2019 Coaching Hot Seat Rankings - Early Spring Look

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Of the SEC coaches, I would agree that the Gus Bus is the most likely to break down, followed by Muschamp.

Chad Morris had a pretty good class in February, so only another 2-10 season would put him on the hot seat.

Matt Luke is in no danger, unless he has a Hootie Nutt-esque 2-10. New coordinators have given him more of a leash. I still think he is a placeholder. Nothing about his resume says that he has SEC coaching ability.

I doubt any of the other 8 are in serious danger.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
As an employee of a state institution, I can attest to the fact that there are plenty of people walking around with lifetime contracts, as there are at any other college or university in the country. It's called tenure. And there are plenty of faculty that retire in situ, collecting a full salary until they die at their desks.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I could write a book on this, but to put it in simple terms, I don't understand how a state institution can give a multiple year contract to anybody for any reason.
Legislators have to stand for reelection every two or four years, so how can they commit legislators that come after them to anything?
I am an elected member of our city council. I will stand for reelection in 2020. How can I support a contract that extends beyond my term of office? And how would I feel if the councilman who preceded me issued a contract that extended into my term? I would not be very happy.
People leave positions of leadership all the time for a plethora of reasons. Good leaders make decisions based on the best available information. That often involved multi year plans and contracts that they cannot be certain they will be around to see come to fruition. This could involve planning and building an addition to meet a new or growing need or securing the services of a valued employee. Good leaders consider the long term goals of the organization, whether public or private. You commit the organization to fulfilling its mission, whatever that is.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have never been a fan of lifetime contracts. Even if you have one of the GOATs it can turn out no-so-good (Bowden and Paterno for example). I would much rather have the option to not renew or not extend. No one is unreplaceable for everyone gets replaced sooner or later.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I could write a book on this, but to put it in simple terms, I don't understand how a state institution can give a multiple year contract to anybody for any reason.
Legislators have to stand for reelection every two or four years, so how can they commit legislators that come after them to anything?
I am an elected member of our city council. I will stand for reelection in 2020. How can I support a contract that extends beyond my term of office? And how would I feel if the councilman who preceded me issued a contract that extended into my term? I would not be very happy.
If you offer me a one year contract and another city offers me one for five years, I know which one I am picking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Of the SEC coaches, I would agree that the Gus Bus is the most likely to break down, followed by Muschamp.

Chad Morris had a pretty good class in February, so only another 2-10 season would put him on the hot seat.

Matt Luke is in no danger, unless he has a Hootie Nutt-esque 2-10. New coordinators have given him more of a leash. I still think he is a placeholder. Nothing about his resume says that he has SEC coaching ability.

I doubt any of the other 8 are in serious danger.
I agree but I wonder about S Carolina and their desire to spend enough to rival Florida and Georgia. I didn't understand why they chose Muschamp in the first place. I think if he can go to a bowl each year they will be content.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
USCe will be content with any 9 or 9+ win seasons, a bowl game every year, with an occasional win over UGA and UF. At this point I am not sure if Muschamp can produce enough 9 win seasons to hang on beyond this coming season. I also agree that Luke is the Ole Miss version of Mike Shula, a body to fill the HC position, keep them out of further trouble, and be bounced at some point in the next 2-3 years. I am not sold on Morris as the solution at Arkansas, 2 more years unless he has a break out season.

As for Malzahn, if he doesn't beat LSU, TAMU, Alabama and UGA again this year he is gone at 8-4 or 7-5. Every other HC is probably safe at this point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.