Omnibus Thread on SEC Teams...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The only reason I’m not for the Barners is because they’re Barners. The team is fun to watch.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Also take into account that it took Pearl 5 years to get past the round of 32 with Auburn. And he was owned by Anthony Grant his first few years. So it wasn’t always looked at as a for sure thing that Auburn would turn into a deep playoff team
Think that was a pretty big indication of how much of a rebuild Auburn was. We were arguably the worst team in the conference coming off the Barbee years, with a roster you wouldn’t be remiss to ascribe to a JUCO. When Bruce came in, he basically had KT Harrell and no one else. He did a good job filling some of the gaps with JUCO and GT guys like Canty and Cinmeon Bowers, but we were in no position to compete, even with the conference was as poor as it was back then.

Then in 2015 is when he started building what we have now. Swingman Danjel Purifoy and PF Horace Spencer, lightly recruited 4*s, and SG Bryce Brown, a 3* who had 0 P5 offers before Bruce found him.

2016 brought 4* C Austin Wiley - a top 10 prospect - lightly recruited 4* PG Jared Harper, another 3* with 0 P5 offers in Anfernee McLemore and the only 5* we’ve ever signed in SF Mu Heron.

2017 brought 3* JUCO swingman Malik Dunbar and 4* stretch PF Chuma Okeke.

Last year brought PG J’Von McCormick, a guy so lightly recruited he didn’t even has a 247 profile.

Injury derailed what would probably have been a Sweet 16 run last year, short handed as we were with Anfernee going down, Bryce hurt and two presumptive starters suspended. This year we’ve put it all together, and I believe we exceeded our ceiling, which I considered the Elite 8, even going into the tournament.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Was discussed some on the radio yesterday. After his third year at Auburn, Bruce was 44-54 (16-38 in SEC play). The jump from year three to year four really didn't make much sense when looking at the previous years. Amazingly, Bruce is still 10 games under .500 in SEC play.
If we're being honest and not looking at things through crimson colored glasses, Pearl inherited a bigger dumpster fire than CAJ did. It has been obvious that he was building the talent level up year by year. I discussed this with a buddy of mine (Bama fan) that what was really scary about this Auburn team is that they were without their best player, Mustafa Heron, who transferred to Connecticut. They also lost their backup PG who had been highly recruited but the kid that got to replace him has been very good at the end of the season so that wasn't as big of a loss. Not only did they not have Heron this season but Purefoy took most of the season to shake the rust off and Wiley has battled injuries and also was a bit of rusty himself.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
How likely do y'all think it is that Auburn beats UVA? How likely is it that Auburn wins it all?
I think the BPI index, which favor UVA 70/30, is probably about right. A lot has to go right for us to reach the final. Taking them out of their comfort zone is possible, but you have to hit your shots early and often. The only real way to force them to speed it up is to make them chase you.

To be honest, I’m terrified of UVA. They beat UNC in Chapel Hill. They’re good. They force you to play their game and they do it so well that only one of their games in the last three years has 65+ possessions when playing power conference opposition. They defend well against slashing guards, and double any time the ball finds its way into the post, forcing a kick to a lower percentage jumper. The “pack line” does have a weakness though. They generally willingly surrender the perimeter. We love to drive, kick, and shoot the three too, so that bodes well for us if Harper can beat his man off the dribble, and finds one of our many capable three point shooters. Don’t expect much in transition, a big part of our game, since they drop two after every shot, basically giving up the offensive board to prevent what we do best.

In in a nutshell, if we shoot well from outside, especially early and force them to chase a double digit deficit, we’re in good shape. If not, we’re in for a boring slog where they likely beat us by a narrow margin.

I like any potential final matchup better than this one. If we get by UVA, I give us a 50/50 chance to win it all.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If we're being honest and not looking at things through crimson colored glasses, Pearl inherited a bigger dumpster fire than CAJ did. It has been obvious that he was building the talent level up year by year. I discussed this with a buddy of mine (Bama fan) that what was really scary about this Auburn team is that they were without their best player, Mustafa Heron, who transferred to Connecticut. They also lost their backup PG who had been highly recruited but the kid that got to replace him has been very good at the end of the season so that wasn't as big of a loss. Not only did they not have Heron this season but Purefoy took most of the season to shake the rust off and Wiley has battled injuries and also was a bit of rusty himself.
Since the thread has become a discussion of Auburn B-ball...I'd like to ask what y'all think about the state of their program. I saw the SEC shorts video and, while it's funny, it also made me ask the question, "Is Auburn really becoming what they've never been: a SEC power in basketball that will now be able to 'reload'?" Or, "Will they drift back to the normal self in the next year or two?"

I saw what I think was a "homer tweet" last night claiming that the program is now so solid they can reload and should be at worst, a tourney team each year. I'd agree that should be a tourney team every year (like I think we should) but the implication was they are suddenly an elite team that can rival blue bloods on a regular basis.

I'll be the first to say they've had a very special year as it's shaping up, but I've been under the impression the Barn has kinda caught "lightning in a bottle" in the last month. That's OK because that's really what you hope your team does late in the season.

But to suddenly declare the program is now elite and on par with programs who are upper echelon seems to be a homer take. I mean, about 6-8 weeks ago we had a better SEC record than Auburn and both were about the middle of the pack in the regular season SEC race. And remember we led them by double digets in our last game in the second half.

So what do you guys think??? I don't know their roster enough to even know who they'll lose to graduation or the league. I have a feeling their guard play has pretty much lifted them to this level and much of that has been a hot streak of 3 point shooting. I even wonder if they brought back the same team next year if they could duplicate this same success. Yes, I believe Pearl has built them into a really good team, but I have my doubts about this years success becoming the norm at the Barn in B-ball.

