TideFans.com
Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I don't ever remember leaving early from a game and I went to every home game over 5 years - even when they were in Legion Field and 95% of them were also mid-day games when it was 142 degrees on the field b/c of the artificial turf. We typically got there 3 hours early so we could get good seats, so, my brain can't even get wrapped around students leaving early.

I really wish they would put students' tickets back into the pool for the next game (if they leave early) for students to re-buy and have no refunds. A bit harsh but, hey, you're at Alabama and should know better.

/grumpy middle-aged old guy rant :D

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If they are going to scan students as they leave to know how long one stays at the game, won't be too hard to stay until the fourth quarter by just standing in the line to get out of the stadium.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The "problem" is when you recruit and sign over half your yearly freshmen classes from out of state and end up with a bunch of kids who came here to join a greek letter, party, and see a winner but with no strong link to the program at all.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Their description of these benefits is pretty vague. If they want the kids to take advantage of the benefits, they are going to have to be a lot more specific, and be of value to the students. I wonder if they ran this program past actual students to see if it is something that is likely to make a difference.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This will fail like the last time they tried this crap a few years back. When you have 10-13 hr security guards running the lines you’ll get what you pay for after a couple of games.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Their description of these benefits is pretty vague. If they want the kids to take advantage of the benefits, they are going to have to be a lot more specific, and be of value to the students. I wonder if they ran this program past actual students to see if it is something that is likely to make a difference.
UA SGA was a part of the announcement, so there had to be some student involvement. To what degree is the question.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They've also had a price increase for the student ticket package. I'm afraid those who are scrapping by on tuition scholarships and grant money will eventually find purchasing these tickets as a luxury.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They've also had a price increase for the student ticket package. I'm afraid those who are scrapping by on tuition scholarships and grant money will eventually find purchasing these tickets as a luxury.
Well I don't mean to just totally rain on any parade, but there is a market correction coming. And it will be massive, I'm afraid.

Ride the wave while you can, though, I guess.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
$15-$20/ticket is still insanely cheap. I don't have a problem with that. The entire season will cost less than a single text book.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well I don't mean to just totally rain on any parade, but there is a market correction coming. And it will be massive, I'm afraid.

Ride the wave while you can, though, I guess.
The real costs of college attendance, ticket prices, donor tier, or all of the above?! LOL

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
$15-$20/ticket is still insanely cheap. I don't have a problem with that. The entire season will cost less than a single text book.
Eh, and the students barely scrapping by will be working a shift a Domino's or whatever during every home game anyway...so they're gonna end up all going to the landed gentry's spawn anyway. :D

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Personally, I don't understand the desire to leave a game early. The stadium is the place to be during a game, or at least it was when I was a student. However, I don't agree with being sold a product and then being told how you have to use it. If they buy tickets and decide not to go or to leave early, that is their prerogative. If I bought a car, I would expect to use it at my leisure and not be told by the dealership how to use it, for example. If I buy a ticket to a ballgame, I have purchased the right to use that ticket or not. Now, if the university decided to shrink the student section based on usage, I think that would be fine. Perhaps that would encourage students to use their tickets or give them to other students who plan to stay for the entire game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
However, I don't agree with being sold a product and then being told how you have to use it. If they buy tickets and decide not to go or to leave early, that is their prerogative.
They're being offered a massive discount on the value of the ticket, the deal being they stay and remain engaged to cheer on the team. If they want to treat it as any other luxury, do away with students tickets and let the market dictate the value of their seats.

They can't have it both ways.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
They're being offered a massive discount on the value of the ticket, the deal being they stay and remain engaged to cheer on the team. If they want to treat it as any other luxury, do away with students tickets and let the market dictate the value of their seats.
They can't have it both ways.
Students get a student discounts because they are students. I don't really care if students leave in the 3rd quarter of a 55-0 game. Football is just entertainment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.