AAF may fold

Bama63

1st Team
Oct 25, 2000
Louisville, KY, Jefferson
It got a lot of interest here in Birmingham, but I doubt Atlanta or Orlando even knew it was going on. Trouble is, football is king here in Alabama, but those other places have lots of other things to capture their attention, like MLS, NBA, and MLB in the case of Atlanta.

Interest was strong in Birmingham. We had attendance. I don't know about other cities, but it could have done well here.
I heard the figure 30,000 in attendance for a San Antonio game, back before the talk about the league folding got going. So Riley's team had people coming out. Heck, when I went to Alabama, I think Denny Stadium only held 40,000!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I heard the figure 30,000 in attendance for a San Antonio game, back before the talk about the league folding got going. So Riley's team had people coming out. Heck, when I went to Alabama, I think Denny Stadium only held 40,000!
I lived in San Antonio for a year and I can tell you that city is crazy about wanting more pro teams. They really do try their best and put forth a great effort.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26434469/fanduel-pay-all-aaf-futures-bets-10k
Hard to imagine how they were going to cash in on gambling with these sort of numbers.

FanDuel paid out all futures bets as winners and paid less than $10,000. While I'm sure FanDuel just did it for the attention, that paltry amount of action demonstrates that while some sort of tech might have held value, the actual gambling on AAF didn't.

To give an example, FanDuel pulled a similar stunt by paying out Alabama as a winner last year. Only it cost them $400,000...

Last edited:

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26434469/fanduel-pay-all-aaf-futures-bets-10k
Hard to imagine how they were going to cash in on gambling with these sort of numbers.

FanDuel paid out all futures bets as winners and paid less than $10,000. While I'm sure FanDuel just did it for the attention, that paltry amount of action demonstrates that while some sort of tech might have held value, the actual gambling on AAF didn't.

To give an example, FanDuel pulled a similar stunt by paying out Alabama as a winner last year. Only it cost them $400,000...
I honestly thought it was a misprint when I saw the number.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
But the catch is you're able to do something else for that type money. My guess is a lot of these guys don't have skills or trade outside of football that is worth that type money.
If so that is a sad commentary on all that "educational value" most of these young men are getting out of their amateur status in NCAA football.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
There is a special place in Hell for Dundon.
I have refrained from making comments about this guy because I don't know the whole story, but there is no denying that to say he has done hundreds of people wrong with the way this was handled is a massive understatement. The hundreds and hundreds of people who were making a paycheck from the AAF were cut off without any warning and left high and dry without even a place to live or a way to travel? This Dundon fellow qualifies as one of the country's biggest scumbags, at least from what you read on line. And Ebersol and Polian qualify as being a hell of a lot more naive than you would think they'd be in the position they are (were) in.

rtr

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Lots of unpaid bills. Lots of angry people. What looked to me like a really solid league had a hell of a lot of issues behind the curtain.

rtr

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Lots of unpaid bills. Lots of angry people. What looked to me like a really solid league had a hell of a lot of issues behind the curtain.

rtr
Suspect that those who are able will bleed these owners out of some money through legal action.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If so that is a sad commentary on all that "educational value" most of these young men are getting out of their amateur status in NCAA football.
Not to derail the topic but unless someone gets a college degree in a sought after field. Most basic college degrees have become so watered down and common. Many times they don't bring the wages that even make it worth getting it. Many would be better off going to a trade school and learning a trade/skill that has long been established as a need in our society.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Do you not get the irony of making that statement after these guys prove unable to earn a living playing football? Better to get an education, along with room and board out of it than nothing eh?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Most of these players have degrees, but they still have to roll up their sleeves, get a job, and get to work. Just like everybody else.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Most of these players have degrees, but they still have to roll up their sleeves, get a job, and get to work. Just like everybody else.
While true, it is hard to walk away from your dreams, especially when you have worked so hard for so long to achieve them.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
There still a chance some my find a NFL team. Others will fade into the night. I would suggest coaching for some as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
There still a chance some my find a NFL team. Others will fade into the night. I would suggest coaching for some as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or officiating! We need a lot of help at the high school level and below all over the country.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.