Despite my doubts about the future, I still give them a really good shot this weekend.

But what do y'all think about the direction of their program?

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Looking at AUDub's information it looks like Brown is a senior and perhaps Spencer (assuming he did not redshirt) so they are the only players off this years team that definitely will not be back next year. Until he was injured I assumed Okeke would be declaring for the draft but now I expect him to come back next season. Wiley probably needs another year of college although it would not surprise if he leaves early. Same for Purifoy. Harper is a great college player but doubtful that he makes it in the NBA although I could be wrong. Regardless I expect him back next year as well. McCormick should be back. So if they hang on to Wiley, Purifoy, Okeke, and Harper then they have a very good team next year. I assume they have a good recruiting class coming in so Auburn should be in good shape for next year and would have to be considered a top 10-15 type of team heading into the season. If Wiley plays up to his potential that would be huge. Like him or not Pearl is an outstanding coach.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Since the thread has become a discussion of Auburn B-ball...I'd like to ask what y'all think about the state of their program. I saw the SEC shorts video and, while it's funny, it also made me ask the question, "Is Auburn really becoming what they've never been: a SEC power in basketball that will now be able to 'reload'?" Or, "Will they drift back to the normal self in the next year or two?"

I saw what I think was a "homer tweet" last night claiming that the program is now so solid they can reload and should be at worst, a tourney team each year. I'd agree that should be a tourney team every year (like I think we should) but the implication was they are suddenly an elite team that can rival blue bloods on a regular basis.

I'll be the first to say they've had a very special year as it's shaping up, but I've been under the impression the Barn has kinda caught "lightning in a bottle" in the last month. That's OK because that's really what you hope your team does late in the season.

But to suddenly declare the program is now elite and on par with programs who are upper echelon seems to be a homer take. I mean, about 6-8 weeks ago we had a better SEC record than Auburn and both were about the middle of the pack in the regular season SEC race. And remember we led them by double digets in our last game in the second half.

So what do you guys think??? I don't know their roster enough to even know who they'll lose to graduation or the league. I have a feeling their guard play has pretty much lifted them to this level and much of that has been a hot streak of 3 point shooting. I even wonder if they brought back the same team next year if they could duplicate this same success. Yes, I believe Pearl has built them into a really good team, but I have my doubts about this years success becoming the norm at the Barn in B-ball.

Despite my doubts about the future, I still give them a really good shot this weekend.

But what do y'all think about the direction of their program?
On February 13, they were 16-8 (5-6). Fans on Montgomery sports radio talked with doubt and questioned if the team was going to the NCAAT or NIT. They got hot and went 6-1 to end the regular season. Is that because a couple of guys got hot or that it finally clicked? Hard to know.

They lose Brown, Spencer, and Dunbar this year. Jamal Johnson should help after sitting out this year.

Bruce has clearly elevate the program, but I'm not sure they are to the point of "reloading." Heard Fran Fraschilla this morning credit Auburn's veterans as being one reason they are where they are.

Bryce Brown (SR) - 130 games
Horace Spencer (SR) - 123 games
Malik Dunbar (SR) - 72 games (59 games in JUCO)
Jared Harper (JR) - 105 games
Anfernee McLemore (JR) - 98 games
Samir Doughty (JR) - 74 games (VCU & Auburn)
J'Von McCormick (JR) - 38 games (59 games in JUCO)
Chuma Okeke (SO) - 72 games

Then, there are Juniors Wiley (51 games) and Purifoy (56 games) that have been around awhile to contribute.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Seniors are Spencer, Brown and Dunbar. Harper may have played himself into the draft and Okeke is the great unknown right now. Wiley would do well to come back. Purifoy has already said he plans to return.

The class coming in this year is very good.

High 4* Small Forward Isaac Okoro
4* Combo Guard Turbo Jones
4* Stretch Power Forward Jaylin Williams
3 * Center Stretch Akingbola (who is now closer to 6’10 than the 6’8 listed on his profile)
3* SF Allen Flanigan
Then Jamal at Shooting Guard, who was a 3* coming out.

And I guarantee to you we’ll find a scholarship for 5* Point Guard Sharife Cooper if he reclassifies. We’re favored if he decides to stay for his senior year. Things get a bit hazy if he decides to come on out though.

We’re not quite at reloading mode yet, but we’re getting close. I expect us to dance again next year with the Sweet 16 as our ceiling.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Seniors are Spencer, Brown and Dunbar. Harper may have played himself into the draft and Okeke is the great unknown right now. Wiley would do well to come back. Purifoy has already said he plans to return.

The class coming in this year is very good.

High 4* Small Forward Isaac Okoro
4* Combo Guard Turbo Jones
4* Stretch Power Forward Jaylin Williams
3 * Center Stretch Akingbola (who is now closer to 6’10 than the 6’8 listed on his profile)
3* SF Allen Flanigan
Then Jamal at Shooting Guard, who was a 3* coming out.

And I guarantee to you we’ll find a scholarship for 5* Point Guard Sharife Cooper if he reclassifies. We’re favored if he decides to stay for his senior year. Things get a bit hazy if he decides to come on out though.

We’re not quite at reloading mode yet, but we’re getting close. I expect us to dance again next year with the Sweet 16 as our ceiling.
Dub, that's a much more realistic take on Barn B-ball. What little I know, I'd say I agree.

And, I think RTR91 hits the nail on the head by pointing out this team is made up of veteran players who have played together alot. I think what we saw in their last several games is a team that gelled and started playing like a team. Again, exactly what you want late in the year.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
For all I have said against Auburn, you have to respect what they’ve accomplished. After beating UT in the SEC Tournament, they have eliminated the three winningest team in college basketball history. Tall order that one.

This team is absolutely capable of beating any of the remaining teams. As long as 3’s fall, AU is in the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.