Brexit...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Filched from a friend who's an expert:

AP London, England

After failing to pass the Brexit withdrawal plan for a third time - Parliament stunned pundits and reporters alike by scheduling a surprise series of indicative votes on alternatives to a European Union exit, which is scheduled to take place barring other resolution on April 12th.
The first motion, submitted by a Backbencher after the 72nd consecutive failed vote on any idea proposed this century, looked further back, and suggested nicely asking all former colonial possessiond to rejoin Great Britain in a renewed global-spanning world empire. Although MP's appeared skeptical, when Speaker "Hodor" Bercow confirmed the proposal as being 'significantly different' from all others that opened a series of histroical revisits and second chances.
For example, the Scottish National Party, the second largest party by numbers in parliament seemed in favor of returning to Anglo-Saxon domination in what's known as a Pre-Hastings Backstop. While a breakaway faction of conservatives proposed rejoining a restored Roman Pax Imperium under the leadership of an Emperor based in Italy, but only if Istanabul would come along for the ride as well.
A fourth group, consisting of heavily bearded older men wearing robes and carrying sickles adorned in mistletoe, submitted their proposal in the strange archaic writing of ogham. When translated it proposed a return to Celtic tribal governance, an extreme form of devolution to be sure, and relocating the entirety of Parliament to Stonehenge. Where, at least according to an early draft of the proposal, the entirety of the MP's would be summarily bundled into a Wicker Man and lit on fire timed with the annual rites of Beltaine.
:D

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So this happens this coming Friday, correct?

I sure hope trade deals are in place or the following Monday will be rough on the markets...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So this happens this coming Friday, correct?

I sure hope trade deals are in place or the following Monday will be rough on the markets...
There will be a transition period through the remainder of the year as they negotiate the many things that have to change, so it won't be as abrupt as it could have been. That assumes that the core deal is negotiated over the next few days.

The weird thing - the fishing rights in UK waters seems to be critical to the EU, even though they represent a tiny percentage of the total revenue impacted by Brexit. Seems to me that the EU is trying to stick it to the people who voted for Brexit since this was one of the key talking points that garnered the required votes.

I will laugh my ass off if the UK agrees to share those fishing rights with the EU after all of this.

• Haha
Reactions: crimsonaudio

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
So, are you guys in favor or against Brexit? Honestly, I don't follow world politics (can barley stomach US politics) enough to know what is good or bad about GB leaving the EU. On the surface, I applaud a country for exercising it's sovereign right to leave an institution that it no longer agrees with but, I don't know the particulars around the situation or if their motives are good/bad.

Was I suppose to be offended by that speech because nothing seemed bad but, again I don't know the details of what is going on? I thought it was funny how the lady jump all over the word hate at the end. The EU is not a person or country and I think he was talking about hating the institution not a single person or nation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, are you guys in favor or against Brexit? Honestly, I don't follow world politics enough to know what is good or bad about GB leaving the EU. On the surface, I applaud a country for exercising it's sovereign right to leave an institution that it no longer agrees with but, I don't know the particulars around the situation or if their motives are good/bad.

Was I suppose to be offended by that speech because nothing seemed bad but, again I don't know the details of what is going on? I thought it was funny how the lady jump all over the word hate at the end. The EU is not a person or country and I think he was talking about hating the institution not a single person or nation.
I just spent 3 days with a room full of Brits and they are not worried about it. It will cause the EU more hardship than they might expect, especially if the UK goes down the Singapore road.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So, are you guys in favor or against Brexit? Honestly, I don't follow world politics (can barley stomach US politics) enough to know what is good or bad about GB leaving the EU. On the surface, I applaud a country for exercising it's sovereign right to leave an institution that it no longer agrees with but, I don't know the particulars around the situation or if their motives are good/bad.

Based on what I know I'm all for it. The EU has become an albatross for many countries, exercising ever greater power over the supposed sovereign nations.

IMO the need to scrap it and start over.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well, I predicted the EU's end at the beginning. I didn't think monetary union without economic union would ever work and Greece came along and illustrated what I was talking about. Aside from that, the cultures were/are too disparate...
Then there is the minor issue of the various countries having spent much of their history trying to kill each other.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Money drives everything. Historical rivalries and cultural differences would be overlooked if not for the economic problems. The fact is that a few countries (Great Britain, Germany and France) are supporting a lot of abysmally irresponsible policies (or, in the case of GB, were supporting those policies).

Greece and a number of former Soviet satellites are great examples. Italy, with its 20th? 30th? 50th? government since WWII isn’t so fiscally sound, either.

So the real conundrum comes when you ask, “Why should a German (or British or French) industrial worker work his or her hindquarters off so that a Greek (or Polish, or Italian, or Spanish or Portugese) plumber can sit on his hindquarters, starting at age 55?”

If anybody can come up with a logical reason for that, you’ll resolve the EU problem. So far, nobody has. And not surprisingly, the British didn’t take so kindly to being used like toilet paper.

The Brits contributed a ton more to the EU than they got in return. Now, that difference will fall to a smaller number of productive countries — because if there’s one truth left in this world, the net receivers of funds will not change their policies.

I will not be at all surprised to see the Germans leave soon. French culture is strange, and I could see that one going either way — all in for the EU (financial consequences be damned), or give the EU the middle finger? I don’t know.

I do know this: The Brits never swapped the British Pound for the Euro. A brilliant move at the outset. Who wants to have their currency tied to the economic performance of Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain (PIGS for a reason)?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I have been wondering why Germany has supported the EU for the last few years. I am not well educated in European politics but I think they have borne the brunt of the failing countries debt in the EU.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have been wondering why Germany has supported the EU for the last few years. I am not well educated in European politics but I think they have borne the brunt of the failing countries debt in the EU.
They have been in overreaction to their role in Nazi Germany for decades...

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Money drives everything. Historical rivalries and cultural differences would be overlooked if not for the economic problems. The fact is that a few countries (Great Britain, Germany and France) are supporting a lot of abysmally irresponsible policies (or, in the case of GB, were supporting those policies).

Greece and a number of former Soviet satellites are great examples. Italy, with its 20th? 30th? 50th? government since WWII isn’t so fiscally sound, either.

So the real conundrum comes when you ask, “Why should a German (or British or French) industrial worker work his or her hindquarters off so that a Greek (or Polish, or Italian, or Spanish or Portugese) plumber can sit on his hindquarters, starting at age 55?”

If anybody can come up with a logical reason for that, you’ll resolve the EU problem. So far, nobody has. And not surprisingly, the British didn’t take so kindly to being used like toilet paper.

The Brits contributed a ton more to the EU than they got in return. Now, that difference will fall to a smaller number of productive countries — because if there’s one truth left in this world, the net receivers of funds will not change their policies.

I will not be at all surprised to see the Germans leave soon. French culture is strange, and I could see that one going either way — all in for the EU (financial consequences be damned), or give the EU the middle finger? I don’t know.

I do know this: The Brits never swapped the British Pound for the Euro. A brilliant move at the outset. Who wants to have their currency tied to the economic performance of Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain (PIGS for a reason)?
I've been told that Greek workers think they don't have to work...after all they gave the world Aristotle and Socrates. They can just sit around and think...and get paid. Germany and Britain need trading partners...but Britain just got tired of paying others to buy their goods. If Germany does that then watch out...the EU will fold and world economy will suffer in the short term.

Reactions: Islander

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.