Jalen Hurts confident in Oklahoma move

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Jalen will rack up video-game numbers at OU.

Part of that is because he's improved. More is because neither OU nor anybody else in the Big 12 play defense.

Jalen has always torn up defenses that are average or worse. His issue has been the lack of ability to make good defenses respect the pass. So against a D that is already stout, he becomes one-dimensional, and it's death.

Fortunately for him, his own team's lack of defense will put him on the field needing to score a lot. More fortunately for him, no defenses in the Big 12 have seen anything like Jalen. Get prepared for it...he's going to be in New York for the Heisman presentation.

None of that means he's suddenly gotten elite. It means he's playing in the right system, for the right team, in the right conference.

We would shut him down.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Jalen will rack up video-game numbers at OU.

Part of that is because he's improved. More is because neither OU nor anybody else in the Big 12 play defense.

Jalen has always torn up defenses that are average or worse. His issue has been the lack of ability to make good defenses respect the pass. So against a D that is already stout, he becomes one-dimensional, and it's death.

Fortunately for him, his own team's lack of defense will put him on the field needing to score a lot. More fortunately for him, no defenses in the Big 12 have seen anything like Jalen. Get prepared for it...he's going to be in New York for the Heisman presentation.

None of that means he's suddenly gotten elite. It means he's playing in the right system, for the right team, in the right conference.

We would shut him down.
No offense to Jalen but they just faced a much better passer and runner in Murray.

If Jalen is OU's starter (and I assume he will be) I think Texas, TCU, and Iowa St all have excellent chances to beat OU by making them 1-dimensional.

I don't think he will be in NY at all.... but if he is I'll admit I was wrong and congratulate him.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
There are 2 questions that won't be answered until the fall: how does the new OL ( 4 new starters ) perform & is there marked improvement on D? Hurts is surrounded by an incredible array of offensive talent and will be schemed by a true offensive savant who knows how to exploit the talent he has to work with. If the 2 questions are answered positively, we will be in the playoff; if not, we will struggle to win our 5th straight conference title.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There are 2 questions that won't be answered until the fall: how does the new OL ( 4 new starters ) perform & is there marked improvement on D? Hurts is surrounded by an incredible array of offensive talent and will be schemed by a true offensive savant who knows how to exploit the talent he has to work with. If the 2 questions are answered positively, we will be in the playoff; if not, we will struggle to win our 5th straight conference title.
I think this is your biggest concern. I think Jalen has improved his pocket presence significantly, but he has always gotten real happy feet and bailed to run, usually to his right when the pocket starts to collapse.

There's some evidence he's starting to overcome that, but if your OL can't protect consistently, my concern if I'm an OU fan is he'll revert back to his "tuck and run" tendency.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I think this is your biggest concern. I think Jalen has improved his pocket presence significantly, but he has always gotten real happy feet and bailed to run, usually to his right when the pocket starts to collapse.

There's some evidence he's starting to overcome that, but if your OL can't protect consistently, my concern if I'm an OU fan is he'll revert back to his "tuck and run" tendency.
My observation as I watched him in the spring game was that he did leave the pocket too soon. Now, he only had 2 of the 5 projected O-line starters on his team. 2 were assigned to the Mordecai led team and one, the only returning starter, Center Creed Humphrey, had minor surgery and missed spring camp. One of the best things both Mayfield and Murray did was hang in there and find passing lanes and go through their progressions. We shall see how well Hurts does in these areas.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My observation as I watched him in the spring game was that he did leave the pocket too soon. Now, he only had 2 of the 5 projected O-line starters on his team. 2 were assigned to the Mordecai led team and one, the only returning starter, Center Creed Humphrey, had minor surgery and missed spring camp. One of the best things both Mayfield and Murray did was hang in there and find passing lanes and go through their progressions. We shall see how well Hurts does in these areas.
FWIW, even if he does this, you'll beat most teams you play. Jalen will have video game type stats at times too. But as you know, it's not beating most teams that is the issue, it's beating one or two that's equal or better that matters most. That was JH's Achilles heel at Alabama. Struggled against the best defenses.

I can't speak for our entire fan base, but I think we'd feel very confident about facing JH in the CFP. If anybody would understand how to scheme against him it would be CNS.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.