Vietnam Veteran's Day - March 27, 2019

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Missed it last week but still going to post something out of respect. I know we have some vets here and welcome any contributions they may have in the thread, if they want.

Ran across this remarkable story of a U.S. Army Mohawk pilot named Ken Lee.

The Grumman OV-1 Mohawk was developed for use as a battlefield surveillance, reconnaissance, and light strike aircraft beginning in 1956. The aircraft was first flown in 1959 and entered service with the US Army in 1960. Tangling with North Vietnamese MiGs was probably the last thing the designers ever thought the Mohawk be required to do, but tangle with a MiG one did, and this is the story.
https://www.avgeekery.com/avgeekery-exclusive-mig-killing-army-ov-1-mohawk-pilot-ken-lee/

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks, Bazz. I honestly have never heard of the OV-1 Mohawk, I guess not as sexy as the fighters. I salute all Tidefans who served during the Vietnam Era especially those who were in country.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
This is one of the times of year I pay my respects to my late father-in-law, who fought for his country's freedom against invasion by the communists and paid the price of 12 years in a re-education camp.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I didn’t realize there was a Vietnam Veterans Day.

My FiL was a Vietnam and Korean War vet. He was a marine and a very good man. He was also a gunnery sergeant on Paris Island. He did not like Full Metal Jacket at all. He had a Purple Heart.

Salute.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.