Free Solo 360 | National Geographic ( a 360 degree video)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Immerse yourself in the experience of free solo climbing Yosemite’s famous El Capitan alongside Alex Honnold in this breathtaking 360 video.

In case you haven't seen one of these....it's a 360 degree video. While it is playing, you can move the view around with your cursor.

In fact, if you choose not to move the cursor around, it's pretty boring.

Otherwise, it's pretty amazing.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Ain't. No. Way.

Impressive in the context that someone is able to do this but I fail to understand why anyone chooses to. I'm sure there are some TF folks who have done this and I think you're all crazy ! :D

I'll quote one of my buddies: "Never introduce risk where risk is unnecessary."

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i was entirely too afraid of heights to do too much climbing, even roped in. i knew a lot of climbers, but only remember one kid who worked for me who had done a lot of free soloing. he was a very talented climber but he told me he got stuck about 60-70 ft off of the ground and had to down climb a very difficult route to get out. he said he spent the entire down climb thinking he was going to die. he never free soloed again.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
dean potter, the guy who pulverized himself while base jumping in one of those flight suits did a lot of free soloing and also did a lot of "free" slacklining

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Saw that movie, still trying to grasp the strength in his fingertips.
I started a rock climbing club a few years ago at a school I was at and I just had to see this movie when I saw that it won an Oscar. The training the guy did to do this was incredible to see. Whenever I would climb I was scared to let go and I knew I would be caught by the belayer or the machine that was hooked up to me. You mention his fingertips, they looked bigger because they just looked more developed. If you have ever gone to a rock climbing gym I would highly recommend seeing this movie.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I was contracted a couple years ago to build a natural playground locally - but about halfway through the project - the management decided to do something different so we parted ways. Part of this playground was a small rock climbing wall. I got as far as building the walls and that was all. I still have the 'rocks' that I was going to attach to the wall. It was only going to be 8' tall but since this was for kids it would have been OK I think.

I think management got cold feet about liability to tell you the truth.

Here's a pic I took during construction. I picked up that section of culvert from the local landfill. The original spec was for something 3' high and I decided to get something taller so the adults could use it too! :D

IMG_9486.jpg

Those tires were just placed there so they wouldn't be in the way while we used the track machine. I painted them off site and thought they would jazz things up for the kids. Then management told me they wanted the tires to be plain so everything would (theoretically) blend into the natural background. I disagreed with this philosophy but in the end it didn't matter.

IMG_9491.jpg

These are the rocks I was going to use:

ONECOL.jpg

I even built a little clay model of the playground just like architects build scaled down models of their designs. I never did one before and was excited. Oh well....

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I was contracted a couple years ago to build a natural playground locally - but about halfway through the project - the management decided to do something different so we parted ways. Part of this playground was a small rock climbing wall. I got as far as building the walls and that was all. I still have the 'rocks' that I was going to attach to the wall. It was only going to be 8' tall but since this was for kids it would have been OK I think.

I think management got cold feet about liability to tell you the truth.

Here's a pic I took during construction. I picked up that section of culvert from the local landfill. The original spec was for something 3' high and I decided to get something taller so the adults could use it too! :D

View attachment 3513

Those tires were just placed there so they wouldn't be in the way while we used the track machine. I painted them off site and thought they would jazz things up for the kids. Then management told me they wanted the tires to be plain so everything would (theoretically) blend into the natural background. I disagreed with this philosophy but in the end it didn't matter.

View attachment 3514

These are the rocks I was going to use:

View attachment 3515

I even built a little clay model of the playground just like architects build scaled down models of their designs. I never did one before and was excited. Oh well....
This looks like a major project Bazza. I hope they reimbursed you for all the work you had already done.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I watched the movie about half a dozen times the week it came out on Nat Geo. If you liked it, check the "The Dawn Wall," too. I'm not a climber, but I find the topic fascinating.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I watched the movie about half a dozen times the week it came out on Nat Geo. If you liked it, check the "The Dawn Wall," too. I'm not a climber, but I find the topic fascinating.
i saw the movie on a flight home this week. i thought it was well done. it gave me the willies a few times when he was working through some of the wall sections in preparation for the big climb.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
One of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. Not for me, but I respect the kid for doing it. It made me think about the level of preparation involved for something like this.........seems more than I can imagine.

How does one plot their course? Drones?
I mean, once you commit, you're committed.....if the chosen path all of a sudden has no decent foot- or hand-holds, what do you do?
I wonder what his training regimen looks like?
How long did it take him to get to the top once he started? anyone know?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I started a rock climbing club a few years ago at a school I was at and I just had to see this movie when I saw that it won an Oscar. The training the guy did to do this was incredible to see. Whenever I would climb I was scared to let go and I knew I would be caught by the belayer or the machine that was hooked up to me. You mention his fingertips, they looked bigger because they just looked more developed. If you have ever gone to a rock climbing gym I would highly recommend seeing this movie.

I’m all for rock climbing GYMS. My daughter did it as one of her after school clubs in elementary a couple years ago and loved it. Climbing without ropes and safety equipment? Yeah, no.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I’m all for rock climbing GYMS. My daughter did it as one of her after school clubs in elementary a couple years ago and loved it. Climbing without ropes and safety equipment? Yeah, no.
You have to be a special kind of crazy to do it with no safety gear or ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
there is a great bouldering area called "boat rock" just west of the perimeter and south of i-20 off of fulton industrial boulevard. in the early 2000's, the southeastern climbers coalition purchased the land to prevent the area from being developed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.