the PA budging at all on these stipulations.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.