Final Four discussion thread

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The problem just isn't because it is Awbrens. The bigger problem is Coach Murray Goldberg. None, repeat, none of my friends, around the country, not a single one of which has UA ties, none of them can stand Bruce Pearl. To a man, they all despise him, and feel he is bad for the game.

Put them together, and 2 times 2 suddenly becomes a googolplex.
As I told my soon to be Auburn graduate daughter “I’m happy for the players. If this team was coached by just about anyone else but Pearl, I would probably pull for them. But I can’t. The guy is a weasel going all the way back to his Iowa assistant days.”

My daughter said “I understand. I’ve seen him around campus and truthfully, he gives me the creeps.”

As Deon Thomas’ grandmother told him the first time she met Pearl “a person needs to be who they are. He certainly isn’t who he wants you to believe he is.”

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
After watching how auburn handled three top shelf blue bloods in a row, I don’t think any team left in the field can beat them if they play to their potential.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm pulling for Auburn in the Final Four. I've got a lot of Auburn fans in my family and they are SEC after all. I think Texas Tech is the team to beat, though. I think Texas Tech will win it all.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Dub is a fine poster, but in general the more time you spend around Auburn fans having success, the more you wish to see them lose. They feel the same about us. Plus, I was born in Virginia, so go 'hoos !

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Dub is a fine poster, but in general the more time you spend around Auburn fans having success, the more you wish to see them lose. They feel the same about us. Plus, I was born in Virginia, so go 'hoos !
Yep pretty much - The Ostrich sums it up:

The Ostrich
@ALostrich
·
Mar 31
Auburn basketball fans are like pollen. I didn’t see any a month ago but now they’re everywhere and it’s giving me a headache.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I understand the emotions that result in how one feels about a rival's performance in a particular sport.

The thing is - it's a free country. So root for whoever you want - or not.

It's your call.

With few exceptions - I will always pull for the SEC over any other conference.

But I think we should also acknowledge something - something specific to our forum community. We have AUDub, who as a rival member has been a fantastic contributor. Not only because of his immense passion for the sport(s) we discuss here - but also because he's a high quality person.

That's worth a lot in my book.

Hey....it just means more........:wink:

You're correct my friend.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Can I pull for Oats’ mentor to beat the barn in the finals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I have respect for the run Auburn is on. I will give them that. I will NOT pull for them. Not saying I will necessarily pull against them, but I dang sure ain't pulling for them. That's what makes a rivalry, isn't it?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have respect for the run Auburn is on. I will give them that. I will NOT pull for them. Not saying I will necessarily pull against them, but I dang sure ain't pulling for them. That's what makes a rivalry, isn't it?
Kinda feel the same. If you put a different jersey on them and hid their coach they'd be my favorite team in the tourney this year. Love the style and how they are getting it done.

Just don't like "who's" getting it done.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm pulling for Auburn and I don't care what Aaron Suttles thinks about rivalries and passionate fans.

Let me explain. To me, the focal point of the hate between Alabama and Auburn is the sport of football. Beyond that, going outward to other sports, it dissipates. But I have also not ever viewed Auburn as the root of all evil. When they played Florida State for the NC in football, I unabashedly pulled for them because of Jamies Winston. When it comes to basketball, I'm going to pull for you 99 times out of 100 if you are playing Kentucky or Duke. And I have no fondness for UNC or Kansas either.

Finally, I do have plenty of friends and family who are Auburn fans. This is not like say, Tennessee, whose fans are mostly anonymous to me. I know these people. They've cheered for me during my successes, and grieved with me during times of pain. As far as sports joy, we've enjoyed much much more than them over the past decade. So I'll cheer them on to finish this run they are on. No, I do not like Bruce Pearl. I don't think he's the worst college basketball has to offer, though.

And in the end, I do have an ulterior motive. I'm hoping their success in basketball makes people at Alabama sit up and take notice and start treating the sport with the respect it deserves.

Don't ever expect me to utter those vile words beginning with a W and an E though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ve pulled for Auburn vs Kentucky and Kansas, but honestly I don’t have strong opinions either way if they win or don’t win the finals.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm pulling for Auburn and I don't care what Aaron Suttles thinks about rivalries and passionate fans.

Let me explain. To me, the focal point of the hate between Alabama and Auburn is the sport of football. Beyond that, going outward to other sports, it dissipates. But I have also not ever viewed Auburn as the root of all evil. When they played Florida State for the NC in football, I unabashedly pulled for them because of Jamies Winston. When it comes to basketball, I'm going to pull for you 99 times out of 100 if you are playing Kentucky or Duke. And I have no fondness for UNC or Kansas either.

Finally, I do have plenty of friends and family who are Auburn fans. This is not like say, Tennessee, whose fans are mostly anonymous to me. I know these people. They've cheered for me during my successes, and grieved with me during times of pain. As far as sports joy, we've enjoyed much much more than them over the past decade. So I'll cheer them on to finish this run they are on. No, I do not like Bruce Pearl. I don't think he's the worst college basketball has to offer, though.

And in the end, I do have an ulterior motive. I'm hoping their success in basketball makes people at Alabama sit up and take notice and start treating the sport with the respect it deserves.

Don't ever expect me to utter those vile words beginning with a W and an E though.
It's the Auburn fans who will try to "rub it in Bama's face" that will make it hard to pull for them. We all know who these people are. They can't enjoy the win without saying something negative about Bama. It's those who have the "little brother" syndrome who will say, "See, we're better" and they'll even claim they are "morally superior" because they are "family" etc. etc. etc.

When we've won everyone of our NC in football in the last decade, I've just rejoiced in the success and left all the other fan bases (including Auburn) out of it. But remember how bad they were in 2010 when the stole the NC? Yeah, that's what I fear some of them will do in basketball.

I'm afraid some of them will use it to deepen the divide that already exists in the rivalry.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I must admit that I have enjoyed to my AU friends and family about this run to the final four. I think making a sweet 16 run is pretty cool, but this has an entirely different feel. I am also hoping that their success causes us to really make the effort to return to previous levels of success that we have enjoyed. I don't know if I will actually find myself pulling for AU during the game, but I'm not openly against them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I must admit that I have enjoyed to my AU friends and family about this run to the final four. I think making a sweet 16 run is pretty cool, but this has an entirely different feel. I am also hoping that their success causes us to really make the effort to return to previous levels of success that we have enjoyed. I don't know if I will actually find myself pulling for AU during the game, but I'm not openly against them.
I'll admit that I hope this will light a fire under some of our PTBs that basketball, in the end, really is important, after all...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Regardless of the sport, I hardly ever pull for auburn - those rare occurrences are when an auburn win directly helps/benefits Bama. Unfortunately, auburn never ceases to let me down in those scenarios, and usually loses. They're just an all-around disappointment to me. :biggrin2:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'll admit that I hope this will light a fire under some of our PTBs that basketball, in the end, really is important, after all...
I would imagine Oats is using this for motivation. If they can do it, we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.