What About Those Auburn Tigers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: What About Those Auburn Tigers?

After Auburn punched their ticket to the FF, I had a person in Texas ask me, "Is Auburn in Georgia?" I told them, "That's what most folks think."

Auburn fans are now upset the AP didn't include a single player on the All-American team. It's like they don't realize how things work.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

SNASS
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    The real issue was that we didn’t have the best AD when we really needed it. Bill battle maybe one of worst ADs we have had when it was for a sport other than football. He had 3 bad hires that has made us regress in major sports. Byrne has made two really good hires that may take some time to negate those Battle hires.

Also take into account that it took Pearl 5 years to get past the round of 32 with Auburn. And he was owned by Anthony Grant his first few years. So it wasn’t always looked at as a for sure thing that Auburn would turn into a deep playoff team
    And don’t forget, Moore handed the basketball hiring to Dave Hart, and we got CAG out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The real issue was that we didn’t have the best AD when we really needed it. Bill battle maybe one of worst ADs we have had when it was for a sport other than football. He had 3 bad hires that has made us regress in major sports. Byrne has made two really good hires that may take some time to negate those Battle hires.

Also take into account that it took Pearl 5 years to get past the round of 32 with Auburn. And he was owned by Anthony Grant his first few years. So it wasn’t always looked at as a for sure thing that Auburn would turn into a deep playoff team
    Was discussed some on the radio yesterday. After his third year at Auburn, Bruce was 44-54 (16-38 in SEC play). The jump from year three to year four really didn't make much sense when looking at the previous years. Amazingly, Bruce is still 10 games under .500 in SEC play.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-SEC

a very impressive team. Very impressive.

rtr

BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar

Still waiting for them to lose in the tourney.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

The only reason I’m not for the Barners is because they’re Barners. The team is fun to watch.
    Last edited by Go Bama; April 2nd, 2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Auburn fans are now upset the AP didn't include a single player on the All-American team. It's like they don't realize how things work.
    I don't mind too much because it's good motivation for the kids and I think this team is more than the sum of its parts anyway. I do think Jared and Bryce should have at least been HM's though.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

Think that was a pretty big indication of how much of a rebuild Auburn was. We were arguably the worst team in the conference coming off the Barbee years, with a roster you wouldn’t be remiss to ascribe to a JUCO. When Bruce came in, he basically had KT Harrell and no one else. He did a good job filling some of the gaps with JUCO and GT guys like Canty and Cinmeon Bowers, but we were in no position to compete, even with the conference was as poor as it was back then.

Then in 2015 is when he started building what we have now. Swingman Danjel Purifoy and PF Horace Spencer, lightly recruited 4*s, and SG Bryce Brown, a 3* who had 0 P5 offers before Bruce found him.

2016 brought 4* C Austin Wiley - a top 10 prospect - lightly recruited 4* PG Jared Harper, another 3* with 0 P5 offers in Anfernee McLemore and the only 5* we’ve ever signed in SF Mu Heron.

2017 brought 3* JUCO swingman Malik Dunbar and 4* stretch PF Chuma Okeke.

Last year brought PG J’Von McCormick, a guy so lightly recruited he didn’t even has a 247 profile.

Injury derailed what would probably have been a Sweet 16 run last year, short handed as we were with Anfernee going down, Bryce hurt and two presumptive starters suspended. This year we’ve put it all together, and I believe we exceeded our ceiling, which I considered the Elite 8, even going into the tournament.
    Last edited by AUDub; April 2nd, 2019 at 06:07 PM.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

BamaNation All-American Probius's Avatar

How likely do y'all think it is that Auburn beats UVA? How likely is it that Auburn wins it all?
    “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.” - The Buddha

Formerly Crimson Flyboy.

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Well, I quit watching it when Auburn started doing well. I suggest Auburn fans try that with football.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Probius View Post
    How likely do y'all think it is that Auburn beats UVA? How likely is it that Auburn wins it all?