Best & Worst States for Retirement

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-states-for-retirement-212045654.html

These lists are always dubious based on what they use in the rankings (like college rankings, too), but it's fun to see what they come up with.

"Florida is the best state for retirees, unsurprisingly, while Kentucky is the worst, according to a study by WalletHub."

"States like Arkansas, Wyoming, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Alabama have the lowest cost of living, but the latter three also have the lowest life expectancies."

They make that statement as if moving to these low-cost of living states for retirement causes one to live a shorter life. Spurious causation claim. I would agree if you moved to some random rural area where the nearest good hospital is 3 hours away. That's probably true for many states where the population isn't nested in huge metro centers.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-states-for-retirement-212045654.html

These lists are always dubious based on what they use in the rankings (like college rankings, too), but it's fun to see what they come up with.

"Florida is the best state for retirees, unsurprisingly, while Kentucky is the worst, according to a study by WalletHub."

"States like Arkansas, Wyoming, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Alabama have the lowest cost of living, but the latter three also have the lowest life expectancies."

They make that statement as if moving to these low-cost of living states for retirement causes one to live a shorter life. Spurious causation claim. I would agree if you moved to some random rural area where the nearest good hospital is 3 hours away. That's probably true for many states where the population isn't nested in huge metro centers.
I've noticed the same fallacy, and not just here. As for the medical issue, a friend posted a pic of her and another HS friend visiting another friend at her palatial home in rural Mexico. These ladies are in their 70s. My first thought was to wonder what happens with the first medical emergency. As for confusing correlation and causation, another FB friend linked a Dutch study which has been popping up all over, finding a causation relationship between adolescent/young adults us of high grade marijuana and psychosis. Nowhere in the study did they even address as an aside the fact that that is exactly the age range when youngsters develop psychosis, even if they don't use marijuana. Faulty logic; faulty study...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I've only been in Ponte Vedra Beach for about six months, but I love it. Compared with the rest of Florida, it's expensive. But, it's much less so than Northern Virginia and has better public schools, far less traffic, much better weather, no state income taxes, walking distance to the beach and TPC Sawgrass. I can't wait to retire and enjoy everything full time. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.